Author Topic: Oldest Pub in England closing  (Read 1371 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Oldest Pub in England closing
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:20:51 PM »
That's right.  It's been open 1229 years.  Here's to the pub  :chugbeer: :'(

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/britains-oldest-pub-closes-ye-olde-fighting-cocks-st-albans
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
Re: Oldest Pub in England closing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »
It was in the Guinness book of world records as the oldest pub but has since been removed. The earliest date for which it can be proved to have been licensed is 1756. There is a small part of the building that does go back to medevil times but was used as a chicken coup.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »
Still pretty old...lol

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:06:59 AM »
Quite apart from the effects of the pandemic on businesses like this, the market is changing. Fewer people now drink in pubs, due to a combination of healthier living and having their traditional heavy drinking customer excluded (smoking ban). Due to lower levels of drinks sales the margins on the drinks side just are not there any more. Those pubs that manage to keep going do so based on their restaurant business, not on selling drinks.
I used to drink in a pub every Friday/Saturday night with a large group of friends. After the smoking ban forced us to go outside for a cigarette, we started going to each others houses instead. That became the norm and even though nearly none of us smoke now, we just never went back to the pubs.
Since the smoking ban in 2007, pubs have seen a steady decline in numbers. The pandemic has just accelerated that decline.
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8591/
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:00:07 AM »
Both my wife and myself prefer eating at a bar than a table.  You meet so many nice people that way.  Can't do that at a table.  We're doing our best to keep the local bars afloat where we live.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 02:12:08 AM »
Quite apart from the effects of the pandemic on businesses like this, the market is changing. Fewer people now drink in pubs, due to a combination of healthier living and having their traditional heavy drinking customer excluded (smoking ban). ....

Glad we met in Bunnik when we did. Same for a "meet and greet" at Café De Beyerd on my arrival in NL a few years later with Daan, Ad, and Marc. We (I) missed you then.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 03:15:30 AM »
Likewise :-) Pretty sure we first met at Klamath Falls in 2001, but I could be wrong. Jeez, that was over 20 years ago!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 01:47:38 PM »
Strange, we have gone more to the pubs now that smoking is banned. Brewpubs here in the U.S come close to pubs in the U.K. I think, but they still have a "bar" attitude concerning money, can't blame them. We used to love going to the pub where we were in Canada and spending a few hours reading a magazine or a book, having a pint, getting some chips and talking with the locals without being badgered about drinking more. Sad news. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 02:13:19 AM »
Likewise :-) Pretty sure we first met at Klamath Falls in 2001, but I could be wrong. Jeez, that was over 20 years ago!

Pretty much, I think.

Thinking on a last/final return to EU before I expire, maybe on a rental/loaner scooter. I'll be in touch.

Rick

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
It's too bad. It should be designated a historic site and some funding provided to keep it open. Such places should not be allowed to close this easily. 1229 years is no joke. That is only a few years after earth opened for business.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
It's too bad. It should be designated a historic site and some funding provided to keep it open. Such places should not be allowed to close this easily. 1229 years is no joke. That is only a few years after earth opened for business.

It's actually 266 years but thats still ancient !.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 07:30:55 PM »
The problem with many historic sites/buildings that no one cares enough to contribute to help maintain or save..............until the wrecking ball is on the way through the window.  Then a mighty cry is heard but by then the site/building is too far gone to save......sadly.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 01:40:02 AM »
The building will survive. Just because the business has gone under does not change the buildings protection status. If parts of the pub are that old, it will not be allowed to be demolished. The building is owned by the brewery Mitchells & Butlers. The pubs operators are tenants.

Besides, it's not closed yet.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/feb/14/another-pint-hopes-raised-for-historic-st-albans-pub-closed-by-pandemic
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 02:04:40 AM »
Thinking on a last/final return to EU before I expire, maybe on a rental/loaner scooter. I'll be in touch.
Cool. I'd offer to lend you Otto but he is very high mileage and I'm not sure of his reliability.
Vivian now has suspension setup for my weight so would feel like riding a boulder for you.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 02:50:52 AM »
Cool. I'd offer to lend you Otto but he is very high mileage and I'm not sure of his reliability.
Vivian now has suspension setup for my weight so would feel like riding a boulder for you.
I rode an antique Diversion last time I was in EU. Am sure you can rekindle the stories of me and Martin in the Alps.

If Otto is a little long in the tooth, so am I. You know I have tools. You'd have to deliver to mainland EU though, as I don't drive on the wrong side of the road ;) Probably never will... much less on your A40 ;)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 01:20:50 AM »
I rode an antique Diversion last time I was in EU. Am sure you can rekindle the stories of me and Martin in the Alps.

If Otto is a little long in the tooth, so am I. You know I have tools. You'd have to deliver to mainland EU though, as I don't drive on the wrong side of the road ;) Probably never will... much less on your A40 ;)
Otto is very long in the tooth (200k miles). I would ride him anywhere but then I've been riding/maintaining/rebuilding him for 20 years now.
Delivery to the EU would be awkward though.

The A40 is an excellent road, so long as you avoid the crappy London bit inside the M25.
From west of Oxford to Fishguard it's a hoot to ride so long as you avoid Cheltenham and most of Gloucester via the A436/A417.
The bit from Abergavenny to Llandovery is also pretty scenic. I remember riding along there with Jesal. We pulled over to watch 2 Tornado fighter jets playing low level "chase me" in the valleys.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK