Author Topic: Dunlop Roadsmart 3  (Read 18965 times)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Re: Dunlop Roadsmart 3
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
Just remember it is now "PR4" AND "PR4-GT".  Two different tires but in the same family.  The GT variant has stronger sidewalls and higher load capacity, and it is what is "recommended" for our model (although both will certainly work).

Why do you say the GT has a higher load capacity when the literature states they both have the same Load Index?   73 for the 190/50, and 75 for the 190/55.

Offline BrianK

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
Just remember it is now "PR4" AND "PR4-GT".  Two different tires but in the same family.  The GT variant has stronger sidewalls and higher load capacity, and it is what is "recommended" for our model (although both will certainly work).
Didn't know that thanks for the heads up. I am going to check to see which ones I'm running currently, I'm super happy with them and that is rare for me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
Why do you say the GT has a higher load capacity when the literature states they both have the same Load Index?   73 for the 190/50, and 75 for the 190/55.

Hmm, I think I am remembering incorrectly, then.  (Plus there are three versions- PR4, PR4-GT, and PR4-Trail).  Regardless of the load rating, the reason for the stiffer sidewalls is all about weight.

"The Pilot Road 4 GT tires are for heavier, touring bikes and has a stiffer casing with a patented new technology for motorcycle tires that delivers the stability you need for heavier GT-class bikes while riding solo, two-up or with luggage, and the comfort you desire. The Pilot Road 4 GT tires are already the OEM choice for the new BMW R1200RT."

The Concours 1400 (670lb wet with bags) is a lot heavier than the R1200RT (570lb wet but WITHOUT bags).  Based on previous reviews and threads, I am positive the non-GT will work on the Concours, but the GT was specifically designed for heavier bikes like ours.  To me, the choice is clear.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:35 AM »
And to me as well..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
 I bought my bike with the normal PR4's about 3 months ago, and there has not been any problems with them. I've done about 3500 miles with them, and they still seem good. Pointless spending R 3200.00 (About $210) on replacing tyres that are brand new, just because it is not the GT version.

Come October, I'll be replacing them with PR4 GT's. I intend on doing a lot of riding the next 5x months... ;) ;D The current fitted tyres should be tired by then...

Previous bikes I had ran as follows:

BMW K1200GT - PR4 GT's
KAW ZX14       - PR4 - Normal
KAW ZX12       - PR3 - Normal

It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 03:32:25 PM »
I bought my bike with the normal PR4's about 3 months ago, and there has not been any problems with them. I've done about 3500 miles with them, and they still seem good. Pointless spending R 3200.00 (About $210) on replacing tyres that are brand new, just because it is not the GT version.

Come October, I'll be replacing them with PR4 GT's. I intend on doing a lot of riding the next 5x months... ;) ;D The current fitted tyres should be tired by then...

Cool, you will be able to offer a good comparison of the two on our bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
Cool, you will be able to offer a good comparison of the two on our bike.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
The later addition to the Roadsmart Range

I have just read a report in Motorcycle Sport & Leisure and  it seems that the Dunlop RS3 could well be the tyre of choice over Angel Gts and PR4s, improved longevity better grip in both wet and dry   

Is anyone using them on their GTR/Connie yet ?
I guess it's all academic until they start to offer them here in the U.S. (I can't find any online.)

Awaiting comparison reports here for mileage (I'll convert the Kilometers to miles if need be) and traction wet and dry from our GTR friends across the pond.

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »
I guess it's all academic until they start to offer them here in the U.S. (I can't find any online.)

Awaiting comparison reports here for mileage (I'll convert the Kilometers to miles if need be) and traction wet and dry from our GTR friends across the pond.

That might take a while though. Kwakrider and I both believe in, and will only use PR's. I'll be able to give you a review in a few months time on the differences between the PR4 and the PR4GT on the same bike.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 05:36:31 AM »
As my brother Hooligan said, I've been using the PR3's for years, and now the PR4's. Great tires, they inspire confidence in the corners and give decent mileage even if you ride rather aggressively at times...used them on the ZX10R, ZZR, ZX12R and now the GTR. Finding a better wet weather tire will be extremely hard IMO. I haven't used the normal PR4 yet, I fitted the PR4-GT from the onset when they came out this side, so can't comment on the difference between the PR4/PR4-GT as yet. I have noticed that without a passenger, saddle bags and topbox, in other words without any load, the GT's gives a slightly harder ride over the bumpy stuff. It's minimal, but I can feel it, Ive had the GTR for years now, so I know the bike...loaded up the "harshness" is gone. Like I said, it really is minimal...just 2 clicks on the suspension settings sorts it out for solo riding! Next set will be the "normal" PR4's, will give feedback after I swop out the GT's. Safe riding all!!  :)

elp_jc

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
The GT was specifically designed for heavier bikes like ours.
You forgot to add: when ridden fully-loaded most of the time ;). So the choice is not that clear. He he. The GT is harder to install (wheel damage), rides harder, is more expensive, and offers no advantage if you mostly ride solo, like many of us. Plus the load rating of the regular PR4 is plenty even if you ride loaded. I'd only consider it if I rode a considerable amount of time with a passenger, and fast. But always solo, no need for a GT at all IMO, but to each his own. Remember both tire and bike manufacturer assume sport-touring bikes (especially the RT) always ride 2-up. By the way, my '14 RT came with regular tires, and nothing has changed.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »
Good points there.

