Author Topic: lightly grease stick coils for insertion?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
lightly grease stick coils for insertion?
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »
can this be done?  can i use Lithium grease or does it have to be dialetric grease?  whats the difference?
Will

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: lightly grease stick coils for insertion?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
Yes.... Even a tiny smear of Vaseline on the ID of the rubber will help with keeping them from getting stuck to the plug.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
I'm glad T got to you quickly cause this could go so wrong. ;D

Offline roadie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
I know right!  Last time I took them out I had such a bear getting back in. I put a very small dab of lithium grease on shaft and slid um back in.
Will

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
And you got know complaints using garage grease instead of something more hygenic?

Offline roadie

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
And you got know complaints using garage grease instead of something more hygenic?

Haha figured somebody would go there.
Will

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »
 :o :-X

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
Ah....all is right with the world... :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
Yeah, lightly grease them before insertion <chuckle>.

It is a good idea though. All grease is dielectric unless it contains something that conducts electricity. In fact, all pure petroleum products are excellent dielectrics unless they contain some other, conducting compounds. Silicone grease is usually used on electrical components but I often use a light coating of wheel bearing grease or chassis grease as long as it is light in color (so it does NOT contain any graphite or moly lube, etc.). Brake grease (caliper grease) is also fine for electrical use.

There is often a nearly perfect product for every job but if you had them all at hand, the garage would be full of lubricants, solvents, cleaners, etc. It is usually easier to find something that will work for a large range of jobs even if that job is not mentioned directly on the label.

Brian

can this be done?  can i use Lithium grease or does it have to be dialetric grease?  whats the difference?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roadie

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Copy, thx.
Will

Offline texrider

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
Be aware that petroleum lubricants will attack certain grades of rubber and latex.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
Yep, that is true and it is why you should never use petroleum jelly ("Vaseline") on a.... never mind.

Still, other than internal brake seals, it is unlikely that any vehicle manufacturer would use rubber components anywhere near an engine and / or drive train that are not greatly resistant to petroleum products that they would be likely to come into contact with. The rubber seal on a stick coil, or any other component attached to an engine, is almost certainly greatly resistant to petroleum based lubricants.

Brian

Be aware that petroleum lubricants will attack certain grades of rubber and latex.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com