Author Topic: Shorter kickstand.  (Read 794 times)

gpineau

Shorter kickstand.
« on: April 09, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »

I just got my new lower links installed. The bike is ready to tip over.

Who is a source of the shorter kickstands?  Should I just cut it myself and tack the end back on it?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Shorter kickstand.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 01:47:41 PM »

gpineau

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
Holy cow! Pricy, no kidding. Almost as much as I paid for the shorting links. 

I think I will just get a used one on ebay and cut it to size.

ANYONE have any experience with this modification. How much to cut off?

gpineau

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 02:06:57 PM »
A quick comment on how this job went.

I did not have the proper tools so it took me a little longer than it should have. I had a 18mm socket to fit the bolts but the ratchet was not not long enough to get enough leverage to break the bolts loose. I couldn't find the pipe that I usually slip over the end of the ratchet for use as a break-over-bar. Finally found an old tube muffler and used that to break the nuts loose.  After that it took maybe 15 minutes. The bike was up on a jack and after installing the upper end of the links I slowly lowered the jack until I could line up the lower bolt and slide it through the rocker (dog-bone). 

The bike is probably already an inch lower and I have not even changed the factory settings on the links. It will go much lower but I put the seat on it and jump on it. My feet are flat on the ground in my tennis shoes. So I think that is as far as i want to go.

I think it is not possible for someone without a motorcycle jack to finish this without using the center stand and a very strong helper.  I remember the other one I lowered 1.25 inches and I had to cut out the center stand because it was causing interference.  While I was under the bike I noticed the center stand has already been cut out.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 02:46:33 PM »
Heat and bend the stock stand slightly outboard.
Can be done on the bike. Just heat/bend below the spring perch (near the foot of the stand).
Cost $00.00
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 04:46:43 PM »
Wont that make the stand poke out away from the frame when it is in the up position?

I already catch my pants leg on it sometimes

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »
Bend it near the foot. Not at the top.
So, the entire stand is not moved out.
Will only require about 1/2" of offset.

The tab {that you use the push the stand down} can be shortened if needed.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
Connie rider, I got a replacement stand on EBAY.
Can you point to where to heat, where to bend and how much?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 08:23:26 AM »
I can't accurately say how much, as that is dependent on each individual bike.
ie; Depends on amount of drop, and size of tire.
That is why I bent mine on the bike.
(I heated the stand [slightly red] and used the bikes weight to bend the stand to the appropriate angle).
NOTE: On my bike photo's are not possible.
    I (later) added a C-14 rear shock, re-raised the bike, and re-straightened the stand.

On your bike, I would bend the stand about 1 1/2" below the spring perch. (close to the "Y" foot push brace)
My guess is about 10*.
NOTE: After bending, the foot will "not" set parallel to the ground. {I didn't worry about it}
If this is a concern, you can heat just above the foot, and bend the tip "down" so that it sets parallel to the ground.
(Basically bend a "S" or dog leg in the stand)...

All this sounds difficult, but is very EZ to do, and {if you bend too much}, the bend can be corrected.
NOTE: I let the stand air cool after heating.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: As you have a spare, and the original is still on the bike; I would heat/bend the original.
      Last thought; Be aware that you could have gas present. As well as plastic and electrical part's are below the bike.
      So, direct the heat away from the bike.
       I also used a wet rag to cover/protect what I could and had a fire extinguisher available.

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:27 PM »
i used map gas and a torch to heat the kickstand but it never got hot enough to bend.  ended up cutting off an 1.5 inch of the lower part of the kickstand then welding it back together. That did the trick. Now it will lean left regardless of the angle you turn the front wheel.

Angle grinder cut right through in less than a minute. With cutting and welding the whole exercise took less than an hour.

Since I cut below the spring and magnet it folds right up  and activates the stand switch like normal.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:23:21 PM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
Well done.

I used Map Gas on one bike, and on another bike I just used Propane.
A agree, it takes patience to get it hot enough.

Ride safe, Ted