The OEM tyres aren't nearly as good/ high specification as the replacements available in the marketplace    :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »
You forgot to add: when ridden fully-loaded most of the time ;).

I forgot no such thing.  In my example, the Concours, with 1 rider, weighs almost as much as the target bike with two riders.   I have never ridden in any other way than solo and that is the way it always will be for me. 

So the choice is not that clear.

It seems pretty clear to me, anyway.  But each person will have to decide for himself.

GT is harder to install (wheel damage),

My dealer didn't complain or cause any damage

rides harder,

I have not noticed it much harder than the OEM tire it replaced.

is more expensive, and offers no advantage if you mostly ride solo, like many of us.

It is slightly more expensive, yes.  And the advantage is that it should handle better and wear better, solo included.  So if the theory of its operation holds, the slightly higher expense will be way more than worth it.

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
So if the theory of its operation holds
The only theory here is if you're within the tire's load rating capacity, you're fine. And a solo rider even with luggage, is WELL WITHIN those limits, so no worries. By the way, the new RT is only around 70 lbs heavier than our bikes (616 vs 688), and NOBODY weighs that much. On the contrary: Have you seen the size of most touring riders/passengers? In fact, THAT is the whole reason of coming up with such tire: most touring folks EXCEEDED the GVWR of their bikes, and in order to sell more bikes, bike manufacturers needed such a tire to increase it. And that's exactly what happened. I used to own a 2014 RT, and coincidentally, it's exactly the same bike, but now magically has a cargo capacity of over 100 lbs more, all thanks to the beefier tire. Make your own conclusions ;). And finally, you don't want a brick of a tire if pushing the bike in the twisties, so for me, I wouldn't put a GT even if it lasted 10 times longer. I'm WELL WITHIN the load rating of my tires. In fact, even with my 125-lb wife (and my 165) and luggage, I'd be well within them. So I suggest folks who ride mostly solo and like to push their bikes, do a bit of homework and run some numbers, rather than just believing the marketing ;).

Basically the same crap with runflat tires. Most folks think they're safer, but they're ruined after 10 miles (even before on heavier cars), nobody patches them, and actually collapse from 25 to 50 miles (depending on car's weight). PLUS you need special equipment to remove them, not available in most towns. AND nobody carries them. So are they really safer than regular tires? Only if you work in the Bronx on the graveyard shift ::). But if you just listen to the marketing, you'd be in for a big surprise if travelling on an empty road (that's why I also always carry a flat repair kit in my cars, and fix a flat right away before tire is ruined, runflat or not). Always better to know all the facts, and then make a sound decision. There's no right and wrong; just what's the best compromise for YOU 8). Signing off this thread.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
By the way, the new RT is only around 70 lbs heavier than our bikes (616 vs 688),......
Huh?

Signing off this thread.

OK, bye now.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
finally, you don't want a brick of a tire if pushing the bike in the twisties, so for me, I wouldn't put a GT even if it lasted 10 times longer.

Unless my understanding is incorrect, the GT and non-GT PR4 have the same [dual] tread compounds and same stickiness, it is just the sidewall that is stronger in the GT... allowing it to better keep its shape in heavier conditions, providing correct tread wear and better handling.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to get straight and clear details about the tire models (I spent a few hours and didn't get what I wanted).

sailor_chic

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
The GT is harder to install (wheel damage)

Where do you come up with this, speculation? I change my tires myself in my garage, and I think it was pretty darn easy.

And finally, you don't want a brick of a tire if pushing the bike in the twisties, so for me, I wouldn't put a GT even if it lasted 10 times longer.

Brick of a tire, more speculation on your part.! I am on my 3 set of PR4GT and I find them to be an amazing tire. Go ahead and load up you bike with your wife on a different tire. But then again, you probably only ride up to the supermarket for a gallon of milk, and dont use the bike as it is designed for... A mile eating machine!!
I consider myself a valuable asset and will do my best to put the best rubber underneath myself to help any chances of failure.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 04:35:33 AM »
It was easy for me as well.  Remove wheel.  Take to tire guy.  Install wheel.  Best $20 I ever spent.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 12:08:33 AM »
It was easy for me as well.  Remove wheel.  Take to tire guy.  Install wheel.  Best $20 I ever spent.

Even easier for me..... Take the bike to tyre dealer. They strip off wheels, fit new tyres, balance and refit wheels for free if you buy from them.

And yes, the next set will be PR4GT's. I ride with the Mrs on the back, loaded panniers and top box to boot.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
I had a friend say he had run PR4's before and had changed them, he has a tire stand. Couldn't mount a Pirelli Angel GT A spec.  He is not terribly experienced.  He ended up taking it to the dealer.

My Multistrada friend has a tire stand, I will remove the wheels Thursday night and go there Friday night and mount Angel GTs, A spec on the rear.  We always do them together.   I will pay attention and ask him if they seem more difficult, he has changed a million tires, he used to be an HD mechanic and has changed many tires of his own and probably 20 or more with me.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F