Author Topic: Phil' wedges bolt length ?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline PH14

Phil' wedges bolt length ?
« on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
I'm using the wedges only with the bolts suppled by Muph and am wondering if I can take the wedges out and use these bolts since I didn't bring the original bolts on this trip. I am not using risers. Will the bolts be too long to use with the sock bars and no risers? To clarify, I am currently using the wedges without risers and want to remove the wdges and use the bolts Murph supplied without the wedges.

Thanks

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Phil' wedges bolt length ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
The holes in the top-clamp are threaded through, so being longer than stock is OK. After you torque them just check that they don't contact anything under the bottom of the top-clamp.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
 Thanks for the quick reply Philip! I truly appreciate it. I knew it was theaded all the way through but was unsure about the length. Since you've done plenty of work in this particular area, I feel better about giving it a try without wasting the effort. Thanks once again!  :)

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
Okay, it was a turnpkike plaza job but it worked. It was a bit tough with just and allen wrench but I got it. I used and extender on the end for more toque to break the free. Nothing hits so I'm back on the road. 100 miles down, 660 to go. Thanks Philip.

Offline Murph

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »

We supply 35mm long bolts when no risers are used

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
Thanks Murph. I was on the road beginning a cross country trip and found I didn't like the wedges. I had forgotten to bring the stock bolts and was concerned about using the ones you supplied without the wedges. I was able to use the 35mm blots you supplied without the wedges with no problems.

Thanks.