Author Topic: Best Windscreen for the Connie  (Read 21104 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Best Windscreen for the Connie
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
Give us a report with your impressions once you've put a few miles on that screen.

I will :thumbs:
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
Good choice Mike.. I'm sure you'll feel a real difference behind it. Let us know..

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
I have both OEM shields , Calsci XL Wide & National Cycle Vstream and my favorite is the Vstream.  Calsci makes a weird airflow combo with my Shoei RF1200 helmet at 6'1. I have to run it max height to reduce the turbulence noise. Could be more of the helmet though sense webbikeworld did state the RF1200 helmet was noisy with windshields, maybe I should of bought the GT-air.  Calsci is great for winter time though, covers my hands really well. Thinking I might sell it if my SSD performance hand guards work well with my Vstream. I also like what I saw in the demo video showing the strength of the National Cycle windshields. And looks wise my preference still is the Vstream over Calsci, being in my mid 30's the Calsci gives it almost a grandpa(no offense to the "wiser" members  ;D ) look. But sense I care more about function this was never an issue when I ran the Calsci all winter and really enjoyed it. Like the OP I don't have a perfect wind reduction with it but it works the best out of the 4. I think an ultra tall would be my only option for silent air pocket riding.

VStream gets my vote followed by the OEM small for summer. Crazy how much quieter it is with free air flow of the lowered OEM on my helmet.. and cooler.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I've made my decision and went with the Aeroflow Tall...placed the order to day!

Good choice....that's what I've got. Best screen I've had out of stock 1st gen, stock 2nd gen, Cee Bailey ultra tour, v-stream, Cal-sci large. I thought the Cal-sci was great, but it had to be fully up to get the quiet pocket. This AeroFlow large lets tons of air through and I don't have to raise it very far to be in the bubble.

I will say though that the Aeroflow is cracking at the upper right mounting hole. Not sure why it's cracking there, since most mounting pressure is on the center screw.  I plan on drilling a small hole at the end of the crack so it does not continue.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Dubsak

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
Excellent choice!  I have the tall Aeroflow, and it is absolutely spectacular.  People complain about the looks, but it works so good...who cares!!  I don't think it looks bad and the flow characteristics make up for any aesthetic issues. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
Excellent choice!  I have the tall Aeroflow, and it is absolutely spectacular.  People complain about the looks, but it works so good...who cares!!  I don't think it looks bad and the flow characteristics make up for any aesthetic issues.

Good to know...thanks!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
Installed the new "Large" Aeroflow windscreen last night and rode to work today...AMAZING :banana

I was amazed at how quiet highway speeds have become...80mph doesn't sound like 80 anymore! I can ride with my visor up :finger_fing11:!

I was skeptical about the windscreen when purchasing it, about its looks and functionality, but I'm a believer now! It looks fine...not ugly at all IMO. The looks are one thing but the windscreen's functionality is amazing! Great wind protection and REALLY QUIET! The VStream doesn't come close to what the Aeroflow does. Now, I haven't tried a Cee Baileys and hear they are really goo too but I'm sold...it will be Aeroflow from now on!

Thank you everyone for chiming in and giving your opinion...I appreciate the support!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline robinmdanner

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
  :chugbeer:... Next time you're out riding with your screen in it's best position and the circumstance is right, place your hand forward toward the middle of the screen. You will feel a strong laminar "pipe" of vertical airflow being held in the recess of the screen from bottom to top. This is the key and success to the design of the shield. The enlarged opening at the bottom feels "counter-intuitive" when you first look at it and try to think about how it works....but dang....it DOES work well..

Offline Dubsak

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
Glad you like it!  Before the Aeroflow, I had the biggest Calsci....the only way it was usable for me, was all the way up.  Everything else was extremely noisy and turbulent.  The Aeroflow was like night and day...I can ride comfortably with it in any position. 

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
  :chugbeer:... Next time you're out riding with your screen in it's best position and the circumstance is right, place your hand forward toward the middle of the screen. You will feel a strong laminar "pipe" of vertical airflow being held in the recess of the screen from bottom to top. This is the key and success to the design of the shield. The enlarged opening at the bottom feels "counter-intuitive" when you first look at it and try to think about how it works....but dang....it DOES work well..

Did that this morning on my way to work. It's pretty awesome how it works... and it works well. Thanks again  :chugbeer:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline tomp

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Guess I did differently than others.  Got a national Cycles VStream and added a laminar Lip, I had laying around.  Now I can go from total wind, to total protection, by pressing the windshield button up or down.  I am very happy with this set up... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline lddave

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »

I will say though that the Aeroflow is cracking at the upper right mounting hole. Not sure why it's cracking there, since most mounting pressure is on the center screw.  I plan on drilling a small hole at the end of the crack so it does not continue.

I have the large aeoflow and mine developed cracks on the top left mounting hole .
Dave
IBA 178

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
I have the large aeoflow and mine developed cracks on the top left mounting hole .

Did you use "Loctite" on the screws when you installed the windscreen...just asking?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 09:14:20 AM »
I was warned if I tightened mine past "snug" it would eventually crack up.  I was told to trust the loctite, and 90,000 miles no issues yet
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
I was warned if I tightened mine past "snug" it would eventually crack up.  I was told to trust the loctite, and 90,000 miles no issues yet

When I installed mine the instructions said "DO NOT USE LOCTITE". The Loctite supposedly makes the plastic brittle and it will crack. This is according to Aeroflow.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline tomp

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
Sounds like I did OK not using any adhesive when I installed my V-Stream.  It's still secure, even witha Laminar Lip at the top, too. . .
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
When I installed mine the instructions said "DO NOT USE LOCTITE". The Loctite supposedly makes the plastic brittle and it will crack. This is according to Aeroflow.

I used the loctite on the end of the bolts so I wouldn't have to over tighten them, not on the plastic. if you noticed when removing, Kawasaki had those mounting bolts full of crap too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
I used the loctite on the end of the bolts so I wouldn't have to over tighten them, not on the plastic. if you noticed when removing, Kawasaki had those mounting bolts full of crap too.

Loctite "out-gasses" and that can have an adverse affect on certain plastics...Aeroflows windscreen being one of those plastics.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
right on, again I used it where kawasaki had it between the thread and the bolt, not touching any plastic :)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
right on, again I used it where kawasaki had it between the thread and the bolt, not touching any plastic :)

Cool...I thought about it because they say not to "over tighten" but give no torque specs so when is it "too tight"?
Mike
Ojai, CA