Author Topic: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals  (Read 12748 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Installed LEDs all the way around. Headlights, city lights, turn signals
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »
Looks good.
I are impressed!

I also think it looks good.  Great price.  But I would have mounted it on the bottom of the license plate holder to create more size of the bike/lighting.

Hey, he can always add a second one :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 09:22:06 AM »

So a few chips in the strip died. I found this seller on Amazon, Like $8 for two strips. https://amazon.com/dp/B07W89RZZR
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
On your bike the lower rear fender and reflector were removed?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2022, 03:20:50 PM »

Ride safe, Ted

Mine looks the same. I didn't like the look of it hanging down as far as it did and I don't ride in the rain often, so it doesn't make too much of a mess.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2022, 03:37:10 PM »
Headlights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/

So, these actually have a tiny fan in it to cool it? But it only circulates the air inside the headlight housing itself. Seems strange, but apparently works as you are saying you have had no issues. Still running strong?

I have put LEH headlights in 2 of my cars (both 2006 model year vehicles) and I went with fanless as I didn't want the fan going out and then the bulb dying an early life, but I know the Concours has space limitations if we want to use the original connector covers.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »
I have fanless LED headlight bulbs in my C14.  (Plenty of older threads).  There is plenty of room for an effective passive heatsink.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22202.0   "Also, I could test the heatsinks.  They do get warm, but even after being on a hour riding, then sitting still for 5 minutes, I can place my hand on them with no discomfort."  [Unfortunately most photos on old threads are lost, and we can't edit them to add the photos back]

Bulbs that have fans might be able to shed heat better, but my experience with small (and often cheap) fans is not good.  And the C14 is not weather-proof nor dust-proof in that area.  Small fans there WILL fail, especially those designed to go into far more weather-proof cars.  They also pull additional power.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2022, 05:45:44 PM »
I remember seeing your thread years ago and I followed along with most of it but didn't feel inclined to make the change since it seemed like the LED technology was still changing for the better. Obviously, we are now almost 5 years past your initial post in that thread and I am again thinking of making the change. When I commute to work, it's always in the dark in the morning (but has been only a handful of times since Covid).

Doing a quick Amazon search, I found these which are fanless and non-adjustable angles.
Only $40 ($20 for one), but look like the ones Big Red posted:
https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headlight-Motorcycle-Light-6000K/dp/B092SHMWQZ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3OFW54JP8UBIJ&keywords=h4+led+bulb&qid=1643761646&sprefix=h4+led+bulb%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-8

I also found these which are a funky design, but they claim better heat dissipation because of it for $37 and my Chrome browser says I can get a $10 off coupon at checkout:
https://www.amazon.com/OXILAM-Headlight-Motorcycle-Conversion-Replacement/dp/B09HS7499B/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3OFW54JP8UBIJ&keywords=h4+led+bulb&qid=1643761646&sprefix=h4+led+bulb%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-16

And then I found a BeamTech bulb (I put BeamTech's in both of the other cars, but they have giant heat syncs behind the bulb):
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-H1-Headlight-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B07L5KW26Y/ref=sr_1_44?crid=3OFW54JP8UBIJ&keywords=h4+led+bulb&qid=1643761646&sprefix=h4+led+bulb%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-44

Thoughts on any of these options?
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2022, 06:13:11 PM »
I remember seeing your thread years ago and I followed along with most of it but didn't feel inclined to make the change since it seemed like the LED technology was still changing for the better. Obviously, we are now almost 5 years past your initial post in that thread and I am again thinking of making the change. When I commute to work, it's always in the dark in the morning (but has been only a handful of times since Covid).

Yeah, I expect the technology has probably continued to improve since the model I picked.  At least, one would hope.  I feel for you, trying to figure out what to buy is horrible because you can't believe or trust most "specifications" which lie about everything, and most users' reviews being generally useless.  And when a reasonable model does come out, they often disappear before any long-term data is known.

