Author Topic: Dunlop Roadsmart 3  (Read 18963 times)

sailor_chic

Re: Dunlop Roadsmart 3
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
I think people put more effort into changing the tires than thought. It is more about techniques than machine, tire, or braun. I can and do change my own tires on a "inferior" HF tire machine alone, and I do it without breaking a nail, or even chipping my nail polish.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 06:29:34 AM »
I think people put more effort into changing the tires than thought. It is more about techniques than machine, tire, or braun. I can and do change my own tires on a "inferior" HF tire machine alone, and I do it without breaking a nail, or even chipping my nail polish.

One must be smarter than the tire they are trying to mount. You obviously are. Others obviously are not.

And the comment concerning technique can certainly be applied to se veral other aspects of life I can think of. Just sayin'.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »

Too bad you don't live closer.   I tried it once and for $20 it isn't worth the aggravation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
One must be smarter than the tire they are trying to mount. You obviously are. Others obviously are not.

I too have not had trouble using the HF changer (MoJo adapted) with the GT tires. Yet there are some who have much more experience and knowledge with bikes than I, that are having problems. I've been trying to determine why that is, and I can only agree that it's "technique" and that a simple change for them would give them an "aha!" moment. I'll try to show how my "aha!" came about and maybe it will help. Hopefully it won't muddy the waters.

(sort of a disclaimer section here)
First, the tire bead closest to me is always down in the center of the wheel and I usually have a piece of wood on top of the tire and below the rim to help keep it there. Some are just able to push down on that portion of the tire with their hand to avoid using the wood. (If I were taller, or if the HF changer were shorter, I could probably do that as well and avoid using the wood.) This has been posted and repeated by many so I'm sure that those having trouble already know to do this, but I had to add that here. I also use RuGLYDE in a spray bottle. I have not yet had to heat or set the tires in the sun to soften them up, but I'm in Texas so I haven't changed them yet when my garage was below 55 degrees. I'll also add (I know you already know this) to put a ratchet strap around a wheel spoke and the changer so the wheel doesn't spin in the MoJo blocks as you apply torque to it. My description below refers to the mounting of the second bead of the tire as I'm assuming that nobody is having trouble getting the first bead on (?). (end of sort of a disclaimer section)

In the diagram below I originally assumed that the end of the MoJo lever went at point W (W for Wrong) and was supposed to clip under the rim and force the tire bead down as I moved my end of the bar to the left against the center rod thus moving the clip end to the right. The rim lip, or clip as I call it, of the lever would slip out and I would have to keep moving my end of the Mojo lever higher and higher to keep it in place. I finally got the rear tire (PR3 IIRC) on using that technique but I was already sore when I started to work on the the front tire which I thought would be easier. Wrong, it seemed I might pull the changer out of the floor. I had the bar high at my end and had both arms on the lever trying to move it to the left and there were muscles and tendons screaming at me, my brain was also pretty insistent that if something broke or slipped I was going to go flying and be seriously injured. That front tire just would not go on. With my sweat dripping on the garage floor, I went  inside frustrated and exhausted to cool off in the AC. With a glass of lemonade and a couple of Ibuprofen, sat down and watched some tire changing videos on YouTube. One of the videos had a link to this pdf of Preston Drake's instructions so I reread them and then my "aha!" moment occurred when I got to page 6, last sentence of instruction 6, and saw the top photo on the page. (I'll insert my own RTFM right here to save others the trouble) I went back out to the garage and moved the lever end to the correct position (marked as C in the crude sketch below) and the tire slipped right on. I had a firm grasp of the lever but I think I could have done it with a couple of fingers. I stood there in disbelief and in awe of my earlier idiocy. The purpose of the tip of the MoJo lever is not to force the tire bead down, but rather force it out just past the edge of the rim so it can drop down below the rim on it's own as the tip of the bar is moved out of the way. Once I understood that, it all flowed "like Buttah".  I have not had any trouble mounting any tire including PR4 GTs since that day. I still don't know how I mounted the rear PR3 that day using the wrong technique. I doubt I could do it again.

I hope this helped someone. If not then all I can say is, if you already know all about it and are still having problems, then go back and RTFM until you do actually know all about it.
Just don't tell anybody all about it, like I just did.  :-[

Returning to the original topic  :yikes:, anyway that is how I'm going to mount my Dunlop RoadSmart 3s if they ever come to this country and aren't costlier than PR4GTs.  :)

(edit: Just one more thing, lemonade and Ibuprofin are not a good combination, especially on an empty stomach. But then you knew that. )

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
One must be smarter than the tire they are trying to mount.

Hmm, we could make a game show out of that.  "Are you smarter than a fifth-grader tire?"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 04:24:25 PM »
Where do you come up with this, speculation? I change my tires myself in my garage, and I think it was pretty darn easy.

