Author Topic: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals  (Read 12820 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Boomer, I didn't install the resistors anyway. I may go with the upgraded flasher eventually. I kinda like the faster flash, though. We'll see. Having ridden around with them flashing a little faster, I find that during the day I'm a lot less likely to forget to cancel my signal. The dash indicator seems to catch my eye better.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Hi Red, if you get one of the adjustable flash rate relays, you can choose your own flash rate.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163922558724

However, if you like your current flash speed, leave it as it is. :)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
BTW, this morning, riding in to work in the dark, I got to see how the high beams work. It lit up the whole inside of the car just as well as the outside! Idiot was not paying attention to the road and was riding the line and not allowing me to get past due to the big rig next to him (lane sharing is legal in Ca when done safely). The driver in the big rig moved for me, the idiot in the car ignored me.

I will say, these lit up the car better than the stock or even upgraded halogens did.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
get one of the adjustable flash rate relays, you can choose your own flash rate.

Yet something else I didn't know existed until now
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

I recently installed the front Switchback Lighting on my 2014.
Wow is an understatement!

The wiring/light installation was pretty straight forward (with a little help from John/gixer/hp)
But, the fairing was a PITA as I haven't been under the plastic in a while.

I have the rear Switchback Lighting and it should be EZ because of my learning on the front.
But I've never been under the plastic in the rear.
Can someone offer info or a video on how to get the plastic off/on?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
I recently installed the front Switchback Lighting on my 2014.
Wow is an understatement!

The wiring/light installation was pretty straight forward (with a little help from John/gixer/hp)
But, the fairing was a PITA as I haven't been under the plastic in a while.

I have the rear Switchback Lighting and it should be EZ because of my learning on the front.
But I've never been under the plastic in the rear.
Can someone offer info or a video on how to get the plastic off/on?

Ride safe, Ted

Is there a good tutorial site for the switchback install on the Concours? It would be great if somebody would take the time to put links to products, instructions and such together. I know it's asking a lot, but it seems like a great improvement for these, and any bike really.

More light = better visibility in all conditions.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Is there a good tutorial site for the switchback install on the Concours? It would be great if somebody would take the time to put links to products, instructions and such together. I know it's asking a lot, but it seems like a great improvement for these, and any bike really.

More light = better visibility in all conditions.

I hesitate to do it, as there’s a good plug and play product out there made by Gixer.

I don’t really want to step on his toes by making it that easy.

With that being said, I left the “other” forum because they don’t feel the same way about freedom of information exchange. Let me ponder this for a bit. I have to open my fairing back up anyway, I may do a write-up with it.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
I hesitate to do it, as there’s a good plug and play product out there made by Gixer.

I don’t really want to step on his toes by making it that easy.

With that being said, I left the “other” forum because they don’t feel the same way about freedom of information exchange. Let me ponder this for a bit. I have to open my fairing back up anyway, I may do a write-up with it.

Is the Gixer product the one that he makes that is "plug and play"?  If so, I remember looking at them at the time. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap.

I am not on the other forum much. I don't understand the whole thing of needing to renew your membership each year and making a payment of $0 is just strange.
Scott

Offline Big Red

• Arena
From what I understand, Gixer's kit is plug and play, and it is not cheap.

The other forum wants $37 a year. I understand that an organized club has costs, but I'm not interested in all that nonsense. I offered to contribute a lower rate to maintain forum access, but not only was that shot down but the "forum glitch" that allowed me access past 6 months as a trial, was "fixed". I personally considered it a shadow ban for speaking up, and I fervently oppose pay walls. Information should be free to share.

I will do a write up, but it is going to have to wait until the weekend. I'm going to do it in a way that only requires a wire stripper/crimper, a pair of pliers, a lighter or hair dryer/heat gun, and a knife.

If anyone is interested in getting the parts and following along...

T-taps: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MLPBPW5/  OR  Posi-Taps https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H242NNY/
Sockets: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096RPQ4MP
Heat shrink butt connectors with adhesive lining: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097MVQLSL/
18 gauge hookup wire: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0746HMTPP/

Parts are $40 plus tax, and the bulbs I used for the front https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09C234Y12/ are $27.

You could do front and back for about $100. The backs are easy as long as you don't want brake light functionality with the turn signals. Just running lights and turns. Backs, which I haven't done yet, but just ordered to do this weekend: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/product/B08H4MXQMZ/

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
The backs are easy as long as you don't want brake light functionality with the turn signals.

Yeah, that would be weird.  It would have to be dim red all the time, then switch to blinking yellow only for turning, and then I guess alternate between bright red and yellow for braking and turning at the same time?  Or perhaps just ignore brake when turning (that seems more rational)?  I kinda doubt a bulb like that exists.  Although I have been surprised more than once lately.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

Maxtog, a bulb like that does exist. I have them on one of my C-10's.
But someone prior to me installed them, so I don't know where they came from or how their wired.

The problem with the signal lights being brake lights too is; the 2 sides have to be connected together to be brake lights.
So, to use them as signals, you have to install diodes {or other} to separate the power.
(ie; prevent a left (or right) signal from powering the opposite side when you use the turn signals)
I tried to wire one of my C-10's to do that. I was unsuccessful.
I'll be waiting to see how Big Red does his wiring. Saaaaalute!

