Author Topic: Strange Increase in Heat  (Read 7781 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Strange Increase in Heat
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Still have it.  I took it for a ride just a few minutes ago.  The air temp was approximately 82.  Not cool, but not really all that hot.  The bike is definitely throwing more heat than before the service.  It's not just my imagination.  I see the rubber gasket type material that goes around the back part of the engine, and that appears to be in place.  I don't know what other types of heat shields are inside the fairing on a '10.  The heat seems to be coming up from far down or even underneath, and then coming up, almost following the front contour of my leg.  My ankles and lower legs get the hottest, but I can still feel heat as it travels up my upper thigh.

I don't feel any heat coming up between the seat and the tank, though.  Guess I'm going to contact the dealer, but they probably won't be much help and just tell me that this is normal.  And I would believe that if the same heat was there before the service, but it wasn't.

Royal

There are 2 heat blocking panels on the right side, and I think at least 2 on the left side.  The front heat blocker panel can be seen through the vents if you know what you're looking for.  The rear ones are completely hidden.

It would probably require removing the upper fairings to see them, and make sure they are positioned correctly.  You should still get the dealer to fix it.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
During my recent maintenance on my 08 with 56,000 miles I noticed that the two upper foam heat shields were deteriorated. The foam was brittle and crumbly. If I rubbed the foam material would slough off and there was already some material missing where the foam pressed against the plastic. The foam may even have become less dense and more porous. I think that this may be a big contributor to my perceived heat increase this summer. So I ordered replacements and installed. I have not yet ridden in extended heat to test the results.  I noticed that the replacement shields seem to be made from a different foam. At least the color is slightly different.

That's disturbing.  They used a foam material that doesn't last more than 3 years??  WTH?!?   :o
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
That's disturbing.  They used a foam material that doesn't last more than 3 years??  WTH?!?   :o
Yeah, kinda funny. The heat shields can't take the heat. The part numbers have been "superceded". Maybe they are better on the later models
Note:
There are three (maybe more?) sets of foam heat shields ( kawasaki calls them "PAD,HEAT GUARD")
The set I replaced are the ones in the mid cowling that get the direct blast from the radiator. 39156M&? The other two sets are ok (other than the one a mouse chewed on)
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »
Yeah, kinda funny. The heat shields can't take the heat. The part numbers have been "superceded". Maybe they are better on the later models
Note:
There are three (maybe more?) sets of foam heat shields ( kawasaki calls them "PAD,HEAT GUARD")
The set I replaced are the ones in the mid cowling that get the direct blast from the radiator. 39156M&? The other two sets are ok (other than the one a mouse chewed on)

Stupid mice, they have no respect!  Guess we can add that to the list of things Kawi didn't plan for when they designed the C14, rodent proof heat insulation.  :rotflmao:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »
Stupid mice, they have no respect!  Guess we can add that to the list of things Kawi didn't plan for when they designed the C14, rodent proof heat insulation.  :rotflmao:
At least the airbox is rodent free, apparently due to the intake being routed through the hard to reach ram air ducts. I have had to cover the air intakes on my other bikes with hardware cloth after I found their airnoxes full of hickory nuts and shells. It may have been mice that chewed the foam but I can't see a mouse hauling all those hickory nuts. :o
Kirby?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »
Not so fast, mister. I have an '08 and tried a '10 and '11, and they didn't mean any improvement to me. No heat wise. No mirror improvement. Nothing. Only difference was the shield (I run a Givi anyway) and the traction control, which is built-in in my wright hand, thank you very much.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  I've ridden both and there is a huge difference. 
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
At least the airbox is rodent free, apparently due to the intake being routed through the hard to reach ram air ducts. I have had to cover the air intakes on my other bikes with hardware cloth after I found their airnoxes full of hickory nuts and shells. It may have been mice that chewed the foam but I can't see a mouse hauling all those hickory nuts. :o
Kirby?

Those Ram Air ducts have a wire mesh grill on them.  I always thought it was to Julienify the bugs and birds that tried to get sucked in, but maybe it was really just a mouse (or Kirby) barrier?   ;D