Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 894 times)

Offline kkja13

Front Wheel Bearings
« on: December 15, 2020, 07:04:33 AM »
Kind of a survey...

When replacing the front wheel bearings do you assemble them dry or do you add some grease inside the lip seal on the right side?

The manual doesn't mention grease between the bearing and the seal.  I've heard that some folks do this.

I normally add grease to the speedo mechanism on the left side., and anti-seize to the axle.

The bearings themselves are sealed.

Offline greenie

• Arena
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »
I didn't use grease but I did leave the new bearings in the freezer overnight until just before pressing them in.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Shouldn't need any grease as the bearings are sealed.
I wind mine into place using a length of studding, some spacers, 2 nuts, and 2 large sockets that only press on the outer shell of the bearings.
Can't remember the size of the sockets but I think it's 40mm or 41mm for the 86-93 front wheel bearings.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »
This must be a study in reading comprehension, and/or making an assumption ;)

Bearings sealed, as the OP mentions. Think most of the C-10 crowd goobers in a bit of (not called for) grease when bearings are installed, on the front/rear axle shaft, or any components that may (or may not) come in contact with a wheel bearing.

Me? I add a dollop of lube on either side of front wheel bearings if only to reduce/eliminate corrosion between tire changes. Similar for rear axle. If you doubt me, look at the radial grease streaks on my tires/tyres/tars ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 05:38:30 AM »
grease the dust seal? on the wheel hub a bit? yes.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline kkja13

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Those grease streaks are kind of artsy!
My wheel has them so I must of added the grease last time...I've slept since then.

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
I've just replaced all the bearings on my 1995 bike, I removed the side seals and found just a tiny bit of grease on the outer surface only, so I packed in a little more, ensuring the rollers etc. were actually coated, then refitted the seals. These are decent make bearings as well, don't go for the budget options where possible  ;)

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:10:14 AM »
I've just replaced all the bearings on my 1995 bike, I removed the side seals and found just a tiny bit of grease on the outer surface only, so I packed in a little more, ensuring the rollers etc. were actually coated, then refitted the seals. These are decent make bearings as well, don't go for the budget options where possible  ;)

I haven't done this on the bike yet but I do that on idler and tensioner bearings on my vehicles . I've seen some of those with little to no grease in them right out of the box .