Author Topic: Brutal Fuel Odor  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Refted

Brutal Fuel Odor
« on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »
 :-[ Ordered new cap last yr, had dealer replace. gas odor is now worse than ever. No big about the smell in the garage- wife doesn't like it but no big deal. The odor while riding is bad! I know that the cap vents but has anyone experienced it this bad? Is there a solution? Any help would be appreciated.

TED

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Brutal Fuel Odor
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
Could try an air freshener to mask the smell, or make you forget about it..

Other than that, check your vent hoses under the tank and verify their clear.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
Mine had a strong gas smell while riding and when just stopped last year.  The diaphram (spelling?) in the petcock was leaking when ever the bike was running.

Look around the back of the petcock, fuel line and on top of the #1 carb right after you shut it off after your next ride to see if anything is wet with gas in the area.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
Had a CB750 that would flood the air filter with fuel.  I never did figure out why.  But I knew that the filter was flooded when I started smelling fuel.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline works4me

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Refted didn't mention what year his bike is but my '01's gas tank
started leaking through pin holes at the rear when it was about
3 or 4 years old. I became aware when my clothes smelled of fuel.
Sealed the tank and problem gone.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »
Remove the tank from the bike.
No fuel should come from the petcock unless you turn it to prime.  Does the petcock leak?
How are the vent hoses. Are any pinched?
Check the hoses around the carbs. Any cracked or broken?
Is the tank wet near the back corners? That is where they rust out and leak.
Do you have over flow tubes installed on your carbs? Why not?
What is your current gas mileage?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Refted

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mileage is about 37-39, hasn't changed since I bought the bike used in 2007.
It's an '01; just turned 20K last week.
Checked the vent hoses and all around the tank, there does not seem to be any leaks.
I have seen on this and other forums reports of a 'whistling' sound out of the gascap
when parked in the sun or on hot days. I have that sound which is quite noticeable after any ride
regardless of the temperature. I have been told that this 'venting' is normal for a Concours. After about 5 minutes, the whistling stops, but by then the garage is filled with fumes. It also stops if I open the tank but resumes within
30 seconds of replacing the cap.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »
From what you're telling us everything sounds normal. You should verify that the petcock is working as it should. Is the insulation material still on the bottom of the gas tank? Its supposed to insulate heat from the gas tank. Mark

Offline Refted

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
Mark- Did not see any insulating material on the tank. It is supposed to be attached?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Mark- Did not see any insulating material on the tank. It is supposed to be attached?
I think only the California spec bikes had the insulation.  I know mine (NY) doesn't have any.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Leo

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but I fixed the problem by changing the windshield.  I put on a Cee Bailey vented model.  The constant flow of fresh air eliminates the vacuum that drew the fumes right up into my face. 

The second thing I do is run with a tank bag.  My TourMaster bag has a rubber bottom that kind of seals stuff.  On the rear of the gas cap, under the hinged part is a vent hole that leads to a hose on the right rear of the tank.  I believe that this hose takes over if the air flow gets blocked.   I have never had a running or venting problem, so I figure this must be alright.

Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
Thats interesting about non-california bikes not having the insulation on the bottom of the tank. My bike is a calif. model so I assumed they all had it. It seems as though having the insulation would help keep the engine heat from radiating up to the gas tank. My bike does hiss through the cap vent also when stopped in the sun or after a ride on a hot day. But I don't notice any excessive fumes like yours. I do have all the calif. smog cannister stuff still hooked up and I think that helps keep the fumes down. For that reason I haven't taken it off. Its not supposed to provide any performance gains so I left it. Mark

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:37:04 AM »
I don't know what to say. I have never had that issue on any bike including the Conc. Although I have had a problem where when left out in the summer sun (when it is hottest) mine has done something of a vapor lock. I found that if I am having those problems I just quickly open the gas cap and close it, then all is fine.

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Just because the tank insulation only came on the Cali bikes doesn't mean you can't find and put some on one of the others.  May or may not help.  I notice Vrooomm 'gasses' more after a hotter ride than a shorter one, and she's got the insulation.

Check fuel bowl levels, watch your engine oil level, and read your plugs.  Don't overfill the gas tank.  Just to the bottom of the filler neck and no more - especially on Cali bikes.  The MPG sounds reasonable - depending on how you ride. 

If those things check out, may be normal if your garage is kinda well sealed. 
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:16:44 PM by knight_mare »

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
Could try an air freshener to mask the smell, or make you forget about it..

Other than that, check your vent hoses under the tank and verify their clear.

Nice air freshener.  :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »
Mine's got a bit of an odor also when she's running.  Never noticed this on any other bike.

I rebuilt the petcock back in 08 but maybe it's leaking again.  Looking at the petcock it had the fine, greasy coat of dirt on the back that is a tell-tale sign of a gas leak.

Come to think of it, there was a fine coat of greasy dirt on my oil filler cap too.  hmmm.....

So it's a Pingel for me I guess.  Ordered one from Powersport Superstore on Amazon last month but they never shipped it.  Very substandard company to do business with BTW--do not recommend.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 05:19:11 AM »
So it's a Pingel for me I guess.  Ordered one from Powersport Superstore on Amazon last month but they never shipped it.  Very substandard company to do business with BTW--do not recommend.
Order a new one from here:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=140
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Order a new one from here:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=140

If only Murphs carried something besides Kawasaki OEM.  4 years from rebuild kit to leaks is unacceptable.  I'm also not a big fan of vacuum petcocks on my bike--no overflow tubes in my carbs.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
You were able to get 4 years from a rebuild? I got 4 minutes when I did my rebuild.  That is why I buy new. The link I gave you is for new and not for a rebuild.
Please rethink automatic versus  manual petcock. When you have no overflow tubes  your chances of hydro locking go way up when when you have a manual.
We have had many discussions  as to why that is.
Just get over flow tubes ASAP before something bad happens.