I can say that the bulbs I chose were, in fact, dimmer than the HID I had before.  But the HID had to be replaced because the bulb hi/low movement was sticking and the bulbs were scorching the reflector.  At least what I found has a great pattern and is a little brighter than the conventional bulbs.

Doing a quick Amazon search, I found these which are fanless and non-adjustable angles.

Yikes.  No heat sink OUTSIDE the headlamp assembly.  That is a big red flag.  And having no adjustability is a negative (to me, anyway).  Also only claim 30K hours life, when 50K is the standard.  I like that there are no external power boxes (which is surprising) but that means the regulator is ALSO at/in the bulb, adding more heat!

I also found these which are a funky design, but they claim better heat dissipation because of it

But still no heat sink outside the assembly.

And then I found a BeamTech bulb

Ditto

LED's are very sensitive to overheating.  Too much heat will make them dimmer faster and reduce their life.  I can't believe they can dump enough heat INSIDE the headlight enclosure to be safe.  Perhaps the technology has changed and my assumptions are no longer valid, though?

But from what I still think is true, I would look for a fanless design with a reasonable external heatsink, as well as adjustable tilt (if possible).

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2022, 09:00:00 PM »
Yikes.  No heat sink OUTSIDE the headlamp assembly.  That is a big red flag.  And having no adjustability is a negative (to me, anyway).  Also only claim 30K hours life, when 50K is the standard.  I like that there are no external power boxes (which is surprising) but that means the regulator is ALSO at/in the bulb, adding more heat!

But still no heat sink outside the assembly.
For these BeamTech bulbs, I did see this in the Q&A section: The H4 mounting flange comes off, so the bulb can fit through the rubber boot. It is a simple twist and pull off design, and easily goes back on.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-Fanless-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B071778DGG/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=h4+led+fanless+headlight+bulb&qid=1643767666&sprefix=h4+led+fanless%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-15

Or these look good as well:
https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headlight-9000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B07DGTTTKN/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?cv_ct_cx=h4+led+fanless+headlight+bulb&keywords=h4+led+fanless+headlight+bulb&pd_rd_i=B07DGTTTKN&pd_rd_r=3e96ebbf-93f0-49a7-8455-5343a1a46edc&pd_rd_w=beLpj&pd_rd_wg=jMtEK&pf_rd_p=4ad71b32-b810-4124-8735-d02a39478d0c&pf_rd_r=W654PDCBZMYDSAW65ZGR&qid=1643774526&sprefix=h4+led+fanless%2Caps%2C133&sr=1-3-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNjA2Nk9aMTVUVlMyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTQ1MzQxMUVGTVNSUVZKNjBORCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTE1OTUwVzJVNVJLOVUwOEVXJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Scott

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 09:42:06 AM »
So, these actually have a tiny fan in it to cool it? But it only circulates the air inside the headlight housing itself. Seems strange, but apparently works as you are saying you have had no issues. Still running strong?

I have put LEH headlights in 2 of my cars (both 2006 model year vehicles) and I went with fanless as I didn't want the fan going out and then the bulb dying an early life, but I know the Concours has space limitations if we want to use the original connector covers.

I put the LEDs in, all the way around, March 7th, 2021. I ride pretty much every day, as I ride 25 minutes each way from work and some long hauls on the weekend. Like 3 hours at a time. I checked my mileage since installed, and I've got 10k miles on these bulbs.

I have been SUPER impressed with the longevity of the Auxito H4 bulb with the tiny internal fan. I rode all summer in the Phoenix valley, and none of the LEDs had issues. It was below freezing with the windchill a couple of weekends ago when the ol'lady and I went up to Show Low. Still, the lights work great.

And right now a pair is only $40. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQLK6SH/
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »
LED's are very sensitive to overheating.  Too much heat will make them dimmer faster and reduce their life.  I can't believe they can dump enough heat INSIDE the headlight enclosure to be safe.  Perhaps the technology has changed and my assumptions are no longer valid, though?

