Author Topic: New project  (Read 8800 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: New project
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »
Where they are located now is a natural spot for them as both the brake and clutch brackets capture it. If it was lower I don't think it would stay very good.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
Where they are located now is a natural spot for them as both the brake and clutch brackets capture it. If it was lower I don't think it would stay very good.
Thats kinda along the lines that I was thinking.  If your pressure points are out at the furthermost contact point; that is where the most vibration is (other than the bar ends).
The capture point that I am using is actually the hollow end of the bars.  I removed the plastic caps; the soft rubber ends of the "Buzz-less" press into the open bars.  Its makes a very secure capture point.
I have been so F'n busy at work I havent had much time at all to tune it in.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »
How about calling it "The Buzz Kill". ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »
How about calling it "The Buzz Kill". ;D
That's catchy, but you don't want the name to reflect something its not. Buzz-less yes, buzz kill, not completely.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm currently in North Carolina. I'll be heading home Sunday, late afternoon.

FYI.  ;)

Doug Colton

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 08:25:25 AM »
The bars don't function as tuning forks.  I tried something like this years ago with a piece of all-thread and some brackets that were bolted to the mirror holes.  It didn't do a thing.  If this thing works it is because it is absorbing some the vibration.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
The bars don't function as tuning forks.  I tried something like this years ago with a piece of all-thread and some brackets that were bolted to the mirror holes.  It didn't do a thing.  If this thing works it is because it is absorbing some the vibration.
I was Kinda wondering that.  Actualy that was the reason that I was using the soft rubber tips. Do do recall how much torque you tightened your all-thread to?
All I know is while riding; if I press hard on the end of my bars, the buzz goes away.
Either way it works, and its worth looking into. I'm to damn cheap...errrrr I mean frugal for Heli-bars and the such. I was just looking for a cheap yet affective approach to reduce the "buzz of death"
2002 Conc

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »

If that is the case, I am wondering if replacing the red plastic ends with lead slugs of similar shape would improve the performance of the gadget.  OTOH lead slugs would probably be harder to work with and might not be as durable.  Still increasing the mass of the brace might make it function better.
Little wheel turns by the fire and the rod.
Big wheel turns by the grace of god.
Every time that wheel comes round,
'Bound to cover just a little more ground.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
When I made my setup, I didn't use a torque wrench.  I rarely ever use a torque wrench except for certain "critical" situations.  Anyway, I can't say with 100% certainty that different torque settings would have made a difference, but I rather doubt it.  My setup was rather ugly.  If it had proven effective, then I would have moved on to try to make something more aesthetic.  I sure was disappointed.  Glad to hear your setup is showing good results.  Hopefully it's a better mousetrap.

Just thinking out loud here.  It would be interesting to see if you could somehow get a visual on how much the vibrations are dampened.  Vibrations are sort of magnified by some sort of extension.  Maybe you could tape or rubber band a length of drinking straw to the bars and take a look with and without the damper.  Maybe wrap it around the bars somehow sort of in a U shape so that two ends are sticking out perpendicular to the bars.  I'm not suggesting you video it or anything.  I just know that, at least for me, it's sometimes nice to be able to confirm somehow my seat of the pants conclusion.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
Morning jworth,
You said your set up was mounted to the mirror mounting points on the bars?  Wonder if that's where the differance in results are coming from. Chris has his brace set closer the the top triple tree and it's bracing the main part of the bars. The mirror attach points are almost a "secondary" part of the bars.

Just thinking out loud again. Slap me if ya need too.  ;D

Doug Colton