Brick of a tire, more speculation on your part.! I am on my 3 set of PR4GT and I find them to be an amazing tire. Go ahead and load up you bike with your wife on a different tire. But then again, you probably only ride up to the supermarket for a gallon of milk, and dont use the bike as it is designed for... A mile eating machine!!
I consider myself a valuable asset and will do my best to put the best rubber underneath myself to help any chances of failure.

shhsssshhhh nichole... you have actually worn out some tires on this bike, we know what you are saying....
the person you were engaging.... (I must be nice.....) is still "expurting you, trying to school ya so to speak....)

we know better. 8)

don't feed the fire girl. you got the creds, so let the sleeping dawg lay....

(my personal opinion is if you damaged the wheel, you have no clues as to how to change a tire... period....pay someone.)
to the person that dissd ya....
all I can say is...
don't tell us how the tire causes you to damage a wheel... that's ludicrous.

put some serious miles on the bike, and stop the condescending expurt tude... until you have done so.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

sailor_chic

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
Rich, you are right and I know better.  But every once in a while though, one just gets a thorn under the fingernail and  has to speak out. I suppose this was one of the times.
I really do prefer when facts are stated and speculation is kept for the stock market.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 05:16:46 PM »
only speculation I do anymore is whether to zip my Stch up, or lave it pen, and do I pass this gas stop to get to the next one 20 miles before I figure I'll run out...... luckily I ain't run out of gas, but have driven thru a tornado, with my stich unzipped...nand flapping..m mmmmmmm hmmmmm..
and stopped for fuel, where some guy drove up and said "you are one caraaaazy mutha farker...I followed you for 12 miles... man, you got ballz..."

I looked at him and replied yaeh, maybe I do, I think I can taste them right now...

we got back on the road, I had momma with me, and we were pulling the h/f trailer.. drove anther 80 miles before we pulled off and said.... enough.
we were in marietta ohio finally, and watching the news while hanging crap up to dry, they showed 4 families had died in a flash flood, at the exit we stopped on the freeway, because we couldn't see the exit ramp....and endured 80 mph side winds... mother nature loves me. she has to. its a simple fact.
there is no such thing as luck..
KARMA.

ride on, good job.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

elp_jc

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2016, 12:29:25 AM »
I really do prefer when facts are stated and speculation is kept for the stock market.
You again? Nothing better to do, I guess. Being able to do something others can't has nothing to do with 'facts'. Fact is a local shop (make it THREE) refusing to cover wheel damage with those harder (sidewall) tires because they're more difficult to mount/dismount without touching the wheels. Had enough of your crap, so ignored from now on. Have a good one.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2016, 01:17:19 AM »
Man!!! This is getting interesting...... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2016, 04:01:43 AM »
Sigh.....do we really have to escalate this to management?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2016, 05:41:01 AM »
Awww, I'm on the ignore list. My feeling is hurt now. Poor guy can't find a shop that will do work for him. 

Elp_jc...  I'll make you a deal.  Let's take a poll on the forum here and see who the other members would prefer to go away, you or I. If it's me,  all accept and go away, but you need to do the same. Agreed?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2016, 05:46:58 AM »
Nicole should sell DVD's covering the proper way to change a tire without chipping your nail polish.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

sailor_chic

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »
Bill, I'm taking advanced orders now :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2016, 08:35:12 AM »
Back to Dunlops..    I don't think I've ever locked a tire thread before.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »
Nicole should sell DVD's covering the proper way to change a tire without chipping your nail polish.

If I can change a GT tire on my HF next time as easily as she says I can, I will START wearing nail polish just to accomplish it.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

sailor_chic

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
I think it's a bigger pain in the butt trying to balance them.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
I think it's a bigger pain in the butt trying to balance them.

That's just a patience thing. I've got all day and no life, so no biggie here. Plus, a Marc Parnes balancer is great. This latest set of Bridgestone T30 GTs I (ahem) had to get mounted at the tire shop- the guy mounted the rear with the yellow dot 90degrees from the stem. The front balanced with one 1/4oz weight in no time. The rear wouldn't balance no matter what I did- I had weights all over that rim just to see if I could do it. Made him rotate the tire to the right spot, then it balanced with a half ounce.

Next time, I will be more patient with my HF and DIY, but I had a trip the next day and got caught out.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »
Back to Dunlops..    I don't think I've ever locked a tire thread before.

Okay. Looking at the tread design of the new Dunlops, it is eerily similar to the Bridgestone T30.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Let me know how it goes with the HF. I have one but have yet to use it. Have a pair of Angle Gt's ready when needed. I still have the HF bar. Have you upgraded to the no-mar or some such wizardry?
Wayne

That's just a patience thing. I've got all day and no life, so no biggie here. Plus, a Marc Parnes balancer is great. This latest set of Bridgestone T30 GTs I (ahem) had to get mounted at the tire shop- the guy mounted the rear with the yellow dot 90degrees from the stem. The front balanced with one 1/4oz weight in no time. The rear wouldn't balance no matter what I did- I had weights all over that rim just to see if I could do it. Made him rotate the tire to the right spot, then it balanced with a half ounce.

Next time, I will be more patient with my HF and DIY, but I had a trip the next day and got caught out.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1