Author Topic: Strange Increase in Heat  (Read 7785 times)

Offline royal

Strange Increase in Heat
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »

I had mentioned in a previous post that when I got my 2010 back from it's 7500 mile service, the bike ran much smoother, with much less vibration.  I had them re torque the header bolts and engine mounts.  They also re synch'd the throttle bodies.  All of that was good.  However, now that I have had the chance to put some miles on since the service, I have noticed an increase of heat on my knees and inner thighs.  Not dramatic, but just slightly more heat than was there before. 

So, my question is, is there any heat shielding material on a 2010 that could have not been replaced, or misplaced when they put the fairing back on ?  Any ideas on why there would be an increase of heat output ?  I don't notice the bars on the dash being any different than before the service.  It still usually stays at two bars showing.  More curious than anything...

Royal
The Road Goes On Forever....

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Strange Increase in Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
It's summer, just ride the D@#$ thing, Good Grief.
:banghead:

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »
 ;D

Man, there is nothing wrong with your bike.  'Just ride the D@#n thing".  Have fun.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:37:54 PM »
If there is a noticable difference, take it back to the dealer. These guys who ride the pre-2010s, don't have a clue what you are talking about. I rode a friends 09 and had to pull int a parking lot to see what was so hot. he told me the same thing as those who have posted above. My 2011 does not produce anywhere near as much heat on my legs that 09 did.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »
If there is a noticable difference, take it back to the dealer. These guys who ride the pre-2010s, don't have a clue what you are talking about. I rode a friends 09 and had to pull int a parking lot to see what was so hot. he told me the same thing as those who have posted above. My 2011 does not produce anywhere near as much heat on my legs that 09 did.

I'm curious about this original question too.  Although I've not had the bike dealer serviced recently, I have noticed that my 10 gets uncomfortable hot around the inner thigh and crotch area as well.  Granted, it's been 90-100+ degrees and I'm wearing appropriate (mesh) riding pants, but it seems like things are way warmer than is comfortable.  After my most recent ride I measured 130F (with a digital non-contact thermometer) at the the forward edge of the seat where it is closest to the gas tank.  I measured various other places (knee contact points, higher up on the tank, further back on the seat, etc) and saw readings that were lower further away from the tank-forward edge of the seat location.  The bottom of the seat pan (seat removed) was pretty warm as well.  I seriously thought about locating some type of thin reflective insulation sheeting and applying it to the botttom of the seat pan. 

I don't recall this heat issue previously, but as some have suggested- it is HOT out.   
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Makz58

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
There could be a piece of heat shielding that got out of place also some with aftermarket seats have noted new heat issues. I have zero heat issues on my 10.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline royal

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:38:10 AM »

Makz58,

That is exactly my point and original question.  Is there heat shielding material that could have been displaced or installed incorrectly when the fairing was put back on ?  I have never seen my bike with the fairing off, so I don't know if there is any heat shield material or not. 

I did not say that the problem is serious or that it will cause me not to ride, but I am curious as to why it is different.  Telling me to just ride the damn thing is a pretty useless response.  I'm a member of this site to learn about this bike and use the forums for the wisdom of the collective.  My question of why there would be a noticeable increase in heat after a service is a valid one. 

Royal

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »
What is a "7500 mile service"???
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
My bike feels warmer when the tank is near empty. Filling it with cool fuel helps alot. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
There are several heat panels / barriers behind the fairings on the 2010, and there could be several issues with incorrect installation or flat out missing. If anything is incorrect, the result will be increased heat on the rider.  There are also rubber gaskets or seals between the fairing and the engine closest to the rider that are a PIA to get back into place correctly.

You should probably talk to the dealer that did the work, and be very clear with them that it is real, and not just your imagination (if that is the case).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:58:04 PM »
There are several heat panels / barriers behind the fairings on the 2010, and there could be several issues with incorrect installation or flat out missing. If anything is incorrect, the result will be increased heat on the rider.  There are also rubber gaskets or seals between the fairing and the engine closest to the rider that are a PIA to get back into place correctly.

You should probably talk to the dealer that did the work, and be very clear with them that it is real, and not just your imagination (if that is the case).
I agree with this post. Although get ready for another blast of hot air, this time from the talking heads at the dealer. I talked with many of them--service, sales, owners, about the excessive heat problem before and after I purchased my 2008. They seem MUCH better at talking about why it's not THAT hot, than taking off the plastic and checking the foam undergarments that block the heat from the nuclear reactor.
2008 C-14

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
I set up my Andriod in my 08 "glovebox" for some tunes...and when I got to Lowes the phone was telling that it was too HOT and If I didn't help it it was gonna shut down......who knew,ya its Ohio hot and that motor is way hot-don't care.

Mike ( better heat management wouldn't make me mad though)
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:40 AM »

Not so fast, mister. I have an '08 and tried a '10 and '11, and they didn't mean any improvement to me. No heat wise. No mirror improvement. Nothing. Only difference was the shield (I run a Givi anyway) and the traction control, which is built-in in my wright hand, thank you very much.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
My '10 has been down getting a Rostra CC & Stebel horn installed for several weeks so I haven't ridden it in the heat much this year.
This morning on the way to work was the first time I've ridden any distance.
The temperature was 81 degrees and the heat was pouring out of the fairing junction between the gas tank.
It has never done this before, so I suspect there is something I did during the fairing install.
So looks like I'm gonna have to pull the plastic off and see if I can spot any reason for the increase in heat.

