Author Topic: Hating the Stock Exhaust  (Read 21368 times)

Offline Surf Concours

Hating the Stock Exhaust
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
Hating my 2012 Concours 14 stock exhaust due to looks & weight. Does anyone know which aftermarket (Two Brothers, Vance & Hines, Delkevic or Akrapovic) may have a deep, less thrill high pitch sound and not obnoxiously loud? Thank you very much, Kevin

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Hating the Stock Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
Hating my 2012 Concours 14 stock exhaust due to looks & weight. Does anyone know which aftermarket (Two Brothers, Vance & Hines, Delkevic or Akrapovic) may have a deep, less thrill high pitch sound and not obnoxiously loud? Thank you very much, Kevin

Welcome!

Can we assume you are hating the muffler and not the exhaust?   If so (which is likely) there are dozens and dozens of threads about this topic already including this recent one with the same question:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21191.0 (which was posted to, and still remains in, the wrong forum).

Searching with http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search3  will yield a plethora (I love that word) of reading materials for your enjoyment!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Blown32

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
Very happy with my Area P full exhaust!
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
Very happy with my Area P full exhaust!

If looks and sound are your primary concerns you should be happy with the Area P slip-on.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
I just put on a 18" CF oval Delkevic slip on and like it allot.

Now, not only do I have a bike with a powerful engine, I have a bike that has a powerful sounding engine.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
im running a two brothers black with the DB reducer, I do like the black carbon fiber look, but cant say it was a performance enhancer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
im running a two brothers black with the DB reducer, I do like the black carbon fiber look, but cant say it was a performance enhancer.

That's because replacing the muffler doesn't enhance performance [in any meaningful way]  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »

I've got a Beowulf. Nice deep sound

https://www.facebook.com/beowulfperformance/

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
That's because replacing the muffler doesn't enhance performance [in any meaningful way]  :)

I never expected it too on this bike, but the ecu flash certainly did.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »
I never expected it too on this bike,

Not just this bike, but most any modern bike, or car.  This isn't 20 or 30 years ago.

but the ecu flash certainly did.

Indeed it does.

Offline Buffchief85

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
Delkavic 17" tri oval, sounds great! Not too loud, and 100% better looking/sounding than stock!
2009 C14 Candy red.  Tall shield, laminar lip. Led amber city lights, Delkavic 17" slip on, flies gone! PCV -Fuelmoto map, Grabon grips. Shinko tires, Techspec tank grips.
2014 Victory Cross Country
1998 Honda VTR1000
US Air Force Crew Chief 1984 - 2016

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
Yes test show 3 HP range.

If you believe that test (I am very skeptical, in general).  But most importantly, that test is for the ZX-14, which has a larger exhaust AND intake system... so the results are not applicable to the Concours at all.  And even if it were, 3hp is so small, it might even fall in the two standard deviations range of measurement error or variation.  Thus, even super-optimistically, it fails what I would say is "meaningful" (hence my disclaimer).  And some replacement mufflers might even lower performance.

People need to not delude themselves.  Noise is not power.  And on the Concours, replacing the muffler does not improve performance in any meaningful way.  A tiny amount of weight savings (when compared to total bike weight), yes.  A possible appearance improvement, yes- depending on what one likes.  As part of a full exhaust system replacement- essential (because that is when you can start making real gains).

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
Your skeptical of anything that disproves your theory,
 The bigger header pipes started in 2012,  this test was Jan 2011 , I just measured my header (ZX 14 2008) and the od is 1.5 "
If you think 3hp is meaningless you have never raced anything but your finger tips
No after market muffler could be more restrictive than stock , hence higher performance .
I've been drag racing outboard drag boats for 20 years , one of their classes  is called Lake Racer , they have many motors that one could use , they keep everyone equal by weight
After the race the top 4 boats  get weighed with the driver in the boat, believe me  10 pounds  is a big deal even at a total weight of 1,540 lb.
I have been DQed  because I was 1 pound under.

I use the two brothers cans because they make three different restrictors , I like quite so I use the most restrictive , but there is two of them so less backpressure .   
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 10:00:46 PM »
The bigger header pipes started in 2012,  this test was Jan 2011 , I just measured my header (ZX 14 2008) and the od is 1.5 "

So you are saying that the stock 2008 ZX 14 header and all the exhaust piping are the same flow as the stock C14?  If my memory serves correctly, the ZX 14 (all years) is dual exhaust...  so the math gets very complicated if one wants to compare total volumetric flow through the whole system.

If you think 3hp is meaningless you have never raced anything but your finger tips

Alone, it is pretty meaningless to me, yes.  As part of a collection other mods, it might mean something.  Otherwise, it is something like 2%.  To me that is pretty meaningless (and it is true that I am not a racer, but if I were, I doubt I would notice 2%).

No after market muffler could be more restrictive than stock , hence higher performance .

That is making the assumption that it matters if the aftermarket is less restrictive.  Because that forces one to assume the muffler is more restrictive than the rest of the system.  If you have a 6 feet of 1" diameter water hose and cut off the last foot and replace it with 2" hose, the rate of water going through the system is the same.  Conversely, I do not believe Kawasaki would replace that last 1 foot with [the restriction equivalent of a] 3/4" hose... makes no sense.  The stock muffler is closely matched to the rest of the stock exhaust system.

After the race the top 4 boats  get weighed with the driver in the boat, believe me  10 pounds  is a big deal even at a total weight of 1,540 lb. I have been DQed  because I was 1 pound under.

:)  I gain and lose 10 pounds here and there on my body (unfortunately).  Again, if one were trying to turn the C14 into a race bike and went through and ripped off all the accessories and replaced other stuff with things each weighing a bit less (likely spending several thousand $ in the process)... sure, it will add up to something significant (and also likely losing the "touring" part of "sports touring").  But just a 10 pound savings on the muffler without lots of other weight reductions?    That is 1%, wet with rider.   Yawn.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:18 AM »
Good discussion going on here...

My two cents..

I don't run the stock muffler anymore.  I thought it was ugly and I changed it to a carbon fiber Area P.  I couldn't tell the difference in the power curve and as I wear earplugs, I can barely hear the louder tone.  I didn't install it for any perceived power gain.  I just wanted to look marvelous.. :banana ::)

A 3HP gain on our bike is nearly meaningless, as far as I'm concerned,  considering the amount we have already.  On a bike used for competition, however, it could mean the difference between winning and losing.

To each his own.  It's wonderful that we have a platform that can be modified as much as it can be.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
Yesterdays Dyno results:

Stock Exhaust = 134.6 HP / Torque 89.3

18" Delkevic CF Oval (with baffle) = 133.5 / Torque 89.5

18" Delkevic CF Oval (no baffle) = 138.1 / Torque 91.0

Going from the stock exhaust made my bike look better, made it 20 lbs lighter and gave me an
additional 3.5 HP and 1.7 lbs of torque.

I call that a, win .. win .. win!!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
2 questions, any other mods? and how loud without the baffle at highway speeds? Earplug loud, Harley loud or ? Thanks
Wayne

Yesterdays Dyno results:

Stock Exhaust = 134.6 HP / Torque 89.3

18" Delkevic CF Oval (with baffle) = 133.5 / Torque 89.5

18" Delkevic CF Oval (no baffle) = 138.1 / Torque 91.0

Going from the stock exhaust made my bike look better, made it 20 lbs lighter and gave me an
additional 3.5 HP and 1.7 lbs of torque.

I call that a, win .. win .. win!!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
2 questions, any other mods? and how loud without the baffle at highway speeds? Earplug loud, Harley loud or ? Thanks
Wayne

SISF's ECU flash is only other performance mod.

I leave for work at 5:15 am and have asked my wife if the bike wakes her up leaving the driveway, and she tells me she has never heard me leave.  The sound is much deeper sounding than stock but not really loud till you want it to be.

It sounds great when you get on it but cruising down the highway at 70 to 80 mph I don't think it bothers anyone driving near me.  My guess is that they can now hear me but not in an annoying way, nothing like a V-twin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
Yesterdays Dyno results:

Interesting that the baffle made it almost 1hp worse than stock.  Of course (and again), there is going to be variance in the readings with each run (margin of error).  The nice part is you did it using all the same equipment and very close to the same time- which helps to eliminate weather and equipment variance.  Although the resulting number will vary from one dyno to another, you are comparing before/after, which doesn't introduce that error.

Thanks for sharing!