NOTE: I've cut/spliced enough wires in my life, so I'm more into the Switchback Lighting from Gixer.
ie; Unplug 1 connection and plug his harness into it.
Very EZ to do. He did a very good job on the design.
Yea, it's kinda expensive, but it's excellent harness and bulbs.
Quality package.

My problem with the Switchback install was getting the fairing plastic off and back on.  :o
Compared to my C-10's, the C-14 is a PITA.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Maxtog, a bulb like that does exist. I have them on one of my C-10's.
But someone prior to me installed them, so I don't know where they came from or how their wired.

The problem with the signal lights being brake lights too is; the 2 sides have to be connected together to be brake lights.
So, to use them as signals, you have to install diodes {or other} to separate the power.
(ie; prevent a left (or right) signal from powering the opposite side when you use the turn signals)
I tried to wire one of my C-10's to do that. I was unsuccessful.
I'll be waiting to see how Big Red does his wiring. Saaaaalute!

That's exactly why I said no to that. I'm changing out the rear signals to "dim" red running lights and "bright" red for the turns. This is a common setup for most cars nowadays, and I think it'll look good. We'll find out this weekend as long as everything shows up.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Not pretty, and I could've done the fronts a little neater. I have canyon cages, though. And I've not cut the panels to make getting them on and off easier. Next time I go to get in there, I will.

So here's the OEM and new plug:

After cutting off the side tabs, some of the latching side, and half of the visible tab. This was done to make it close to the OEM tab positions.

If you pull these four rivets and two screws in the front wheel well, as well as the top 3 panel screws on the side, you can get your hand in there to change the bulb without pulling cages and panels:

Pull your sockets and wire them like this:

Buttoned up with fabric loom tape:

I didn't bother cleaning up the fronts yet, due to the aforementioned cage issue. But I ran the red wire to the city lights and used my t-tap on the power feed up there. The power is the one with the stripe on it, at least on my 2010. Front installed with yellow->red running to the city light feed:

Reassemble and you're done with the fronts. Lots of other write-ups for those. Now to the rears which are a bit more detailed.

Pull the cover under the luggage tray, two bolts:

Remove the luggage tray, four bolts:

Remove brake light bracket, one bolt on each side. Be mindful that these also hold the reflector bracket:

Remove top side-panel bolts. Total of four, two each side:

Remove bottom side screw rivets. These are hot garbage. They "unscrew" then pull out like a push rivet. I highly recommend replacing these with standard push rivets. I forgot about these and had already replaced the ones on the right side. I FOUGHT with the left. There are three on each side, totaling six.

The last one above isn't required to remove the side panel, just the turn panel. Once you have these removed, the side covers will pop off. There is a post and socket at the front of the panel, that's the only other thing holding it on.

Stand behind the bike, grasp both turn signals and pull straight back. This panel will come off of two posts and sockets. Be mindful that the wires are still connected.

Once off, turn the sockets and remove them. Set the rear panel aside. You don't have to remove the tool box and slide the ecu out of the way, but it does make it a little easier.

Wire up your rears like the pic above. Same as the fronts. For the rear, I tapped into the running light for the tail light. I alread had taps on it for my lightbar that died. On my bike this feed was red. My right turn signal connector was natural colored, the left was green colored.

All you have to do is put it back together. This is what the socket looks like from the inside. You can more easily see the modified tabs.

Here's all the lights on in running mode:

And click for a video with the turn signal flashing:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:47:07 PM by Big Red »

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Since the rears weren't too bad, I may try to throw some diodes in there to see if I can get them to work on brake lights, too.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Those look great and thanks for the write up with images!

We have a major change coming and may be moving and if we do, I may sell the Concours and then buy another once we are settled in. I don't think it makes sense to have my 2009 with 45k miles on it shipped and I don't know that a road trip to possibly ride cross country during summer is in my future. But, we will see. I will keep this post though, for future.
Scott

Offline connie_rider

Muchas thanky Big Red.
Well done!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Big Red

• Arena
I have a small 3 to 2 way trailer tail light adapter on the way. There will be an addition this weekend. I really like the added night visibility of the turn signals as running lights, and I will be adding braking to them. There will be an update sometime later this week/weekend.

EDIT: The trailer adapter didn’t work. Not sure if I got a bad one, or just incompatible. More work is needed. I’ll keep you all posted.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 03:18:58 PM by Big Red »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
From what I recall and I don't have a manual anymore, the C14 uses Canbus (not Cannabis) for electrical.  Sometimes plugging in to that can issues.  I take it that the connector plugs in but nothing works?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
From what I recall and I don't have a manual anymore, the C14 uses Canbus

Although I think you are right, I don't think it uses canbus for the lighting.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
From what I recall and I don't have a manual anymore, the C14 uses Canbus (not Cannabis) for electrical.  Sometimes plugging in to that can issues.  I take it that the connector plugs in but nothing works?

It wasn't a canbus issue. I think one (or more) of the diodes in the dongle were shorted. I ha partial functionality, but turns were feeding both rear lights instead of just one. I think I may have found another option. Time will tell.