Author Topic: Oil change?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Oil change?
« on: March 18, 2022, 12:37:26 PM »
Sorry to start another oil thread, but my googlefu isn’t up to finding the answer to my question. I realized after changing my oil this morning that Mobil 1 probably isn’t rated for wet clutches.
Should I drain out the Mobil 1 and buy mc oil or let it ride?

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline tynesidebob

Re: Oil change?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 02:46:25 PM »
Let it ride, there is no difference in real life.
I’ve used slick 50 in lots of high powered bikes and never had any clutch problems.
The JASO spec is just an excuse to triple the price.
The fact that oil has not been certified to JASO specs does not mean that it does not meet them.
I know one British oil company ( Morris ) put exactly the same oil in both v twin race oil tubs and extended life fleet car oil tubs.
I was told this by an employee so I checked it out with health and safety declarations for both products, identical ash analysis!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 05:55:50 AM »
I would recommend using only motorcycle oil in a wet clutch motorcycle.  I also only use real synthetic in the C14 (just a personal choice, but I do use Mobil 1 in the car).

I had to switch brands because of availability and chose Motul this time:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKCY9RK

Will using car oil once cause imminent clutch wear/damage?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I doubt it is worth $5 per oil change to find out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 02:51:07 AM »
Let it ride, there is no difference in real life.
I’ve used slick 50 in lots of high powered bikes and never had any clutch problems.
The JASO spec is just an excuse to triple the price.
The fact that oil has not been certified to JASO specs does not mean that it does not meet them.
I know one British oil company ( Morris ) put exactly the same oil in both v twin race oil tubs and extended life fleet car oil tubs.
I was told this by an employee so I checked it out with health and safety declarations for both products, identical ash analysis!

NO, NO, NO!!  Using oil that is NOT labelled JASO MA or MA2 will damage your clutch.  Why?  Regular automotive engine oils contain friction modifiers to make it "slipperier".  This will cause your clutch to begin slipping and eventually you will need to replace the clutch disks.

No, this is not an excuse to triple the price and MA or MA2 oil isn't priced significantly higher (in my experience at least) than automotive oils of the same quality.

There is a Mobil 1 MA/MA2 rated oil:

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-racing-4t-10w-40

But don't take my word for it.  Read your Owners Manual and you will see MA or MA2 specified.  Also look at the oil weight vs. temperature chart.  For most of us living below the Arctic Circle, the best choice is 20W-50 as that covers the usual operating environmental temperatures.

My personal preference is the Castrol Actevo Motorcycle oil:

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motorcycle-oil-and-fluids/motorcycle-engine-oils/motorcycle-oil-brands/castrol-actevo.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwoduRBhA4EiwACL5RPy0kY5hlGLPeejNOv9sSlfCT72hjX6y46jd-AQZw_yATgM7GiUUZpBoCqZQQAvD_BwE

Many here also like the Shell Rotella T6 Diesel Oil which is also rated for motorcycles.

In answer to your question: Yes, drain that regular oil out and replace with MA or MA2 spec oil before you damage your clutch.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
I’m convinced. I just got 8qts of Valvoline MC oil delivered and will be changing out the Mobil 1 for the Valvoline after breakfast today. I hate tossing a gallon of brand new oil but nothing I own runs 15W-50.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline dbird29

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 07:16:01 AM »
Save that Mobil1 for the car or the lawn mower
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 02:48:40 AM »
As this is in the C14 board I'm assuming that you are putting it in the C14.  I always used Mobil1 4T 10w-40 personally but would not use anything not rated for MC wet clutch use. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tynesidebob

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 04:05:56 AM »
Over two hundred thousand miles of personal experience and never a slipping clutch.
But that’s just my experience.
You must do whatever keeps you happy.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 04:15:14 AM »
When you have 400,000 miles on it, I'll pay more attention....lol  Happy riding.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
Last change I used Valvoline full syn MC oil. I went with 20w50 since the weather is already warm here. Supposed to be in the 90's on Saturday...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-4-Stroke-Motorcycle-Full-Synthetic-SAE-10W-40-Motor-Oil-1-QT/16777818

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-4-Stroke-Motorcycle-Full-Synthetic-SAE-20W-50-Motor-Oil-1-QT/16777819
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.