Author Topic: Quadrantid meteor shower  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Conrad

Quadrantid meteor shower
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
http://spaceweather.com/

Earth is about to pass through a stream of debris from 2003 EH1, a comet fragment that produces the annual Quadrantid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak around 07:20 UT (02:20 am EST) on Wednesday morning, January 4th. At maximum, as many as 100 meteors/hour could emerge from a radiant near Polaris, the north star.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Quadrantid meteor shower
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »
Why can't these meteor thingies happen while I'm awake during the day?   Conrad, you need to talk to someone about this..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
You know Jim, I had actually put in a request to have the shower during the day because I know how you are.

I was asked to take a number...

I wonder how long it'll take to get to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
 :rotflmao:   Quite a bit, methinks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
Ok so we can't see them in the middle of the day but why couldn't it peak at 11pm? It always seems to be at 3am.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
Those questions are above my pay grade, sorry.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
So I wonder if it actually does have to peak in the wee hours of the morning. Could it be that as the earth moves around the sun and passes through the field it is presented on the side moving toward sun up? We know that looking down from the north pole the earth rotates counter clock wise. I believe it also rotate around the sun counter clock wise from the north perspective. Therefor if it is passing through a relatively static dust field you would only see them after midnight and would peak just before sunup. Just a guess on my part.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
So I wonder if it actually does have to peak in the wee hours of the morning. Could it be that as the earth moves around the sun and passes through the field it is presented on the side moving toward sun up? We know that looking down from the north pole the earth rotates counter clock wise. I believe it also rotate around the sun counter clock wise from the north perspective. Therefor if it is passing through a relatively static dust field you would only see them after midnight and would peak just before sunup. Just a guess on my part.

That sounds reasonable, it made my head hurt a bit though. I'm fighting off a cold or something and feeling like crap at the moment.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Have some Scotch.  My grandkids think it's medicine.  That's what I tell them, anyway.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
Have some Scotch.  My grandkids think it's medicine.  That's what I tell them, anyway.

That's a good idea, if only I had some here at work. All I brought with me was beer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
Silly boy, beer takes up too much space and liquor is quicker.