Author Topic: Cabin Fever ...  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Cabin Fever ...
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
... makes me break things that worked fine.
I finished up all I had to do to the C10 last week and it now patiently waits for spring. Well, I'm bored so I figure I'll get my hands dirty on a 1977 Batavus moped. That ran fine.
Took carb off and cleaned it. Done. Needed something else to do. Oh look...it need a belt. Okay, lets dissasemble to get to that. Great. Hmm...let's take the head off and check carbon build-up. Gee, those ports look nasty and there's a ridge on the bore. Cool...more stuff to do. Remove cylinder, de-carbon and clean up the bore, piston and rings. Ahh...endorphins. This thing is going to run great. Maybe even up to 35 mph! Oh boy! oh boy!
Okay, time to get the motor back together and then I'll call it quits for now. I'll save the clutch for tomorrow. What is this cylinder hanging up on? Oh...got it...the second ring. Ok...ok...got it...snap! What was that. Hmm. What WAS that!? Yeah, it was the second ring. Oh man, where am I going to find a ring for this!!? Luckily for me the interwebs has them. Yay!
Did I mention that this thing ran fine?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Cabin Fever ...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Should've met us in the FL keys over the weekend!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Cabin Fever ...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »
Cabin fever is a communicable disease.

We had two inches of snow last night, so the entire state is paralyzed.

I had to replace one broken tile in the raised hearth in front of my fireplace.  House built in 1976, they don't make that tile anymore.  Got enough tile to replace them all with new style.  Removed old tile and found rotten, uneven plywood underneath.  Replaced that and got Hardibacker board to install over it.  Needed to sand the wooden hearth frame to clean it up before installing tiles.  Sanding by hand takes too long.  Tried using power-sander, but that scares the crap out of the cats.  Fireplace is metal-framed zero-clearance type, black paint is loose in some spots, needs repainting, before the tile can go in.  Got primer and high-temp paint, started sanding.  Had to remove most of the front sheet metal to get to where I need to be.  Fireplace box started to shift in the frame.  I'll deal with that later.  Got super-thin plastic sheet to make a tent around the fireplace.  Moved chair, automan, entertainment cabinet with electronics, 46-inch TV, etc., for working room.   Thought I might be able to get better access to front sheet metal so I removed two wood trim strips on the sides.  Didn’t realize they were glued on as well as nailed.  Split the right side and will need to make a new one.  Sanded paint until I got tired, went down to the basement to cut a couple of tiles for trial fit into frame.  When I plugged in the brand-new Rigid tile saw, (a really nice tool), the elecrical outlet fall apart in my hand.  Luckily I didn’t get zapped.  Got new GFCI outlet and it is too deep, won’t fit into the box.

Said screw it, sat down to have a beer and surf the 'net.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.