Author Topic: Surging, possible o2 sensor issue with Autotune...  (Read 18600 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Surging
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
Who sold you the sensor?  Did it come with the exhaust system?  If so, I would go through them to get the correct one.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
Thanks Fretka, it may be something I pick up this evening.  A quick question, my AFR reading on the Dynojet PCV program shows a steady 9.99 AFR, regardless of throttle position or RPM.  Even tried the differant maps, do you think this may be an indication the sensor is bad?  Accepted trims, no change to readout.

I cleaned out the filter, wasnt too bad.  I added the FI cleaner, ran it for 10 minutes, shut her down, repeated several times over the course of 2 hours.  Still getting the surge.  I also tried a coupla differant maps I had stored.  Havent ridden it yet, but the surging is still there.  Maybe my engine is getting READY TO GRENADE? ;) (MaryJoe Tinklepants for BDF!)

Can you just turn off the autotune and run a generic map on the PCV to by-pass the o2 sensor and see if that cures your surging?
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Can you just turn off the autotune and run a generic map on the PCV to by-pass the o2 sensor and see if that cures your surging?
I could, if I had a generic MAP!
Who sold you the sensor?  Did it come with the exhaust system?  If so, I would go through them to get the correct one.
Came with the kit I got from Jaime at Fuel moto.

Brian, will there be a part number on the sensor?  Friday is looming and I'd hate to use the KLR at the track :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
I could, if I had a generic MAP!Came with the kit I got from Jaime at Fuel moto.

Doesn't he know where he gets it and the specs?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »
Doesn't he know where he gets it and the specs?
I was say yes, I am waiting on a phone call from him, he was on another line helping some other lost sole!  The auto tune is a kit from dyno jet, I'm still looking for a number so I can find one local.  What I may end up doing is as suggested, disabling the auto tune and running a map from fuel moto, which I'm sure Jaime will send ASAP.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 01:03:45 PM »
That looks like a Bosch LSU4.2 5-wire--we have a winner!!!!

I just need to find one local, like soon.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Yes, there is a number printed down the side of the sensor, at least there is on a 5-wire Bosch sensor. Grab the number from your sensor (you might have to rotate it to see the number) and punch it into Google and that should tell you exactly which sensor you have.

As someone already said, the fastest thing to do might be to just grab a map and turn off the tuning function of the PC V.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Brian

I could, if I had a generic MAP!Came with the kit I got from Jaime at Fuel moto.

Brian, will there be a part number on the sensor?  Friday is looming and I'd hate to use the KLR at the track :yikes:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
That sensor is used in a lot of German cars such as Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes Benz. I believe it will be available in local parts stores. It is worth about $70 best price online so you can use that as a price point in case the local store wants $229 for them.

I will try to look up a valid car that comes with that specific sensor.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
There are a lot of them so you will need to use the exact part number on the side of the sensor you have. Just type it into google and it should kick back enough info. to find one through a local parts store.

I checked on a couple of sensors for VW and Audi (random engine choices on my part) and they do not stock them at Auto Zone. They have a 2- day delivery deal though, not sure if that is fast enough for you.

You also may be able to find a sensor for an Innovative Motorsports setup or a MegaSquirt F.I. controller locally too- they use the same sensor.

Brian

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
Just got off the phone with NAPA-they be stumped, but they said they do have a large selection on hand, I'll pull the sensor and take it to them so they can referance the part number.  Thanks much to all,

Chet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T

Part number 17014 Autozone 

Sensor located before the cat

OE type

5wire, wideband

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Mary Jane Tinklepants, Mary Joe Tinklepants is a much tougher, cross dressing FJR rider I think.

Brian

<snip>

Maybe my engine is getting READY TO GRENADE? ;) (MaryJoe Tinklepants for BDF!)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Using that web page and following around the 'net a bit, it seems that the correct part number is: Bosch 16065 or Bosch 16066, which appear to be identical other than the price. I have no idea why they are identical but different prices, perhaps the more expensive ones are fresher and the other ones have past their expiration date. At any rate, either of those two part numbers, or their equivalents, should fit the DynoJet system.

Brian

If all else fails.....
http://www.dynojet.com/replacement_parts.aspx#O2

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
Looking at:http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Wideband-A-F-Oxygen-Sensor-Bosch_15470373-P_291_R%7CGRPEMISAMS____
16065/16066 plug ends are wrong. I wonder if Dynojet specs the cable on their sensors?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »
I just went to the page you listed, pulled up the O2 sensor number (48292000), then plugged that into Google and found this reference page: http://www.oxygensensor.net/widebandsensors.php

That page does have another type also listed for Dynojet usage a little further down the page: Dynojet part number: Dynojet Wideband Commander # 48292001 , which apparently crosses with the Bosch number: 17018, and Bosch number: 17025. These appear to have different cable lengths and do have different prices. Is that the right connector on the end?

Unfortunately I do not have a Dynojet O2 sensor so I cannot compare. I do have an Innovate O2 sensor but clearly that is not the same connector as <any> of the Dynojet systems use.

Chet, how are you doing with this problem, any better than I am?  :(

Brian

Looking at:http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Wideband-A-F-Oxygen-Sensor-Bosch_15470373-P_291_R%7CGRPEMISAMS____
16065/16066 plug ends are wrong. I wonder if Dynojet specs the cable on their sensors?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
BINGO
Good find Brian. Got it book marked.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
How do we get that in the appropiate sticky?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
So, heres the update, NAPA didnt have the 02 sensor, I took the one off the bike and the part number is 17205.  Hold onto something, with discount it is 124.07-before taxes.  Jaime sent me an email with his map for the flieless full system, he also recomended that I check all connections as his experience has been they work loose.  Everything was tight and clean.  I put in the old sensor after I cleaned it as best I could and started her up.  I was getting an intermitant reading from the AFR readout, but it stayed mostly (technical term) on 9.99.  I uploaded the map from Fuel moto, disabled the Auto tune, rubbed my fob, and BAM!!!!  Instant success.  I am giving full credit the awesome powers of KiPASS, and of course my bestest friend, MaryJoe Tinkerpants ;)
I will install the new sensor tomorow eve and will send a followup as I get it.  Well, back to the bike, she's 'bout half nekid and ready to be ridden 8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
How do we get that in the appropiate sticky?

I'll think about it and we'll have something tomorrow linking this thread.