Author Topic: brrrrrrrr  (Read 57807 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: brrrrrrrr
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
Is this how you did it, Jim?
http://youtu.be/_Po-qpUZ6pE

That IS pretty slick...although it wouldn't work on my roof right now...lol, certainly not with a man pushing it by hand...lol.
If it had a hydraulic ram perhaps, on the boom of an excavator...and of course that pipe would need to be strengthened up.

Now that I think of it, I could really just use an excavator and do without the fancy manual roof-snow removal apparatus...LOL>

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
man, this is getting pretty much painful here in the snowbelt of Ohio... weather chanels say we were to have "about 4" of snow"..
just got done blowing off another 8-10 from the drive... we now have snow over 30" deep in the yard, after it's been settling for the last 2 weeks....this in reality, if measured after every event, would add up to almost 6 feet total accumulation... virtually impossible to walk thru around my 3 acres perimeter... :rotflmao: why the hell didn't I buy a snowmobile this last falll? !!! may have to buy one this spring when I get back to work, like buying a snowblower, or washing the car, it will surely make the weather change to be the opposite you want for the reasoning...
now we have a forecast (currently we are in a heatwave @ 25*) of RAIN come Tuesday... OMG... this is gonna be fun, seeing as the rivers and lake are completely frozen, and all new water drainage will flow on top of the already frozen mess.... ain't seen anything like this in almost 40 years... gonna be interesting. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :stirpot: :banghead: :banghead:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »
It's sposed to get up to 40f or so around here tomorrow, with a 90% chance of a rain snow ice event happening all day (we have around 2' of snow on the ground now). Then the temps are going to drop out and fall to near zero overnight. Oh boy, it's gonna be fun. NOT!   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:08 AM »
The last piles of dirty snow should melt today.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:07 PM »
It's sposed to get up to 40f or so around here tomorrow, with a 90% chance of a rain snow ice event happening all day (we have around 2' of snow on the ground now). Then the temps are going to drop out and fall to near zero overnight. Oh boy, it's gonna be fun. NOT!   :o

same here... if the temps hit their mark, it will be the first time in 19 days we go above freezing

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
same here... if the temps hit their mark, it will be the first time in 19 days we go above freezing

Radio station said this was first February since they have records that it never got above freezing in this part of Mn.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
Yesterday, it went into the low 40's F, and a lot of the snow started to melt.

Snow will be the least of your worries pretty soon buddy... :o

Providence will be just like New Orleans with regards to sea levels, and you sir will be shovelling water...LOL.

Have you seen this recent study? The ocean has risen between 4"-5", but only in the northeast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/sea-level-rise-northeast_n_6751570.html

How does the ocean level only rise in the northeast? That's a good question, and I'm going to run some tests at home tonight and see if I can fill one end of the bath tub to a higher level than the other. I'll let you know how it goes...LOL.
Don't worry though, I'm not a complete lunatic...I know the study suggests the rise in level is due to currents, and not an actual increase in the amount of water. I think.

The local news radio station interviewed one of the people involved in this study yesterday, a student at the university of Arizona. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:10 AM »
Hey, this is interesting...I just came across these two articles while Googling some other stuff...oddly, they were together, one on top of the other.

2013: Scientists are concerned because they don't see ice on the Great Lakes much anymore.

http://www.thenews-messenger.com/article/20130307/NEWS01/303070021?gcheck=1

2015: The Great Lakes are 84% covered in ice.

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/02/23/collectively-the-five-lakes-are-84-ice-covered--impeding-icebreakers-trying-to-keep-open-what-limited-shipping-is-still-taking-place

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »
Snow will be the least of your worries pretty soon buddy... :o

Providence will be just like New Orleans with regards to sea levels, and you sir will be shovelling water...LOL.

