Author Topic: location of Givi MonoKEY top case with PHILS FARKELS rack  (Read 35210 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: location of Givi MonoKEY top case with PHILS FARKELS rack
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Ok, I'm a bit confused. (yes, I know I'm easily confused)
Phil sez the Givi/Kawasaki 47 Monolock doesn't fit his rack/holes/mounting hardware, and you said it snapped right on the rack.

If I order a Kawsaki 47 Monolock and Phils Rack,,, what mounting hardware do I need to order?, and from whom

Ride safe, Ted

The Kawi 47 (Monolock) comes with a mounting plate that mounts to Phils rack quite nice, that's what I did and like the adjustability front/back that the combo provides to clear my wife's Corbin backrest or my Corbin smuggler trunk. :)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
Ok, thank you!
Guess it's time to spend money... (Don't tell my wife!!!)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
Jay, is that the oem box? It looks bigger than the one collecting dust on my shelf. May be just perspective.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
Jay, is that the oem box? It looks bigger than the one collecting dust on my shelf. May be just perspective.

Yep, the Kawi 47 liter GP.  :chugbeer:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Jay, are you using the rails or a rack Phil made to allow the Corbin gear to fit at the same time?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
Jay, are you using the rails or a rack Phil made to allow the Corbin gear to fit at the same time?

Nope, I don't think Phil was making the adjustment rails yet back when I got my rack, he made me a custom one-off rack to accommodate my Corbin smuggler trunk.

Phil is da'man, and has mad skills!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »
Phil is "the Man"! I'm using the rails, his rack, and the E55 to accommodate the smuggler and Corbin backrest. Top notch quality and a pleasure to work with.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
Ok, ya'll are costing me money (again).
I told my wife it was ZG's fault!

47 Liter Kawasaki Bag ordered.
Will get a Phil's rack after it arrives...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »

Offline nlastovi

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:07:05 AM »
fyi... the one that I installed on mine on the Phil's rack is the givi V47 MonoKey (not the MonoLock one that you can get from Kawasaki).  This is the one I got:

http://www.givi.it/cases/Monokey/V47

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 07:38:40 AM »
My trunk arrived and I installed it on the stock rack.
Don't like the mount as it's too shaky.
Guess, Phils Rack will happen sooner than I thought....

But, it sure looks good on the bike with matching color!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TonyR

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
I put a Givi 55 on my C-14 and found it pushed my wife forward quite a bit. Ended up making a custom mounting plate to move the box back 2 inches as well as provide an additional pair of mounting points for strength.

Brian,
I think I need a rack like that, without kirby off course...

Can you make another one?

Thanks
Tony

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Brian,

Thanks
Tony
Can you make two?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
Well, I am just going to pretend you did not say anything bad about Kirby.... It was his idea in the first place (I know the voices in my head are not real but man, do they have some cool ideas). ;D

Sorry gents but that plate cost me a small fortune; it was custom milled. I did the design and provided both the CAD and CAM files but machine time alone was exorbitant. I do not have the CAM file but <may> still have a copy of the original model, I will take a look and let you know I can find it. It also requires another pair of holes be drilled into the lifting rails on the bike- that rack is bolted on with six bolts rather than the original four. It makes a nice mount (Easy Boys!) but it is neither practical nor affordable unfortunately.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks
Tony

Can you make two?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
Brian,
How important are the two extra mounting holes? And what are the lifting rails made of? Are they solid or extruded. I am currently using a mounting plate I made out of 5/16" aluminum plate but it was sized for a Maxia 50. I can easily make a longer one to accommodate the 55 but adding two additional attachment bolts would be a challenge.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »
The lifting rails on a C-14 are plastic- my guess is a thermoset plastic such as epoxy. Very strong stuff. I did a stress analysis on that plate and the forward holes are really quite substantial, especially since the factory holes are both so close together and so far toward the rear of the plate. Picking up two additional holes at the very front of the plate makes a huge difference in strength.

By the way, the bottom of that plate is not flat; it must be stepped or cut at an angle to lay flat on the forward grab rails. If left flat, it will not seat in the well provided for the luggage rack.

Brian

Brian,
How important are the two extra mounting holes? And what are the lifting rails made of? Are they solid or extruded. I am currently using a mounting plate I made out of 5/16" aluminum plate but it was sized for a Maxia 50. I can easily make a longer one to accommodate the 55 but adding two additional attachment bolts would be a challenge.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline TonyR

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
So on my 08, I have a E52 case and when traveling, I load it up and put another bag on top of it. I have an aluminum rack with a backrest attached to it.
It's not until I purchased my new 2013 that I hear the grab rails are made out of plastic and need to be careful not to overload them. On my quest for a new rack to use with my new V56 case and the backrest, I'm now not getting confident this is the right thing to do and have my wife use the backrest while the case is also loaded. Did I risk her life all of this 38,000 miles we put on that bike?
What to do what to do???

Brian, the extra bolts you put on your rack, did you tap into the center mount of the grab rails?

Thanks
Tony

The lifting rails on a C-14 are plastic- my guess is a thermoset plastic such as epoxy. Very strong stuff. I did a stress analysis on that plate and the forward holes are really quite substantial, especially since the factory holes are both so close together and so far toward the rear of the plate. Picking up two additional holes at the very front of the plate makes a huge difference in strength.

By the way, the bottom of that plate is not flat; it must be stepped or cut at an angle to lay flat on the forward grab rails. If left flat, it will not seat in the well provided for the luggage rack.

Brian

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
I agree. Brian can you give some insight on the holes you added?

Also in previous note you said; By the way, the bottom of that plate is not flat; it must be stepped or cut at an angle to lay flat on the forward grab rails. If left flat, it will not seat in the well provided for the luggage rack.

Are you saying the flat bottomed Aluminum plates (that are comercially available) are not correct as they are flat bottomed?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TonyR

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
I noticed while mounting the plate, it didn't sit flat on the rails... bu I didn't think anything of it... Just taught the rails are a little bit out of place on my bike. Is this by design?

Tony

I agree. Brian can you give some insight on the holes you added?

Also in previous note you said; By the way, the bottom of that plate is not flat; it must be stepped or cut at an angle to lay flat on the forward grab rails. If left flat, it will not seat in the well provided for the luggage rack.

Are you saying the flat bottomed Aluminum plates (that are comercially available) are not correct as they are flat bottomed?

Ride safe, Ted