Author Topic: Tire won't seal  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Summit670

Re: Tire won't seal
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »
I think this is what Summit670 is referring to:  (Though you'll need some way to control the air supply)

I'll be darned if a chuck looking exactly like that wasn't in the Harbor Freight ads today. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »
Be careful. I finally found one at NAPA. Most of those are like your standard air chuck. They are what is called "normally closed". The one I found today is called "normally open". If you look at the inside of them you can definitely see the difference.

The NAPA part number is 90-526. Their website makes no mention of being normally open or closed.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
Another little piece that will work....if you bought one of those little air tool sets similar to what Walmart sells - it normally has a regular air chuck in it and a few various other pieces just for blowing off dust or whatever.  One of the little pieces that comes in that set is a little black, rubber cone-shaped tip that screws into one of the little guns.  That tip works pretty well for trying to seat a tire on your rim.  You just remove the valve stem core and then you can hold the rubber tip against the end of the valve stem and let the air flow!  It may not be the greatest but it works if you happen to have one laying around.

Marlan
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline JDM

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:08:48 AM »
Take it from an OLD FART that has been there, this is a lot easier.   http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/tire-shop/all?evar1=goo|ts_-_general_-_for_sale_-_ps|store_phrase_-_ps|tire_stores|phrase
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:58 AM »
Here is a pic of the chuck I was talking about.

Another little piece that will work....if you bought one of those little air tool sets similar to what Walmart sells - it normally has a regular air chuck in it and a few various other pieces just for blowing off dust or whatever.  One of the little pieces that comes in that set is a little black, rubber cone-shaped tip that screws into one of the little guns.  That tip works pretty well for trying to seat a tire on your rim.  You just remove the valve stem core and then you can hold the rubber tip against the end of the valve stem and let the air flow!  It may not be the greatest but it works if you happen to have one laying around.

I don't know how you would effectively get that to the valve stem on the front tire with both of those discs in the way. It's tough enough with the angled chuck.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
I don't know how you would effectively get that to the valve stem on the front tire with both of those discs in the way. It's tough enough with the angled chuck.
Well, I always remove the discs so as not to damage them when installing a tire.  Doesn't take much to accidentally bend one.

And I have angled valve stems, anyway.

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=72
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline dvitous

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
I had a PR2 front in 110/80 - replacing the 110/80 Michelin Mac 50 that was running on my '99.  It *would not* seat no matter what I did.  Tried all the tricks.

Took it to 2 shops, and they couldn't get it to seat either.

Sent it back (never did get my refund  >:( ) and got the 120/70 instead.  The wife took it to get it mounted... so I never got a chance to try again.

Since then... just put on some Avon Road Riders this year - 110 front... went on without complaint.  No ratchet-straps needed, and my 3gal compressor (with the above-mentioned chuck) handled the job.  8)
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline Bart

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »
I use a chuck similar in appearance to the 90-526 with a quick release. I removed the center pin that pushes on the Schrader valve. I also remove the Schrader valve from the rim. With the compressor fully charged I connect the chuck and quickly hold it onto the rim stem. The only time I've had trouble is when the tire was not properly lubed.

I use the No-Mar tire bar and lube with a harbor Freight tire changer. They work great together and changes are very easy. The No-Mar lube works better than the car tire lube I was using.