Author Topic: zx14 Header Question  (Read 4603 times)

Offline twozsforme

zx14 Header Question
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:56:14 AM »
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the stock c14 muffler would fit on the zx14 header (right side outlet) with little or no modification?  I'm looking for cheap header options to reduce the heat that the stock header creates.  I live in Japan and slow moving/ not moving traffic is my life.  I have to keep a stock looking exhaust on the bike to meet an "emissions” requirements.  My bike already passed the sniffer test now it just needs to look stock.  The header will be wrapped so it will look stock enough.  8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: zx14 Header Question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:08:54 AM »
If you remove the cats I doubt if it will pass emissions. Set it up with a cat free header, take it for testing with the zx mufflers which have the cats then put your slipons on till the next test.

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:22:21 AM »

If you remove the cats I doubt if it will pass emissions. Set it up with a cat free header, take it for testing with the zx mufflers which have the cats then put your slipons on till the next test.
  The Japanese inspectors are smarter than that  ;)

It passed emissions (sniffer) with the stock pipe already.  Every two years I have to get a visual inspection to remain street legal in Japan and no I do not want to switch exhaust out every time I have to get it inspected.  I'm just concerned about baking in traffic.  After owning my bike for 3 years and riding in a lot hotter weather than this for the first time ever I saw my bike reach the top bar on the temp gauge.  After that I decided that it was time to take some preventive measures to ensure my bike makes it back to the states alive. 

Offline Cuda

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
You can cut your collector open and remove the Cats in your stock header,
Or you can remove your muffler and get a long drill and cut them out so I have heard , saw it somewhere on the net did not try it my self, search Google ?
I believe I saw it on the ZX forum.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
Get the stock header ceramic coated. That will reduce the heat, & will be stock.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
When they ceramic coat the header do they coat the inside too?

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
When they ceramic coat the header do they coat the inside too?
Usually, but If You tell them Yours has converters in it, & You would just like the outside done, I'm sure any place you talk to would be happy to do it. You might even find a place that can do inside & out without harming the catalyst.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline curly

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:45 AM »
To answer your original question. No, the diameter of the zx-14 header outlets are different than the c14.  You could make it work if you have friends in the exhaust business. Currently I have dual exhaust with no cats and I really can't tell much difference in the heat output. Just my .02.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the input.  All great advice.  I think I am going to look in to ceramic coating locally.

Offline texrider

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
Have you tried wrapping the stock header, with the cat in?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
I would like to try wrapping the stock header but I want to have a spare on hand in case the wrapping destroys the header.  Stock c14 headers seem to be pretty hard to come by, at least for a decent price.  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the stock c14 muffler would fit on the zx14 header (right side outlet) with little or no modification?  I'm looking for cheap header options to reduce the heat that the stock header creates.  I live in Japan and slow moving/ not moving traffic is my life.  I have to keep a stock looking exhaust on the bike to meet an "emissions” requirements.  My bike already passed the sniffer test now it just needs to look stock.  The header will be wrapped so it will look stock enough.  8)

You know, this has been covered before, and right here on this site.  Search is your friend  ;)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1540.msg16989#msg16989
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
I did do a search initially but didn't find the info I was looking for. Thanks though.  8)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
I wrapped the ZX header with two inch heat cloth and it did help with the gas tank getting warm , I live in south Fl . It was 80 degrees at 12:30 AM on my way home :'( last night.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver