Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 887799 times)

Offline tomp

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1740 on: December 13, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
Around here, if you don't use the highways, you will never get anywhere.  A guy I know did an Iron Butt on a KLR650 recently, and never left south/Central Texas, coming out of Sugar Land.  I like 2 lanes better than 4/6 lanes, but ya gotta take what ya gotta take, to get there, where ever there is...
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1741 on: December 13, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »
I avoid interstates like the plague but if a metropolis is between you and your destination they are your only acceptable option. Just set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1742 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
Okay, see y'alls point, I owe some clarification. 18,000 of the 27,000 was the Concours, 4 rears and 3 fronts. But I've only just ordered the 3rd front, expecting to need it before the year is out. So really just 6 tires have carried the C14 18000 miles. But since they were on two wheels it was actually 36000. A couple of tires were changed maybe 1000 miles early due to long trips coming up and not wanting to worry about running out of rubber on the road. So the average is more like 6000 per tire. Not great but better than some who post here.

4 rear tire in 18k miles??? Thats only 4500 miles per tire. Oh my! There's gotta be something wrong here. Are you leaving rubber at every intersection? 

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #1743 on: December 13, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »
Iwanted to pm you this but dont know how. If you are a firearms guy you might be interested in this.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1744 on: December 13, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
4 rear tire in 18k miles??? Thats only 4500 miles per tire. Oh my! There's gotta be something wrong here. Are you leaving rubber at every intersection?
No not  every intersection ;)
Seri
ously not quite that bad.
True I bought 4 rear tires for the c14 this year
That's a lot but #4 went on last week. Hopefully
I'll get another 6k out of it, that's 6000 per tire.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1745 on: December 13, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
6000 is TERRIBLE mileage. I have 9500 miles on my PR4 now and can easily get another 1k out of it.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1746 on: December 13, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
No not  every intersection ;)
Seri
ously not quite that bad.
True I bought 4 rear tires for the c14 this year
That's a lot but #4 went on last week. Hopefully
I'll get another 6k out of it, that's 6000 per tire.

Ya see how deep the explanation cr*p gets when you think you understand what you are saying, but others don't?  I have been guilty of that on forums for years, now.  6K of spirited riding, even on a multi compound tire, is understandable.  Hope the new ones last you 10K, so you will be ahead of the game for 2016...

Nicole, you are simply blessed with tire longevity.  Consider yourself a lucky owner/rider.   tomp   dd50

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1747 on: December 13, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
6000 is TERRIBLE mileage. I have 9500 miles on my PR4 now and can easily get another 1k out of it.
That's cuz you ride like a girl :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline tomp

« Reply #1748 on: December 13, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
oooooooooh, get GET READY TO GET YOUR MALE BUTT KICKED... All your fault too. tp ;D ;D ;D

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #1749 on: December 13, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »
I typically get 16K out of a set of Michelin PR2s or -3's, and I take the tires off the bike while they are still showing tread. And most of my riding is done two- up, so the bike is seeing a bit of weight too. Then again, I am one of two people I think (and the other one may have died) who does not hate riding a motorcycle on the highway; if I have to cover any distance, I actually try to ride the slab. Riding a C-14 down an American highway (and I have driven on the Autobahn- IMO our highways are better, overall) at 72 MPH (speed limit around here is 65 MPH) is an extremely pleasant way for me to kill a few of my remaining hours.

Brian

Brian, you and I seem to be the mileage champs- I can get 18-20k out of PR2's and PR3's also. I must be ridin' like Sailor Chic's Granny. I have 14k on a set of PR4's now that spent some days in the Blue Ridge Mtns. and probably won't go too much further. I'm back in California again and will say that most of the roads here are "smoother" with less bumps because of no frost heaving and salt damage. Also very retentive on keeping 42 PSI.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1750 on: December 14, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
Iwanted to pm you this but dont know how. If you are a firearms guy you might be interested in this.

I'm not, but I like that holster.  Is that custom or can you get it somewhere?  To pm, click the right most box under your avatar.  You can do most anything you can do in a thread.  Also, hover over the 'My Messages' tab at the top of the page and click 'Send a Message'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1751 on: December 14, 2015, 06:32:21 AM »

Well, you could hop over to the other forum and ask Iron Butt Al  about that. Or better yet, lets go for a ride.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1752 on: December 14, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »
Well, you could hop over to the other forum and ask Iron Butt Al  about that. Or better yet, lets go for a ride.
I'd like that! When and where?

Seriously, it was a joke,  I meant no disrespect. I've had my butt kicked by girls more than a few times (on and off bikes). Whenever I refer to riding like a girl I think of girls like Melissa Paris and Elena Myers!
 Girl riders make the world go round :chugbeer:

sailor_chic

« Reply #1753 on: December 14, 2015, 07:22:34 AM »
Lather, I can certainly take a joke, and will gladly ride with you. First thing though, I have to get my bike back from Mama Kaw.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1754 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:14 AM »
I'd like that! When and where?

Seriously, it was a joke,  I meant no disrespect. I've had my butt kicked by girls more than a few times (on and off bikes). Whenever I refer to riding like a girl I think of girls like Melissa Paris and Elena Myers!
 Girl riders make the world go round :chugbeer:
Troof! :banana
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1755 on: December 14, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
Lather, I can certainly take a joke, and will gladly ride with you. First thing though, I have to get my bike back from Mama Kaw.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1756 on: December 14, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
After 40,000 miles and almost 3 years I decided it was time to once again pull the K&N air filter and clean and recharge it weather or not it needed it. Surprisingly enough it did need it.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1757 on: December 14, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »
Air filters get dirty quick! It must be all the bugs with that ram air.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1758 on: December 14, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »
Air filters get dirty quick! It must be all the bugs with that ram air.

Was actually quite impressed that the engine would still run with the thick layer of gunk on that thing.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1759 on: December 14, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
Was actually quite impressed that the engine would still run with the thick layer of gunk on that thing.
I once read where K&N claimed that their filter, after 50,000 miles use, still flowed air better than a new paper filter.  Not sure that it is true, but I waited 50K to clean the one in my car, and the MPG never changed, from date of install, to cleaning, and again renewed.  Guess they do flow ok in cars.  tp