Your assumptions are correct, and I cannot speak to the construction of the bulbs I've chosen. What I can say as someone who has built a lot of custom LED stuff, the problem is uneven heating. If the whole backside of LED has good contact with it's heat sink, it heats and cools evenly, greatly increasing its lifespan. It's like bending a coat hanger until it breaks, just on a much smaller scale. The little bond wires in the LED chip will fatigue, break, and cause arcing, which gives the tell-tale dark spot of a dead LED.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »
With the city lights installed and hazards lit:

City lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/

Just curious, why didn't you use amber city lights, to give a different color from the front?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MWU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AFCCAHNOW2XSP&psc=1

I am going to replace my current amber non-LED with those since I like the look with the different color.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 04:20:28 PM »
Just curious, why didn't you use amber city lights, to give a different color from the front?
I am going to replace my current amber non-LED with those since I like the look with the different color.

That is my current and previous recommendation (for many years now).  There isn't any point to having city lights at all, if they are the same color as the headlights.  They are too close and just blend in.  The only other legal color is amber (yellow).... so it only makes sense to make them amber, and as bright as possible.

And since the C14 has no front parking/marker lights, I reversed the function of the front turn singnals so they are on all the time (with bright amber LED).  The turn signal operation flashes them off instead of on.  Again, I see people interested in the concept but then use "switchback" ones that remain white instead of amber but blink amber.  I think that is a waste of another opportunity to expand the front and side visibility in the best way possible- more amber!!!

Or is that... more cowbell??

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 05:01:24 PM »
I switched my city lights to amber.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 06:56:27 PM »
I just ordered the Amber city lights from that link and the LED headlights from the last link I posted. I will post images after install and attempt to use the same camera settings on the camera for the best comparison of light quantity and spread.
Scott

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2022, 08:36:08 AM »

I like the all white lighting in the front. If I wasn't concerned about heat buildup in the front turn signal housings, I'd install switchbacks there, and they'd all be white. I personally turn my engine off and cycle the ignition while I'm sitting at a few really long lights in Central Phoenix. Sitting with an engine notorious for putting off a lot of heat frankly sucks. Having bright, white city lights in this case, works.

Amber is pretty cool, too. I love mods of all sorts, even just color changes. It frankly never occurred to me to do it. But again, I prefer all white front lighting.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,

Sorry, not sure how I missed this one. Yeah. I did a tail tidy. I don't like the look of big fenders on the back of a sporty bike. I would've pulled the reflective tape off the saddle bags, but I like that I can take the bag off and use it as a sorta traffic cone if I need to pull over.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2022, 04:21:41 AM »
If I wasn't concerned about heat buildup in the front turn signal housings, I'd install [LED] there

I have not had problems with heat in the turn signal housings.  Probably because the wattage is much lower.  Although I have had reliability problems with some of those type of LED bulbs.  I have only used one model/brand, and the front array inevitably starts to flicker after a few years in certain conditions.  I think it is just a design flaw that vibration causes the tiny front circuit board to become defective.  All the rest of the LED elements, wrapped around the barrel, continue to work fine.  Interestingly it happens when it is really cold outside (not hot).  Anyway, since it is only a tiny number of the total number of LED's on the bulb, it isn't that noticeable.  I swapped in two new bulbs (same model, sent to me under warranty claim) after a few years and after a few years, the second set did the same thing.  Meh, whatever.  :)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2022, 09:55:44 AM »
I have not had problems with heat in the turn signal housings.

I'm glad to hear you haven't had issues. I may re-consider doing switchbacks. I guess if heat does build up and gives me a problem, I can just get new housings. They're not terribly expensive.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2022, 06:59:32 PM »
Got the new LED's installed.
I forgot how easy the city lights are.
I attached the images, so they don't get lost in the ether later if the hosting sights change their rules like PhotoBucket did.
1. City lights, with the LED on the left side of the image.

I didn't want to wait for it to get dark to install the headlights, so I used my camera to keep the settings the same, for the best comparison.
2. Standard halogen bulbs on low.
3. LED bulbs on low before adjusting the height down some.
4. LED bulbs on low after adjusting them down.
Scott