Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 887998 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2280 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
To get a little perspective , what was your average speed and any head or tail wind? Thanks

No wind of any sort to speak of...mixture of two lane at about 60 and Interstate about 75/80.  About 60/40 mix of Interstate/two lane.  Previous to the flash it would have been around 46mpg or so. I've also got a CB Ultra Tour Dome shield.  It was almost all the way down...about an inch and a half from full down.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2281 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
After almost 2 years procrastination, I finally installed Rich's oversize O-ring on the cam position sensor. While I was in there, I also torqued the exhaust header nuts (all were loose), replaced the engine coolant, fixed my Rostra CC, adjusted my manual cam chain tensioner (didn't really need it) and removed all the sludge accumulated from years of oil weeping out of the cam position sensor.

Was surprised that after 6 years and almost 70,000 miles the coolant looked relatively clean and clear.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2282 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
The flash sounds like it is definitely an improvement in mileage. The no wind is a big factor too. Great mileage.

No wind of any sort to speak of...mixture of two lane at about 60 and Interstate about 75/80.  About 60/40 mix of Interstate/two lane.  Previous to the flash it would have been around 46mpg or so. I've also got a CB Ultra Tour Dome shield.  It was almost all the way down...about an inch and a half from full down.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2283 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:55 AM »
After almost 2 years procrastination, I finally installed Rich's oversize O-ring on the cam position sensor. While I was in there, I also torqued the exhaust header nuts (all were loose), replaced the engine coolant, fixed my Rostra CC, adjusted my manual cam chain tensioner (didn't really need it) and removed all the sludge accumulated from years of oil weeping out of the cam position sensor.

Was surprised that after 6 years and almost 70,000 miles the coolant looked relatively clean and clear.

After 6 years you finally did your first coolant change?

You with the coolant and Max with the brake/clutch fluid.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2284 on: June 28, 2016, 05:38:19 AM »
After 6 years you finally did your first coolant change?

You with the coolant and Max with the brake/clutch fluid.    ;)

I haven't touched my coolant either.... 5 years now.  I did check the level, however.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #2285 on: June 28, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »
I bought my '11 back today.  All my settings were still the same, and only 35 more miles on the odo.  Felt like I rode it just yesterday, not a few months ago.  Was a good day for me, as I'm again riding what I most enjoyed.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2286 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:05 AM »
I haven't touched my coolant either.... 5 years now.  I did check the level, however.

You know, changing the coolant isn't that big a deal right? What are you waiting for? The interval is two years for the coolant and the hydraulic fluids. Get on it man!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2287 on: June 29, 2016, 06:34:38 AM »
Judging by how it looked after 6 years, I probably won't do mine again for another 6 years. The book also says change your spark plugs every 7500 miles, not doing that either.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2288 on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »
Judging by how it looked after 6 years, I probably won't do mine again for another 6 years. The book also says change your spark plugs every 7500 miles, not doing that either.
Me either. I've got 40,000 miles on my original plugs, and don't plan on changing them anytime soon.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2289 on: June 29, 2016, 07:35:08 AM »
Changed my stocker plugs out at 30k when I did the valves, why not I was already in there, and they looked fine. Threw them(the old ones) in a drawer so id have back ups.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2290 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
Yeah, of all the change/replace/adjust intervals, the one for the spark plugs is beyond totally ridiculously crazy.  Quality plugs in modern vehicles are now usually rated for 100,000 miles or something like that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2291 on: June 29, 2016, 08:01:55 PM »
My concern would be the plugs seizing in the threads. When mine come out anti sieze is going on em.

Yeah, of all the change/replace/adjust intervals, the one for the spark plugs is beyond totally ridiculously crazy.  Quality plugs in modern vehicles are now usually rated for 100,000 miles or something like that.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tomp

« Reply #2292 on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
My concern would be the plugs seizing in the threads. When mine come out anti sieze is going on em.
Believe I read somewhere not to use anti seize on alloy heads.  Can't remember where, though.  Anyone here chime in of the WHY NOT reasoning?  Something to do with causing the steel based plugs to seize in the threads, I think. 

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2293 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:46 AM »
After work, a quick 20-minute changeout of gear oil. I will check it again in a day or so -- not sure it really took 5.4 oz.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2294 on: June 30, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »
Tomp, from what I've been reading, it depends on the plug.  Some plug threads are now nickel plated to eliminate the steel-aluminum seizing issues.  Two problems from using anti-seize is getting it on the business end of the plug and over-tightening.  Not sure if this applies to our plugs but the box they come in should state not to use anti-seize if the threads are plated.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2295 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:54 AM »

The plug change interval for us is VERY questionable. The coolant may have looked fine after 6 years but I'll bet the chemistry of the stuff wasn't so fine. 

Offline tomp

« Reply #2296 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:20 PM »
Tomp, from what I've been reading, it depends on the plug.  Some plug threads are now nickel plated to eliminate the steel-aluminum seizing issues.  Two problems from using anti-seize is getting it on the business end of the plug and over-tightening.  Not sure if this applies to our plugs but the box they come in should state not to use anti-seize if the threads are plated.
Thanks.  I do now remember the statement that anti seize can allow the plug to be more easily overtightened, and potentially stripping the threads in the head. 

Rode mine after work for a while today, but it was just too hot and crowded to be enjoyable.  Yesterday, I reinstalled all the accessories that I had removed before selling it.  Immediately felt like old home week, with the first post install ride.  ;D tp

Offline O.C.

« Reply #2297 on: July 02, 2016, 04:02:53 AM »
I just fitted a pair of these PR4s :) 

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline overthehill

« Reply #2298 on: July 02, 2016, 05:31:03 AM »
had the local Kaw dealer dyno my bike.  Bought is 2008 with 2200 miles.  The PO put a Power Commander 3 and a Two Brothers pipe before he sold it.  Started with 128 ponies and 88 f/lbs torque.  The tune brought it up to 138 ponies and 92 ft/lbs torque.  WOOHOO 
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline tomp

« Reply #2299 on: July 02, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
Worked today, no time to ride.  Wanted to share this with you.  A Harley rider and good member of another forum of which I am a member, was murdered for his motorcycle, while on a solo ride to meet up with other riders this week.  Doesn't matter what we ride, we are all brothers and sisters, joined by our love for two wheels. 

It's a dangerous world out there today.  protect yourself and what is yours, but please, your bike isn't worth your life. 

Take care this holiday weekend, and say a prayer for Larry's family.   tomp 

FWIW, MIssouri has the death penalty, and this situation deserves serious consideration of such punishment, for this horrible act.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/32328815/body-of-missing-ks-man-found-in-cotton-field-2-suspects-in-custody