Author Topic: drive shaft splines and final drive oil  (Read 6049 times)

Offline coyoteb

drive shaft splines and final drive oil
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
I changed final drive oil yesterday and it was very,very dirty-just 5000 miles.(about 20,000 miles on '08 bike).
I lubed drive shaft splines with Honda Moly 60 before this FD oil change and looks like oil is mixed with moly.
 Did anybody notice anything like that?

Offline S.Ga.Rider

Re: drive shaft splines and final drive oil
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:31:35 AM »
I have changed mine at every oil change and its always been dirty looking. I also lubed the splines in the hub of the wheel but havent done the ones in the front of the shaft yet.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
You should of changed at 600 miles, then at 10,000, then at every oil change.  This is no big deal, but for $8 a bottle, you might just want to change it more frequent.  Why not, its only money and time that we don't have?   ;D
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline okxd45

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
Does anyone have good pics to show these splines?  Obviously I see the ones where the 90 wt is added, but there are others that need grease?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline coyoteb

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »
Gentlemen,
I guess I was misunderstood,splines are looking good,as of now and I hope they stay that way for long time.
FD oil is contaminated with moly.
Sliding joint( a part bolted  to a final drive pinion gear) has a hole,which allows oil flow to splines and I guess lubricate it.Drive shaft got a big o-ring preventing oil from going where not supposed to.
Front splines of the drive shaft are completely different story,there is no oil access to it.
I just wonder whether I could've overdone it(used too much moly on rear splines) and mix of moly and gear oil will not have any negative effect for  a long run.(for FD and splines)
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:45:29 PM by coyoteb »

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
Gentlemen,
I guess I was misunderstood,splines are looking good,as of now and I hope they stay that way for long time.
FD oil is contaminated with moly.
Sliding joint( a part bolted  to a final drive pinion gear) has a hole,which allows oil flow to splines and I guess luricate it.Drive shaft got a big o-ring preventing oil from going where not supposed to.
Front splines of the drive shaft are completely different story,there is no oil access to it.
I just wonder whether I could've overdone it(used too much moly on rear splines) and mix of moly and gear oil will not have any negative effect for  a long run.(for FD and splines)
Any thoughts?

Sorry i semi-hijacked your thread. :-[  But why would you use moly on the rear splines that get constantly splashed with 90 wt?  Anyway.......I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but BDF would have a more educated opinion.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline coyoteb

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
service manual said to do so,

Offline okxd45

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
service manual said to do so,

Wow........guess I need to read my manual more!  I would think you would be good to go in that case.
Jeff

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
I have an old '08 service manual, I haven't seen that spline moly thing.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
I have an old '08 service manual, I haven't seen that spline moly thing.

Page 11-10. Also the splines on the final drive that key into the wheel (pg 10-8)
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.