Author Topic: Thinking about an Olympia Phantom, any thoughts?  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Thinking about an Olympia Phantom, any thoughts?
« on: October 30, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
I am thinking about getting a one piece suit for longer trips in cooler weather.  Seems to a be a lot of features packed into this suit for a decent price.  I know that Aerostich is going to be the popular choice but I refuse to spend $1000 on a suit.  Maybe if I win the lottery.....

Any feedback on what you like or don't along with body size compared to how the size you chose, fits you.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline beilts

Re: Thinking about an Olympia Phantom, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
I have the Hi-Viz Neon.
I absolutely love the suit. 
The only problem I have had in Louisiana is it is not cold enough to hardly ever need the liner. Once you get the knack of putting it on (there are actually some videos out there about putting them on) it only takes a few seconds to don it. I more often wear the liner to my Olympia mesh jacket (which I also love) than the entire liner.

I see they have them for $299 here:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-phantom-one-piece-suit?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CL_k-KmFqrMCFaOaPAodtS4ABg

I am 5'11" and 185 and bought the large. It fits well over clothes.

I do not think you can go wrong!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
My Firstgear one piece cold suit is super warm. One problem...& why I'll never own another, is at My age, bathroom emergencies can happen. Getting out of the suit quickly is impossible. I actually had to have a stranger help Me out of mine once, & was almost too late.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:51:52 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
You should post up your question on this thread I started Jeremy on winter gear, I'm trying to keep it going as a winter gear depository since we don't have a dedicated section here...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11309.0

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
I checked your thread for any Olympia Phantom related info and figured I would post up my thoughts about it once I get it and put it to use.

Offline udoggie

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:55 AM »
Okay, well you probably don't want to hear it. but here's a plug for the Aerostitch.

Yea, it costs a lot.  I added the hip and spine protectors as well.

That said though, my flesh is worth a lot more more than the suit...

I've had mine for 2.5 years now, and absolutely love it.  Fast to get in and out of,  dry, and it fits in my Givi V46.

I switched from generic black gear to a Red w/black trim 'stitch, and I've also noticed that I appear to be seen by the cagers a lot better as well.  (Granted, that might just be the color...)

I washed it a few weeks ago (easy, just remove the armor and wash in a regular washing machine, and hang to dry), and it looks like new again.

I can easily see it lasting another 10+ years, so the per-year cost isn't so bad.

One other thought -- I decided on the one-piece mostly for the reason that it would basically be impossible to skip wearing the pant component.  I'm a ATGATT kind of guy, but need a little help with the one-piece to keep from being lazy.

As for sizing, I just got my measurements, and ran it thru their website's size estimator.  They got back to me within a day.  I ordered what they suggested, and it fit perfectly.

If you buy a non-modified suit, they offer exchanges as well.

Regards,

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the Phantom in the NON retina burning pewter.

The Aerostitch is great I'm sure but for $1000+ it should be.  I have read lots of good reviews about the Phantom so I will see how I like it.  For $300 I don't have much to lose.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
Waiting to see how you like it. I need something to wear in winter time here in arkansas.  :popcorn:
2004 C10 RIP

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
I've had my Phantom for a few years now; well worth the sheckles.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »
I've had my Phantom for a few years now; well worth the sheckles.

How does it fit, and if you wouldn't mind share your measurements?

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
It's an X-large. I am 5' 11", 32" inseam, 205lbs. Fit's a little loose. The large fit me kinda snug and didn't allow room for layering.

I've used it down to 6º with a micro fleece base layer and heated glove and insoles. No water leaks.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline okxd45

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
Love my Moab (see avatar). I would definitely consider the phantom as well......although I like my retinas inflamed. ::) 
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Love my Moab (see avatar). I would definitely consider the phantom as well......although I like my retinas inflamed. ::)

I actually like the Hi Viz yellow, but I would have to wash it every week to keep it looking clean.  That is really the biggest reason I went with the pewter.

Thanks for the info CigarSki.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »
I had one in 2007.  I found mine NOT waterproof and got to be a PITA getting in and out when stopping for gas or to eat.  I too found out about how much fun trying to get out of it in a bathroom emergency  ;D  I kept it a few months then sold it.  I am 6' and 185 pounds and a large fit me great, I cut a hole in the left inside pocket to run the wire for my heated gear.

Here is a pic

I am so stupid a few years later I bought the one piece mesh and realized how dumb I was since I am a two piece gear person and sold it too.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
I got it today and tried it on, my torso must be extra long because my nuts take a beating unless I droop my shoulders. 

I can't go up a size since the arms and legs are already big enough for an extra layer (or two). 

I'll either stretch it out since I'm done having kids anyway or return it and pick out a nice two piece suit.   ;)

Looking at the Olympia AST jacket.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:53:55 PM by Jeremy Mitchell »

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »
I got it today and tried it on, my torso must be extra long because my nuts take a beating unless I droop my shoulders. 

I can't go up a size since the arms and legs are already big enough for an extra layer (or two). 

I'll either stretch it out since I'm done having kids anyway or return it and pick out a nice two piece suit.   ;)

Looking at the Olympia AST jacket.

If the long torso is the case then a two piece would be more comfortable.  I stay away from Olympia because I found them non waterproof.  I also had the AST and got soaking wet in a heavy rain storm, sold that jacket too.  Maybe they have improved over the years.  I am a Firstgear kind of guy.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
Haven't decided yet, but the AST has great reviews. 

I dealt with Motorcycle closeouts and this will be my last transaction with them.  Their return and exchange policy is horrible.