Author Topic: Best Windscreen for the Connie  (Read 21103 times)

Offline tomp

Re: Best Windscreen for the Connie
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
Cool...I thought about it because they say not to "over tighten" but give no torque specs so when is it "too tight"?

Probably 1/2 to 1 turn less that than it was tightened.  At least in my case, it normally is.   ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Probably 1/2 to 1 turn less that than it was tightened.  At least in my case, it normally is.   ;D

TOMP, if you can, post a pic of your windscreen...I want to see what you did. I still have my VStream and if I ever have to go back to it I want to see what can be done to make it quieter.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline tomp

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
TOMP, if you can, post a pic of your windscreen...I want to see what you did. I still have my VStream and if I ever have to go back to it I want to see what can be done to make it quieter.
Unsure which Laminar Lip # this is, as I have purchased many.  You can call them and if the V-Stream isn't listed in their files, you can take measurements and give them to them and they can match what they have  that will work.  They have done it for me before. Mine works well, but a wider one may work better.

Offline lddave

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »
Did you use "Loctite" on the screws when you installed the windscreen...just asking?
No I did not . I emailed Page at aerflow with pictures never got a reply . I put the stock shield with a laminar lip and am happy with it . The aeroflow was great but it decreased my mpg a few and at its tallest height in flexed alot in headwinds and at speed .
Dave
IBA 178

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
No I did not . I emailed Page at aerflow with pictures never got a reply . I put the stock shield with a laminar lip and am happy with it . The aeroflow was great but it decreased my mpg a few and at its tallest height in flexed alot in headwinds and at speed .

Mine flexes a lot as well but I did ask them about that and they said it's normal and that the windscreen can withstand all the flexing.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline tomp

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
My V-Stream and Lip combo flexes in cross winds.  I'm not as concerned about the screen coming apart as I am the flexing causing damage to the supports, especially the attaching bars on the top of the screen.  One is cracked at the top screw hole, but was that way when I bought the bike, with a stock screen on it.  Unsure how it cracked, but I do keep an eye on it, and so far hasn't gotten worse. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
My V-Stream and Lip combo flexes in cross winds.  I'm not as concerned about the screen coming apart as I am the flexing causing damage to the supports, especially the attaching bars on the top of the screen.  One is cracked at the top screw hole, but was that way when I bought the bike, with a stock screen on it.  Unsure how it cracked, but I do keep an eye on it, and so far hasn't gotten worse.

That is something that was mentioned by Aeroflow...the mechanical supports on the bike that hold/raise/lower the windscreen could fail because of the stress put on them while riding. Aeroflow told me to lower the windscreen to its lowest position if riding at speeds of 100mph or more.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline ruffride

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »
Do be careful if your screen has cracks at the mount holes. Even if drilled at the end of the crack, this is a weak spot. I had an Aroflow windshield on a BMW k1200rs wad on me at 130mph. It did not upset the apple cart but it was a bit exciting. 
Enjoy the ride

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
I've ended up going back to the V-Stream. The Aeroflow is quieter than the V-Stream but the V-Stream is much more "aerodynamic". I get better fuel economy with the V-Stream and confirmed that by testing the 2 over a period of time riding the same route, same conditions (I'm in SO Cal so conditions are usually warm and sunny and they don't change), with the same amount of fuel in the tank each time. I'd ride with one windshield for a couple of tanks of fuel and run until I was just about empty then I would switch the windscreens and do it again. I could get to 200 miles on a tank with the Aeroflow but not much over that (maybe 210). I was able to stretch out 235 miles with the V-Stream and could have gone to 245 but it would have been close.

The Aeroflow flexes A LOT MORE than the V-Stream and I can feel the bike "surging" (as if something were pushing against the bike and slowing it down then releasing the bike so it can go) through the wind with the Aeroflow but the V-Stream feels as if it cuts through the wind much better and the V-Stream is affected much less by gusts of wind (which translates into a more stable ride).

They're both good windscreens and though I don't like how much louder the V-Stream is over the Aeroflow I prefer the V-Stream because of all the other advantages over the Aeroflow...plus, the V-Stream looks a lot better on the bike!

I know helmets can make a difference as far as noise is concerned. I ride with a Shark Evoline 2 modular helmet and wonder if a Shoei or Schuberth helmet would make a difference in reducing the wind noise while riding highway speeds. Anyway, I've got the V-Stream on the bike and it will stay there until something better comes along and the Aeroflow will stay in the garage and be there in case something happens to the V-Stream.

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 12:19:07 PM »
I've ended up going back to the V-Stream. The Aeroflow is quieter than the V-Stream but the V-Stream is much more "aerodynamic". I get better fuel economy with the V-Stream and confirmed that by testing the 2 over a period of time riding the same route, same conditions (I'm in SO Cal so conditions are usually warm and sunny and they don't change), with the same amount of fuel in the tank each time. I'd ride with one windshield for a couple of tanks of fuel and run until I was just about empty then I would switch the windscreens and do it again. I could get to 200 miles on a tank with the Aeroflow but not much over that (maybe 210). I was able to stretch out 235 miles with the V-Stream and could have gone to 245 but it would have been close.

:goodpost:

Thanks. Good info with actual testing. Nice!

I have been undecided between those same 2 windshields, I'm going to try the V-Stream.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
For info, I'm 6'2 with a long torso so I sit tall on the bike. Someone that sits lower will enjoy the benefits of less noise and the better fuel economy of the V-Stream!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Since I'm 5-10 with long legs, this is getting better all the time.      :banana
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »
Haha...the V-Stream should fit you perfectly! It's a really well made windscreen...you should be really happy with it!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline tomp

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
I always ride with ear plugs, as my hearing is totally shot (pun intended).  I've found the relationship between screen height, and visor opening on my modular FF helmets make the biggest difference in wind noise.  Less noise with helmet visor open, than partially/completely closed. 

Isn't the C14 designed to travel faster than the sound of the wind, or is that the ZX14R, and it's double bubble?????

Offline fredthefence

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »
I'm looking to buy a windshield and would like to hear comments from people who have different makes. I'm 6'-0" and am leaning towards the V-Screen. Any comments would be useful?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm 6' even also and love my C Baileys Ultra Tour Domed.

And BTW: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Offline Jim H

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
did the "try the shields for free" and definitely liked the Cee Bailey Ultra domed Tour as well. I am 5'11" and it works very well.  Cuts down the roar of the stock shield. 

Forgot to say that I liked it so I bought one from CB.

Jim

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam. I sit tall on the bike so here's my "take" on windscreens so far;

1. Stock Windscreen - Hated it...might as well ride without it!

2. VStream - Loved it! Loved the look, it's solid, least amount of drag from a windscreen, but as my seating position changed to a more "upright" position the windscreen became too noisy for my liking.

3. Aeroflow - I like the coverage and the quietness of the Aeroflow BUT it moves ALL OVER the place (I can best describe it as "flopping around" on the mounts) while riding and I don't like that at all! Plus, too much backpressure when the windscreen was raised all the way into the "up" position.

4. CalSci - Bought the CalSci XL Standard and rode with it. It was "okay" but it was too narrow and didn't look right to me and was a little on the noisy side. I switched it out for the CalSci XL Wide and that's what I am currently riding with. It is very close to the Aeroflow in how it protects, handles wind noise very well and it's solid like the VStream (doesn't flop around while riding like the Aeroflow did). Also, the CalSci windscreens have "vents" cut into them eliminating backpressure...nice feature!

So, for me it's the CalSci XL Wide. It's a nice windscreen and the customer service for the windscreen is great!

That's my "2 cents worth"!
Mike
Ojai, CA