Have you seen this recent study? The ocean has risen between 4"-5", but only in the northeast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/sea-level-rise-northeast_n_6751570.html

How does the ocean level only rise in the northeast? That's a good question, and I'm going to run some tests at home tonight and see if I can fill one end of the bath tub to a higher level than the other. I'll let you know how it goes...LOL.
Don't worry though, I'm not a complete lunatic...I know the study suggests the rise in level is due to currents, and not an actual increase in the amount of water. I think.

The local news radio station interviewed one of the people involved in this study yesterday, a student at the university of Arizona. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

Rem

Mainly due to the spin of the Earth and the equatorial directors...it's common knowledge.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
I'm not one to laugh at any ones religion ( actually I am) but these global warming climate change (are we supposed to change terminology when we change the clocks?) fanatics are over their heads in the rising tide.  :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
That's right, you're laughing now but in a hundred years or so when you are under water, who'll be laughing then?  ::) ;) ;D :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:18 PM »
Once upon a time about where I live was once the Gulf of Mexico. And once upon another time about where I live was the southern edge of the last ice age glacier.  Does this make me a true believer in climate change?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
It changed, didn't it?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »
It is snowing here.... again. Because that is what it does lately. It snows.

That's OK, I tweaked the skids and the belts on the snow blower tonight and took a test- blow (Easy Boys!) in some hard packed snow that was over the top of the blower housing at 21". All is well and it is a snow throwing weapon so I dare you..... I double- dare you snow, do your worst!  Big Red awaits..... :-)

Winter came early and has not left yet. Still, I am a Yankee, born and bred, and I like the winter season. This one is a bit more stringent than most but that is just an enjoyable change of pace.

My wife could not get up the driveway tonight due to the 1" of fresh snow over the ice packed on the driveway. No matter, I got her car in the garage and am ready to do battle with the ice cap with mid- 40F temps tomorrow and a good coating of wood ash on the snow. Take that mother nature....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2015, 04:38:12 AM »
Supposed to snow here tomorrow....again.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2015, 04:40:21 AM »
It is snowing here.... again. Because that is what it does lately. It snows.

Yeah, that's what it does here too...lol.
The general population is outraged, and they're threatening to march on City Hall if they don't somehow make the snow stop...
Somehow...LOL.

In defence of the unwashed masses...there have been some pretty steep cut-backs in snow removal budgets in recent years. After all, it was only a couple years ago we thought winter had become just a minor inconvenience for a few weeks in February...the kind of snow you could simply sweep off your step, ya know?...lol. But this year...it's been snowing for a month straight...and it's making people go crazy...LOL.

Here's a pic below of the road I live on a few hundred feet from my house (on the way to work this morning). Another 4" of snow last night and into this morning. And there's about 10" of ice on the road under all that snow.

So, about 15 degrees F last night and this morning, and then 40 degrees and rain this afternoon, then back down below freezing again after that. Is it any wonder people are gettin' weird in the head?...LOL. Motorcycle season sure looks like it's a long ways off.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
Here in Seattle, it has been unusually warm and dry this winter. All of the local ski areas are closed, due to lack of snow. The last week it has been sunny and in the mid-50's. The Cherry trees are starting to blossom, and Daffodils are coming up.

Of course that means there will be a severe water shortage this summer, since our water comes from snowmelt. No snow, no water. The last time we had a winter like this, there was serious talk of water rationing.

I was just up in Alaska, and they are having the same kind of winter, warm (by Alaska standards), and no snow.

Sorry that so many of the rest of you are really getting clobbered this winter!

Not to rub it in, but I have Friday off, and will probably go for a ride on my C14!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
Not to rub it in, but I have Friday off, and will probably go for a ride on my C14!
:thumbdown...Not really. Be safe.
Forecast -12 here tonight.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
And as usual, 'your' cold front is moving east and will be here (the east coast) tomorrow night. Not as cold as where you are but still pretty 'snappy' at a predicted 5F..... at the end of the first week of March.

Brian

:thumbdown...Not really. Be safe.
Forecast -12 here tonight.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com