Author Topic: What's on your TV these days?  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: What's on your TV these days?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 03:15:56 PM »
Each Commonwealth country has it's own government.
The UK parliament has zero control over any Commonwealth countries.
The Queen/King is head of state of 14 Commonwealth countries (not all) but has zero power in any except the UK.
The King/Queen has limited powers in the UK.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 03:35:48 PM »
Only 14?!?!? I thought it was far more than that.

And what is the most consequential power she holds in UK? Can she mobilize your military at will without any obstruction? I hear Her Majesty's Royal Navy etc. in the movies. Don't know what that means or if it is just an archaic term.

Each Commonwealth country has it's own government.
The UK parliament has zero control over any Commonwealth countries.
The Queen/King is head of state of 14 Commonwealth countries (not all) but has zero power in any except the UK.
The King/Queen has limited powers in the UK.

Offline zgirl

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2022, 10:12:34 PM »
It sounds to me as if the Monarchy has power in the form of influence and negotiations (especially outside the UK).  More of an ambassador than ruler, but working together with and for the people via Parliament   The final word coming from parliament?

Thank you for the insight Boomer.

So King Charles III would need the Prime Minister and parliament to mobilize the military I would think? 
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2022, 04:53:34 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Boomer, but King Charles III would not be mobilizing anything.  The government would if it came to anything like that.  I'm sure there would be some keeping in the loop kind of stuff, but he doesn't have any real power to do anything.  The government is in charge, not him, thankfully.  He's basically a figurehead.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 01:01:50 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »
You know, I'm really starting to get pissed off with all the criticism of the UK, the Commonwealth and the Queen from our news media.  Many of these criticisms are quite valid but at least wait until she's buried and the country is over the mourning phase (will never be over for me) before we start digging into the dirt.  We weren't digging into it before she passed on.  Just wait a fkn few days and get past the funeral.  And yes, I'm royally pissed. I hate the news media.

Offline zgirl

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
You know, I'm really starting to get pissed off with all the criticism of the UK, the Commonwealth and the Queen from our news media.  Many of these criticisms are quite valid but at least wait until she's buried and the country is over the mourning phase (will never be over for me) before we start digging into the dirt.  We weren't digging into it before she passed on.  Just wait a fkn few days and get past the funeral.  And yes, I'm royally pissed. I hate the news media.
What??  Are you trying to be civiized? 

I am with you brother. 
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
The funeral is the 19th and I'm going to take off that day to view it.  I'm doing this for both myself and my mother (English) who isn't with us anymore.  She would have been glued to the tv set.

Funeral activities

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62861617

Offline zgirl

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2022, 10:58:07 PM »
There are not many political figures that I admire, however, I appreciated the steadfastness that HM displayed during my lifetime.  I believe she did her best and stood by her convictions to serve. (Keep in mind that I am not of fan of Monarchy/Parlament vs. our Constitutional Republic)

No one will agree with everything one does over the years, but it is rare to see how she maintained the dignity of her office and the loyalty of a large percentage of the UK's population.

I don't believe there will be another like her and that is a shame.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 03:49:37 AM »
Amen!

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »
I finally dropped DirecTV after 28 years of subscribing - about $30,000 over the years. We have Sling now, about $35 a month. Next to go is Netflix - the movie selection is mostly movies from 2020, 2021, & 2022 and most of the Covid era movies are not very good IMHO. Prime is still suiting our needs.
Here's a list from another forum of TV shows suggestions - not sorted where of if the show is streamed. 

Band of Brothers
Better Call Saul 2
Betty
Billions.
Blood Lines 2
Breaking Bad 3
Broadchurch 2
Cable Girls NF
Call the Midwife
Cobra Kai NF
Coupling
Downton Abby 2
Endeavor
Enslaved Tracing the Atlantic African slave trade.
Episodes - Matt LeBlanc is hilarious
Fargo - Seasons 1 and 2 especially (Hulu)
Fawlty Towers
Finding Your Roots
Forgot
Goliath
Grand Hotel (netflix) - about 65 episodes. Early 1900's Spain. A good watch.
Halt and Catch Fire
Happy 245th Birthday today, Nov. 10, 2020, all you Leathernecks out there!
Killing Eve
Kominsky Method
Letterkenny
Lodge 49 (this is not 49 votes......, it's called L49 :>)
Lone Star Law
Longmire 2
Lost
Lucifer 2
Luther
Mad Men
Making a Murderer NF
Mandalorian
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Mindhunter
Monty Python
Mr. Inbetween
Mr. Mercedes
Mr. Robot
Murdoch Mysteries
Nurse Jackie 3
oddities and endities
Orange is the New Black
Ozark 3
Peaky Blinders (Netflix)
Psych 2
Puppet History YT
Rake
Recity
Santa Calrita Diet
Schitt's Creek - Netflix if you want to go from ep one 2
Schitt's Creek NF
Silicon Valley
Sneaky Pete (Amazon - first two seasons especially) 2
Snowpiercer
The Americans
The Crown - Netflix
The Durrells of Corfu
The Frankeinstein Chronicles
The Handmaids Tale
The Man in in the high Castle (Amazon)
The Marvelous Mrs. Maiel on Prime. 2
The Office NF
The Outsider
The Queen's Gambit
The Shield
The Staircase - NetFlix
This is Us
Umbrella Academy 2
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - so much fun
Unsolved Mysteries Various
Warrior
Washington You know, about that old George Dude.
Watchmen Series spun from the movie.
Wentworth (Netflix)
West Wing 3
Yellowstone 2
Younger Hulu

