Author Topic: Camshaft retainer caps.  (Read 901 times)

Offline jacksdad

Camshaft retainer caps.
« on: January 05, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
Hi, I've bought a used cylinder head, got it very cheap, but! All 10 camshaft caps are missing, I do have a set from my scrapped head, but can they be fitted to this one?
I have a feeling they are machined as a complete set, in matched pairs, is this the case?
Thanks, Mike

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Camshaft retainer caps.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:07:24 AM »
They are line bored as a set. Head needs it's matching caps and should have been sold with them. It's scrap without them.
You might get away with replacing one cap if yer lucky but I doubt if all of them will work.
What was wrong with your old head?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:42:50 AM »
I just bought it as it was cheap! When it came, the caps were missing, I contacted the seller as soon as I'd unpacked it: Told him they are a matched set. He hasn't got the caps so refunded me. I've got the original head off my bike that has a broken exhaust stud/oilway damage so have all the bits. I did think they are a complete set, so nothing lost.  :D

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »
Cool, I'll have a look through my stuff and see if I have a head with caps that is serviceable and let you know.
I should have a couple of them somewhere in the garage or shed.
They will probably need the valves cleaning and lapping and new valve stem seals but otherwise should be usable.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »
Thats great George, thanks. I was going to rebuild this head, something I've done many times (Did my mates Z1R engine when we were just 18 years old....LONG time ago!). I actually really enjoy rebuilding engines, I also fitted a brand new head on my Isuzu Trooper, 3.0 Twin Cam 16 Valve Turbo Diesel..that was a huge bit of work!  ;D
I'm planning on keeping my Gtr for a while, it is a cracking bike, hard to believe its 26 years old next, not perfect but what bike ever is?  ;)