Author Topic: GSG Sliders - tested again, arrrggghh  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Mister Tee

GSG Sliders - tested again, arrrggghh
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:09 AM »
So guess what.  I was doing a tight turn maneuver to get on to a sidewalk parking area, and grabbed way too much brake in the turn (the brakes abruptly grabbed) and went down on the right side.

Damage - scratches to the edge of the side case, small scratches on painted side fairing, larger scratches on the matte black portion.  Broken peg feeler.  No contact with the mirror.

The damage was a lot less than if I didn't have the GSG slider, but there was still damage that will require touch up and some light sanding.

Offline Conrad

Re: GSG Sliders - tested again, arrrggghh
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
Soory about that Tee.

Keep your hand off of that front brake next time man!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
i had a similar thing happened to me. I was backing the bike out of a parking spot ( on an incline) and the bike went over. No sliders but the my damage sounds like yours. I replaced the plastic to the tune of 690 bucks. Funny thing was, i had the canyon cages crash guards sitting in my garage, but hadn't had the time to install them!!

Bill

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
i had a similar thing happened to me. I was backing the bike out of a parking spot ( on an incline) and the bike went over. No sliders but the my damage sounds like yours. I replaced the plastic to the tune of 690 bucks. Funny thing was, i had the canyon cages crash guards sitting in my garage, but hadn't had the time to install them!!

Bill

See what happens when you tempt Fate? If those CCs weren't in the garage, or on the bike, it would have never happened.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »
Soory about that Tee.

Keep your hand off of that front brake next time man!

I know, conventional wisdom, and I'm used to applying front brakes LIGHTLY in a slow turn but it's one of those deals where I needed my feet for balance too, so the rear brake wasn't a viable option.  What I should have done of course was to not get myself in that predicament in the first place.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Concours 14 trike maybe?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »
Concours 14 trike maybe? Here's a zx

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »

Bill

:banghead:

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
I know, conventional wisdom, and I'm used to applying front brakes LIGHTLY in a slow turn but it's one of those deals where I needed my feet for balance too, so the rear brake wasn't a viable option.  What I should have done of course was to not get myself in that predicament in the first place.

How do your feet give you balance? Unless you are walking it of course.

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Feel your pain dude
and to Pokey kiss my arsh
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
Feel your pain dude
and to Pokey kiss my arsh

;D ;D ;D

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »
I have the gsg sliders as well, and heres  a question.  Do they have value if we still end up with scratched plastic? Yes, the damage might be less, but a repair is a repair. I believe the gsg's might have value in a higher speed incident in keeping the frame off the street, but not much in the low speed things.

I dont have the guts to remove mine. Thats asking, no begging, for  a tip over to happen.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
I have the gsg sliders as well, and heres  a question.  Do they have value if we still end up with scratched plastic? Yes, the damage might be less, but a repair is a repair. I believe the gsg's might have value in a higher speed incident in keeping the frame off the street, but not much in the low speed things.

I dont have the guts to remove mine. Thats asking, no begging, for  a tip over to happen.

I say yes, if all you get is some minor scratched plastic.  But, as I was touching up my minorly scratched plastic this weekend, I just noticed that the right lower fairing was CRACKED from the drop.

All I can say is if you're going to install some tipover protection, go with the real deal.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »
Dang I waited over a month to install my canyon cages and bag guards. Sorry about the pratfall. Hmmmm, maybe not so much a pratfall when it's expensive.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,