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »
We watched most of the first season of the original British TV show "All Creatures Great and Small" from 1978. Decent. Now, we changed a bit and are watching the first season of "High Chaparral" from 1967. Great 60's western escapism with wonderful old color and landscapes, filmed mostly outdoors at the Old Tucson movie studio.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Boomer, but King Charles III would not be mobilizing anything.  The government would if it came to anything like that.  I'm sure there would be some keeping in the loop kind of stuff, but he doesn't have any real power to do anything.  The government is in charge, not him, thankfully.  He's basically a figurehead.
Technically the military are under government control, but the Monarch is the titular head of all the armed services and most soldiers would side with the Monarchy if they had to choose between government and the Monarchy. Luckily it's never come to that.
The Monarch meets the Prime Minister once per week so they can heavily influence our governments policies.

Back to the main topic, the TV here is going down the pan
So many dumbed down programmes, so many opinion shows sold as fact, and now the BBC is under political control.
I mostly watch comedy shows and the few documentaries that don't treat me like an imbecile.
On the plus side I am back to reading more books. Currently re-reading Heinleins entire collection. 😁
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline zgirl

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 07:14:49 PM »
We watched most of the first season of the original British TV show "All Creatures Great and Small" from 1978. Decent. Now, we changed a bit and are watching the first season of "High Chaparral" from 1967. Great 60's western escapism with wonderful old color and landscapes, filmed mostly outdoors at the Old Tucson movie studio.

We enjoy "All Creatures Great and Small" when we catch it.

Love, love love High Chaparral.  The entire thing was done mostly in AZ and everyone basically lived as ranch hands.  As someone that loves horses, it is great to see an entire cast that knows how to ride.  The chemistry between the actors is phenomenal.  Linda Crystal really didn't even have a command of the English language when she auditioned for the part.  The story of making it is as interesting as the series.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2022, 08:17:57 AM »
We watched it as kids, the guy who developed it also developed Bonanza, there are some similarities between the shows. We were in the area where it was filmed in 1994 and we were amazed at the desert and cactus, it was May and it was in bloom. As a music guy the theme song is wonderful, quintessential American western film music. It was written by David Rose who did many other TV show themes but most will remember him for doing a song called "The Stripper" from the mid-60's.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline zgirl

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2022, 09:35:08 AM »
We watched it as kids, the guy who developed it also developed Bonanza, there are some similarities between the shows. We were in the area where it was filmed in 1994 and we were amazed at the desert and cactus, it was May and it was in bloom. As a music guy the theme song is wonderful, quintessential American western film music. It was written by David Rose who did many other TV show themes but most will remember him for doing a song called "The Stripper" from the mid-60's.

David Dortort.  He was very talented and had an amazing, productive career with Bonanza and High Chaparral. 
He also produced The Cowboys in the '70's which is one of my favorite movies and ONE of the reasons I despise Bruce Dern.  As far as I can tell, he just plays himself in almost every production I have seen.
Arizona is amazingly beautiful, especially in the rainy season (just watch out for monsoons and dry river beds). 
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline zgirl

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
Technically the military are under government control, but the Monarch is the titular head of all the armed services and most soldiers would side with the Monarchy if they had to choose between government and the Monarchy. Luckily it's never come to that.
The Monarch meets the Prime Minister once per week so they can heavily influence our governments policies.

Back to the main topic, the TV here is going down the pan
So many dumbed down programmes, so many opinion shows sold as fact, and now the BBC is under political control.
I mostly watch comedy shows and the few documentaries that don't treat me like an imbecile.
On the plus side I am back to reading more books. Currently re-reading Heinleins entire collection. 😁

I agree that television is going down the pan.  I find myself watching productions that are least 3 decades old or older to find any thoughtful content.  Books are my other respite.  Once in awhile there are programs that offer comedic relief, but intelligent content has fallen by the wayside it seems.

Keep the faith!!  I am certain someone is capable and willing to take up the baton and allow meaningful content to be allowed again.   :)
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »
We've started watching the older free movies on Youtube. 

Offline FTB530

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2022, 08:56:43 AM »
Dust, i haven’t watched my tv in my house in over six years 😂

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »
Wow. Do you then watch stuff on your ipad or phone?

Dust, i haven’t watched my tv in my house in over six years 😂