I've had the plastic off several times and never had any heat problems after reinstall,
so I have a strong suspicion that either some of the heat barrier is misaligned or where I ran wire under
the barrier has opened it up enough to let heat through.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
I swapped rides with my buddy this weekend and his C10 was hotter than my 09.
he even noticed the difference.

I dont think my 09 is any warmer than my 2002 750 Nighthawk ... /shrug
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
Last night I decided to take a serious look at the correct placement and installation of the heat shields and gaskets on my 2010 because the heat in the seat area was just out of control and I am leaving on Sunday for an extended trip on the bike.  I've had various pieces of the tupperwear off at one time or another, with the most recent being when I installed the MC Enterprises "handicap bathroom" bars.  While I did all the work myself and took my time in doing it, apparently I didn't get the heat shield properly seated on the inside of the fairing.  If you look toward the back of the engine through the side of the fairing you will see a black/grey rubber piece that seals off air passage.  The rubber piece fits snugly up against the side of the engine, and uses a 'tongue and groove' interface between the rubber and the fairing.  On both sides, the groove of the rubber piece wasn't propery seated on the plastic of the fairing which created a sizable gap.  It was a big PITA to get both sides properly installed, but I got it.  I took the bike for a 60 mile ride with a couple of deliberate pull off the road stops and a lot of low speed riding where I knew it would be generating maximum heat.  I even had waited until the gas tank was pretty empty as an empty tank seemed to make the heat problem worse.   I am very happy to report that the heat problem is FIXED.  I realize that the air temp was probably 20 degrees lower than it's been, but there is no question that the plastic AND the seat area is now back to where it should be- NOT HOT.  So, if you are experiencing a strange increase in heat (assuming the bike isn't overheating of course) check those heat blocking rubber pieces.  Obviously, they work.  I'll get another couple hundred miles on it before I leave for the bike trip and if the heat situation changes I'll let you know. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Rawman

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
Having an '09 (pre-heat "fix") I think that was the majority of the heat issues, just misplaced heat shields.  I rode for 2 years in Atlanta summers and stop and go traffic, no heat issues other than just the weather and traffic heat.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
Last night I decided to take a serious look at the correct placement and installation of the heat shields and gaskets on my 2010 because the heat in the seat area was just out of control and I am leaving on Sunday for an extended trip on the bike.  I've had various pieces of the tupperwear off at one time or another, with the most recent being when I installed the MC Enterprises "handicap bathroom" bars.  While I did all the work myself and took my time in doing it, apparently I didn't get the heat shield properly seated on the inside of the fairing.  If you look toward the back of the engine through the side of the fairing you will see a black/grey rubber piece that seals off air passage.  The rubber piece fits snugly up against the side of the engine, and uses a 'tongue and groove' interface between the rubber and the fairing.  On both sides, the groove of the rubber piece wasn't propery seated on the plastic of the fairing which created a sizable gap.  It was a big PITA to get both sides properly installed, but I got it.  I took the bike for a 60 mile ride with a couple of deliberate pull off the road stops and a lot of low speed riding where I knew it would be generating maximum heat.  I even had waited until the gas tank was pretty empty as an empty tank seemed to make the heat problem worse.   I am very happy to report that the heat problem is FIXED.  I realize that the air temp was probably 20 degrees lower than it's been, but there is no question that the plastic AND the seat area is now back to where it should be- NOT HOT.  So, if you are experiencing a strange increase in heat (assuming the bike isn't overheating of course) check those heat blocking rubber pieces.  Obviously, they work.  I'll get another couple hundred miles on it before I leave for the bike trip and if the heat situation changes I'll let you know.

Glad to hear you fixed yours.  We never did hear back from royal about his.

Maybe I should remove those bits for today, since it's only supposed to reach 79F in town, and I'm heading towards the mountains.   ::)

I really need to get my vents installed.   :P
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline royal

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »

Still have it.  I took it for a ride just a few minutes ago.  The air temp was approximately 82.  Not cool, but not really all that hot.  The bike is definitely throwing more heat than before the service.  It's not just my imagination.  I see the rubber gasket type material that goes around the back part of the engine, and that appears to be in place.  I don't know what other types of heat shields are inside the fairing on a '10.  The heat seems to be coming up from far down or even underneath, and then coming up, almost following the front contour of my leg.  My ankles and lower legs get the hottest, but I can still feel heat as it travels up my upper thigh.

I don't feel any heat coming up between the seat and the tank, though.  Guess I'm going to contact the dealer, but they probably won't be much help and just tell me that this is normal.  And I would believe that if the same heat was there before the service, but it wasn't.

Royal

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
During my recent maintenance on my 08 with 56,000 miles I noticed that the two upper foam heat shields were deteriorated. The foam was brittle and crumbly. If I rubbed the foam material would slough off and there was already some material missing where the foam pressed against the plastic. The foam may even have become less dense and more porous. I think that this may be a big contributor to my perceived heat increase this summer. So I ordered replacements and installed. I have not yet ridden in extended heat to test the results.  I noticed that the replacement shields seem to be made from a different foam. At least the color is slightly different.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.