Author Topic: Bike running rich  (Read 898 times)

Offline mrhedges

Bike running rich
« on: March 08, 2021, 07:21:59 PM »
I'm a fairly new owner of a '86 Connie. The guy I got it from told me that he rebuilt the carbs with bigger jets. Bike runs fine, doesn't stumble at 2k or anything and starts super easily. You can smell gas in the exhaust so it's running rich it also only gets about 28-30 mpg. I'd like to return it to stock or at least get it so it returns 35-40 mpg and isn't running rich. Should I get new jets that are the stock size? increase the airflow to the airbox? decrease the airflow?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Bike running rich
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:37:58 PM »
I get close to 40 mpg mixed city and hwy.

If you want to mess with the jets and airflow...Check out the 2 Minute Mod Jet Kit

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »
Stock main is 125, stock pilot is 35. My 2001 preferred 120 mains.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:09:06 PM »
Thank you. Useful info.

Stock main is 125, stock pilot is 35. My 2001 preferred 120 mains.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »
if you can smell it idling or at part throttle, its probably the pilots he went up on. if that's the case, turn the fuel screws in in 1/2 turn increments until its better. I run bigger ones on one of my 2 and the fuel screws are in quite a bit to increase circuit velocity.

just fyi... the mains don't come into play until 3/4 to wide open throttle.

also check if the needles are shimmed. he may have gotten a bit heavy handed.

also double check the enricher cable is releasing all the way and not hanging up one of the plungers from seating all the way. (do this 1st)

and make sure he didn't jam anything in the airbox to richen it up, especially the intakes at the back of the airbox. while steve does this, its in conjunction with other mods. some people have just tried restricting there and done nothing else, and that's a half-assed incorrect way to do the job. 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
Another great post. I forgot all these things. I haven't ridden almost all winter. That's a problem too.

Offline mrhedges

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 06:57:18 AM »
if you can smell it idling or at part throttle, its probably the pilots he went up on. if that's the case, turn the fuel screws in in 1/2 turn increments until its better. I run bigger ones on one of my 2 and the fuel screws are in quite a bit to increase circuit velocity.

just fyi... the mains don't come into play until 3/4 to wide open throttle.

also check if the needles are shimmed. he may have gotten a bit heavy handed.

also double check the enricher cable is releasing all the way and not hanging up one of the plungers from seating all the way. (do this 1st)

and make sure he didn't jam anything in the airbox to richen it up, especially the intakes at the back of the airbox. while steve does this, its in conjunction with other mods. some people have just tried restricting there and done nothing else, and that's a half-assed incorrect way to do the job.

thanks so much, this is really useful info. My buddy noticed it smelled like gas at stop signs when we were riding together.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »
it could also be a leaky float as well. id def recommend pulling the plugs and looking at them see if its just 1 cyl (prob mech carb issue) or across all 4 (tuning issue).

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
You may or may not have Over Flow Tubes but you should check anyway AND you should do some reading into what causes Hydro-lock on  these bikes and ask more questions on how to prevent hydro lock.  Most people do get over 40 MPG with normal driving so you may have a few issues. 
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle