Author Topic: My first real problem with my 2011....  (Read 5728 times)

Darknesses

My first real problem with my 2011....
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
....is that it is not deer proof.  I smoked a buck last night.  The ABS worked very well.  I was able to slow down a lot just before impact.  I hit the deer and then went over it.  There are cracks on most of the cowlings and the front fender was broken off. 

It will only cost me my deductible and one spent .45 round.  The deer didn't make it.  I was very impressed how well the bike took the hit and that I didn't lay it over. 

Bob

Re: My first real problem with my 2011....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Why didn't you have the inferred heads up display on? See what happens!

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I heard if you scram really loud in your helmet, sometime the deer will able to hear you from the echo, so the deer will be smart enough to walk away from your path of travel...

:o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »
Glad You are OK. Glad You rid the world of one more vermin. Deer are the most dangerous animal in North America, & the stupidest. Nice work with the .45. Too bad You couldn't have capped it before it got to the road. I hate em.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Glad you are ok and didn't lay it down.

I had to use abs once on my c14 and i'm freaking glad I got the abs.  the cars in front stopped suddenly (from 60) and as I was stopping hard, the tail was swinging left and right little bit and it nicely stopped.  kudos to guys who makes bikes/cars safer.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
kudos to guys who makes bikes/cars safer.

You're welcome. I am a Quality Manager for the Electronic Brake Systems division of a major global supplier of ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control, etc. to the automobile and motorcycle OEM's. Proud of the work we do, and love hearing stories like the OP where the ABS helped make a bad situation just a little better.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
Glad things went OK.....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
 :yikes:

Wow!, Glad to hear you survived that one ok...

Will there be any jerky for sale in the classifieds section anytime soon??

Offline Shoe

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
Did you get to keep any of the meat?
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
Did you get to keep any of the meat?

I bet it was tenderized......

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
Darkness,
Glad to hear you are OK. Any motorcycle/buck interface at speed is not good. Make sure the insurance covers the extra .45 round.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Darknesses

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
This happened at about 0130.  I went back to where it happened at about 0900 to find that some lucky passerby found themselves a dead buck. 

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:45 AM »
What kind of gear were you wearing? How did you do doing the accident?  I simply have decided to abstain from riding at night, here in Ohio the deer population is OUT of CONTROL.  I have lost several friends to deer / bike strikes. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:10:51 AM »
I simply have decided to abstain from riding at night, here in Ohio the deer population is OUT of CONTROL.  I have lost several friends to deer / bike strikes.

I am not sure if they work, but you might want to mount one of those ultrasonic things that warn deer away, on your bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »
Darkness, glad you're OK. Deer scar the Hell out of me. Even here in NJ they're out of control. the exit I get off on I-95 is a very blind tight 180 degree radius turn, and Deer live there. At least once a week I see Bambi grazing  on that exit. Once 3 of them ran across the ramp and I had to jam on the binders (looking behind me for traffic exiting with me). Made my heart skip 10 beats.
Anyway good job keeping the rubber side down and coming out of it OK.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
I am not sure if they work, but you might want to mount one of those ultrasonic things that warn deer away, on your bike.

Those things don't work. Been repeatedly proven to be a gimmick.

Deer are like rabbits; when startled, their first reaction is to freeze. That's why you can hunt rabbits easily.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
You must not have Hunted for deer or rabbits before, I've been hunting both for a lot of years and it's rare to see either animal freeze on you when frightened, 99% of the time their first reaction is to flee!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
You must not have Hunted for deer or rabbits before, I've been hunting both for a lot of years and it's rare to see either animal freeze on you when frightened, 99% of the time their first reaction is to flee!

So I must've imagined all those deer and rabbits I used to bring home? Thanks for clearing that up for me!

A rabbit freezes for a second before it takes off. Most deer too. That's when you take your shot. I've hunted rabbit with a bow at times. I've also hunted plenty of deer with both rifle and bow and usually get close enough for a clean shot. It's called "woodcraft" or stalking. You should try it sometime instead of blundering around in the woods and making as much racket as you can.

And if you're a poacher, you "shine" a deer at night to make them freeze.

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »
I see your an expert in everything here, and no I don't blunder around making a bunch of noise in the woods, I've been hunting for 30+ years now with all methods and fill my freezer every year and no I don't poach and dispise people who do! Oh yea I'm quite familar with woodcraft and take offense at your suggestion that you assume to know how I hunt! :nuts:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
 :popcorn: