Author Topic: remaining fuel  (Read 13764 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: remaining fuel
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
I was riding this past weekend and refilled after 75 miles (top bar was gone on the "gauge") and it took 1.9 gallons.  Almost two gallons for the first first bar must be why the rest of the bars seem to disappear so much quicker

That seems to be standard practice on just about every gas level display I have ever encountered.  Stays up on F forever, then heads to E at an ever-increasing rate.  It is a conspiracy, I say.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
Not on C-14s where it is simply a by- product of KiPass. As the tank level drops and the float <should> fall, the field of Lessened Gravity (TM) won't allow the float and arm to correctly follow the fuel down. While not quite able to overcome gravity completely, KiPass does render it far less important than it normal is; of the five fundamental forces, I believe KiPass falls between the Strong force and the Electromagnetic force in relative strength although it (KiPass) does seem to have a very short relative effective range.

On most other vehicles it IS a conspiracy. On Yamahas it is a design flaw and of Edsels it just does not matter.

Brian

That seems to be standard practice on just about every gas level display I have ever encountered.  Stays up on F forever, then heads to E at an ever-increasing rate.  It is a conspiracy, I say.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
The "thingy" that is required is an aux fuel tank. I carry about 17 liters extra which gives me about a range of approx 600 kms using both the main and aux. I don't plan on going 6 hrs every trip, but if required, needed or wanted it's there. I don't worry about running low and it's all about having options.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:10:28 AM »
My rule of thumb is
Once LOW FUEL rears it's irritating head I normally use the next gas station.
If I am within 30 miles from home (we have a cheaper gas station 1 mile from home) then I will risk it.
I have yet to run out of gas on the C14 but I do ride much more sensibly for that last 30 miles.
Gentle(-ish) starts and I stay below 80Mph.

So, I would guess that you could safely run 30 miles into reserve but how much farther you will get is pure guesswork.
In theory you should get at least 40 miles from reserve but I wouldn't risk it without having spare gas on board.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
Or in an elevator

Or in bed  ;D   

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline chap

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
A few weeks ago I was caught with with no gas stations around. I went 44 km once the Low Fuel came on. When I stopped i put in 29.95 litres. That means 1 litre was still in the tank. But how much of that was usable, I don't know. Way too close for me. I usually fill 15 - 17 litres. I dont see any point in pushing it. it is easier to refuel often than push the bike.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
So what's that in real measure? 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
The fuel pump is mounted in the bottom of the tank, in a slightly low well welded into the tank proper, and the fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the fuel pump. I cannot say with certainty but I think the amount of fuel left once the pump is starved and sucking air won't be more than a couple of ounces.

And BTW the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled with the fuel that is being pumped, not the actual volume of the fuel sloshing around inside the tank. As the fuel pump pumps too much fuel and the excess is sprayed back into the tank, the simple circulation of the fuel will keep the very small volume of fuel left in the tank cool so there is really no risk to the pump of merely running low on fuel or using all the available fuel. The risk to the pump is actually running the tank dry but even then the ECU will shut down the fuel pump three seconds after the engine stops running (for any reason, not just if it runs out of fuel).

Brian

A few weeks ago I was caught with with no gas stations around. I went 44 km once the Low Fuel came on. When I stopped i put in 29.95 litres. That means 1 litre was still in the tank. But how much of that was usable, I don't know. Way too close for me. I usually fill 15 - 17 litres. I dont see any point in pushing it. it is easier to refuel often than push the bike.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kennqc

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
hmm, with stock size tires, my speedometer reads arond 3 mph faster than my gps.  giving my gps a pass on accuracy it would seem that your miles per gallon calculated by the ecu "might" be off, ie reporting a generous mileage.  if this is all true i would be cautious depending on the odometer to accurately determine how much gas you have left.  i have never really done the easy check and calculated it out after filling the tank.  note*  after replacing the rear tire with a 55, the speedometer is very close to the gps. 

ken

Offline pistole

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »

- isn't the fuel tank capacity 22 liters , in total ?

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
The fuel pump is mounted in the bottom of the tank, in a slightly low well welded into the tank proper, and the fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the fuel pump. I cannot say with certainty but I think the amount of fuel left once the pump is starved and sucking air won't be more than a couple of ounces.

And BTW the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled with the fuel that is being pumped, not the actual volume of the fuel sloshing around inside the tank. As the fuel pump pumps too much fuel and the excess is sprayed back into the tank, the simple circulation of the fuel will keep the very small volume of fuel left in the tank cool so there is really no risk to the pump of merely running low on fuel or using all the available fuel. The risk to the pump is actually running the tank dry but even then the ECU will shut down the fuel pump three seconds after the engine stops running (for any reason, not just if it runs out of fuel).

Brian

I can tell everyone with certainty that once the bike hesitates or stutters from no fuel, you only get a couple more blocks before you'll be parked.  I've tested this scenario a couple of times...   ::) :-[
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »
I can tell everyone with certainty that once the bike hesitates or stutters from no fuel, you only get a couple more blocks before you'll be parked.  I've tested this scenario a couple of times...   ::) :-[

And she's a heavy biatch to push eh Rob...  ;) :(

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »
The tank only holds 21.95 liters or 5.8 US gallons...so if Chap can squeeze in an extra 8 liters , I say way to go!

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »

And she's a heavy biatch to push eh Rob...  ;) :(

I'm sure she is, but I didn't even try.  I've got a cell phone for those types of problems,  ;)

I was only a mile from where my riding buddy lives, and I know he's always got a gas can around with a little bit in it.  Plus, it only needed a few ounces, as I was less then a mile from the station I was headed to both times.

Now there have been a few times in the middle of BFE where I was getting very nervous, but still made it to a station under it's own power.  One time I put 6.19 gallons in the darn thing. :o   Jay knows the place - 76 station in Biggs Junction, after eating lunch in Tygh Valley  8) .  One can burn a lot of fuel on that ride.  :-X  ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
The tank only holds 21.95 liters or 5.8 US gallons...so if Chap can squeeze in an extra 8 liters , I say way to go!

Dave

Correction.  The tank is rated to hold 5.8 US gallons.  In fact it will hold 6.2 (possibly a little more) US gallons.  I have never run out of fuel but have pushed it to the limit a couple times and found out for myself.  FYI: I add fuel about 3/4" past the interior gashole floorplate.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline texrider

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Correction.  The tank is rated to hold 5.8 US gallons.  In fact it will hold 6.2 (possibly a little more) US gallons.  I have never run out of fuel but have pushed it to the limit a couple times and found out for myself.  FYI: I add fuel about 3/4" past the interior gashole floorplate.

Consider using protection when going past the gashole.  :o
2014 Valkyrie

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
any one knows from a device to accurately measure the remaining fuel on the tank?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
After three pages I'd guess not.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
any one knows from a device to accurately measure the remaining fuel on the tank?

Good try, Martin.  I don't think we've heard of anything aftermarket like that.  It probably could be 'programmed' into the computer to do that as I think it has the information but Kwak would have to do that.  I'd rather see that than miles left to go.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
I love the wandering and beating and discussing and drifting into totally unexpected directions, specially if it doesn't include KI-PASS, but this time I really needed the answer to my original question. The best explanation came (surprise!) from Brian regarding how the fuel pump actually works and the small danger of running dry. Good thread, all in all. I learnt quite a few new things.

I guess I needed a distraction while my dealer does the 60 000 km (about 37 000 miles) service, puts rear tire and the infamous TÜV to keep the German authorities reassured that everything is as they dictate  :-X. I'll pick her up tomorrow... can't wait.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.