Author Topic: Killed my ABS  (Read 882 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Killed my ABS
« on: August 07, 2022, 09:12:00 AM »
I failed to notice my ABS cable was mis-aligned when I re-indtaslled my caliper after a tire change. I pinched the cable and now the ABS light stays on. Is the cable patchable? Has anyone replaced a n ABS cable?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Killed my ABS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »
Well,  ANY cable is repairable.  It is just a matter of finding the damage.  Since you know where the pinch point is, that should be pretty easy.  Strip off the insulation, find the cut connection, strip that on both ends, splice in a tiny jumper, solder it on both ends, cover those, then cover the whole cable again.

As for the covering- DO NOT use electric tape, at least not in the outer layer.  It simply will NOT hold up over time.  One tricky thing is that the best cover is heat shrink tubing and that only really works when there are no connectors in the way.  If you can remove the connector pins, then you can get a suitably-sized piece of tubing to the area in need of sealing.  That is the "proper" way.  Anything else will be much less betterer... but I have been known to use liquid insulator or a special kind of self-fusing rubber tape:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWROO7E
https://www.amazon.com/XFasten-Silicone-Fusing-1-Inch-36-Foot/dp/B01N7KC62D
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:48:05 AM »
Or just replace the sensor. Several available on eBay for both 08/09 and 10-22 models and not silly money either.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 06:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.. I'll have a look om Ebay. The new sensor is $107 at partzilla. Took a long time to locate the part number  The sensor is shown in the master cylinder diagram for some reason.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:51:40 PM »
I would gladly spend the estimated 30 min to repair the cable to save $120+.  Especially if it means I don't have to tear into the bike to get to the ECU side of the cable.  But I know not everyone is comfortable with such a repair.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 04:30:17 PM »
I looked at an Ebay sensor but did not buy. The seller made me a discount offer and I bought it for 20 bucks. Just for kicks I will attempt a patch. But will be a while. Getting the bike ready for a trip to Wyoming, will  mess with the abs sensor when I get back. Never been an ABS fan. In 100 miles of ABS bike riding the thing has come on 5 times, and never when I needed it.