Author Topic: Front rotors from China.  (Read 17688 times)

Offline mike-s4

Front rotors from China.
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
Hi Guys,
My warranty is now finished on my 08. Kawasaki replaced the front rotors 2 times no charge. The third set is now starting to shake again at 57000 Kilometers. I decided to try some aftermarket rotors. The oem discs obviously have a problem.
I found these on ebay for $194.00 US for the set. FREE SHIPPING!   Ordered them on Oct-31 and they came in this morning Nov-9. That's 7 working days delivery from China to Canada.(no extra fees or taxes)
The quality is excellent. The carriers are cnc machined while the oem carriers appear to be a stamping. I installed them this morning and went out for a test ride. Smooth as silk. Time will tell if they stay straight, but if they last as long as the original rotors,, for 97 dollars each I'll be very happy. 
The only difference dimensionally i could find is the oem rotor has a small recess on the inside where it rests on the hub. There is a thin gasket/shim that fits flush in this recess. Since the new rotor did not have this recess, i did not install it with the spacer.
I'll do a follow-up after i put some miles on them.   

Offline Steve Bell

Re: Front rotors from China.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
My Galfer rotors were the same design with no recess, so Galfer told me to leave the stock shim out.
Good luck with the new rotors.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
I will be very interested to hear how these rotors hold up.  Once my warranty expires (2 more years) I might try a set of them if they work well for you.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
Wow. They look pretty well made. Hope the work good for Ya.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »
Can't work any worse than than the stockers.   Well maybe they could, but we'll see.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:42 AM »
I think I will as well. I do have this "china" thing in mind, but its not logical.  I've been screwed my way more "made in usa" or  "EBC" products than I care to comment on.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
Non-union made too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »
Am I the first person to put these on a Connie?  The zx14 forums have positive posts about them. I did a search here but found nothing.     

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:35 AM »
It's possibly the first time here...  ZX-14s have the same rotor issues that we have.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:04:04 AM »
There was a member who posted a thread stating he was thinking about them and IIRC he was swayed by the naysayers.   
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:18:12 AM »
Which occurs whenever the C word is mentioned....

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:40 AM »
What's the actual make of the rotors?

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »
Brand is ARASHI. part number DBS059W.  Here`s the link..
 http://www.arashimoto.com/product/604.html

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
Never know.  These might prove to be superior to OEM.  China's manufacturing has gotten a lot better over the last decade.  Time will tell I suppose.
T.S.R.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
Never know.  These might prove to be superior to OEM.  China's manufacturing has gotten a lot better over the last decade.  Time will tell I suppose.

And for all we know, the STOCK OEM ones might be made in China.  Japan outsources, too.

I love it when people put down Japanese vehicles as "Foreign" when lots of them are even made in the USA, and a lot of "native" brands are made with more than 50% components, design, materials, or labor not from/in the USA.  It is a global economy now.  There is some very good stuff made in China, and a lot of really bad crap.  But that can be said for many points of origin.

One thing is for sure- the vast majority of every electronic devices we consume are made in China, as is furniture, toys, housewares, etc.  If we suddenly stopped all Chinese imports, our entire economy would instantly collapse and the standard of living would be decimated.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
And for all we know, the STOCK OEM ones might be made in China.  Japan outsources, too.

I love it when people put down Japanese vehicles as "Foreign" when lots of them are even made in the USA, and a lot of "native" brands are made with more than 50% components, design, materials, or labor not from/in the USA.  It is a global economy now.  There is some very good stuff made in China, and a lot of really bad crap.  But that can be said for many points of origin.

One thing is for sure- the vast majority of every electronic devices we consume are made in China, as is furniture, toys, housewares, etc.  If we suddenly stopped all Chinese imports, our entire economy would instantly collapse and the standard of living would be decimated.

:goodpost:

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
Sorry I won't be able to report on the long term reliability until spring. It's pretty cold up here in Canada . We've been lucky enough to be able to ride this late in the season, but it's about time to put it away for the winter.

Mike

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Thanks for posting the price, source and photos. It would be great to have a second, more reasonable source for rotors for this bike. Those rotors actually look like they are pretty high in quality and are better looking than the OEM's IMO, and the carrier certainly looks more rugged.

Rotors are a pretty basic device, and as long as the steel used is not terrible in quality (which is really touch to do with modern equipment), and they are ground flat to begin with, they should be quite serviceable. There have been Chinese rotors available for autos for years and they have been successful from what I have seen and without any particular problems or failures.

Brian

Sorry I won't be able to report on the long term reliability until spring. It's pretty cold up here in Canada . We've been lucky enough to be able to ride this late in the season, but it's about time to put it away for the winter.

Mike
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »

Mike

What pads are you running and did you change them when you installed the rotors?

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »

Rotors are a pretty basic device, and as long as the steel used is not terrible in quality (which is really touch to do with modern equipment), and they are ground flat to begin with, they should be quite serviceable. There have been Chinese rotors available for autos for years and they have been successful from what I have seen and without any particular problems or failures.

Brian

Exactly. The oem front rotors on my volvo are over $150.00 each. I have had no problems with the $35.00 Chinese replacements from my local auto parts. Over 50000 km on them!