Author Topic: Tires: Best combination of performance and longevity  (Read 8760 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Tires: Best combination of performance and longevity
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »
I am going to have to replace my stock tires on my 2009 (around 4500 miles currently) in another 1k or so. The guy that had the bike before me must not have done many curved roads as the center of the tire is much more worn than the sides.

On my TL1000R, I went with tires that would give me 10k+ miles as I don't typically ride the bike hard except for my once-a-year 1200 mile trip. On the C14, I am figuring I should have the same goal, more miles than performance. If the PR2 and PR3's are typically getting 6k (from other threads), what tire can I get 10k out of without loosing a whole bunch of performance?

What do you guys think?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Son of Pappy

Re: Tires: Best combination of performance and longevity
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:18:44 AM »
Pirelli Angel STs for me, PR2s were vastly superior to the 021s, and the old Pirelli Diablo Stradas were awesome, but the Angels have been the best for me, wet, dry, trackside, and touring.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
I replaced my OEM stones at 6500 miles. I got just slightly more out of Avon Storm II Ultras. I replaced the Avon rear tire last night with 6800 miles on it with a PR3. Will replace the front this weekend.

This is what the Avon looks like after 6800 miles:

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:07:20 PM »
I guess I'm getting old.  8.9k on oems, 12k on PR2's.  There seem to be a bunch of us who get 10-12k plus on the PR2's, but others burn right through them.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline yardboy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
10k on my first set of PR2's. Performance has always been there two up or solo.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
I'd vote for the PR2s (haven't tried the PR3s yet). No compromise necessary--great performance and great longevity.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
PR2s  are great. I had close to 17000 on a set. I have PR3s coming from Murphs. I can't wait to get the stockers off this time. My 08 OEMs went 11,300. My 2010 is at 8,000 and I am just about at the wear bars. These tires never felt real good cornering since new like the older set did. I thought they improved them...
Joel from Maine.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
2 friends with Dunlop 023, one on a BMW 1300GT and another wit then on an ST1300. The ST1300 has about 12,000 miles on them, I have them on my 09 and have 4,000 and 3,000 on the rear and they still look new,

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Bob

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
Pirelli Angels have been the best of all worlds and I recommend them. They are absolutly awesome in the dry. Very good in the wet. And wear decent.
 I'm running Michelin PR3's right now and so far they are very good. They are the best tire I've used in the wet. They are pretty good in the dry. But I don't know about the longevity of them.
 The PR2's and the 021's sucked!

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
You all must have silky smooth roads where you're at.  I got 4000 out of the stockers, 5000 out of the PR2's, and I'm 3000 into a PR3.  If it gets to 4000 without the cords popping out I'll be thrilled.  ;D

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
PR2s. The PR3 seem to be a bit softer for more cornering pizzazz, at the price of shorter life. Or at least that's the current theory as apparently nobody has worn out a pair yet as too new.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
Good information from everybody here. Thanks for everything!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 05:58:49 AM »
I'm having the new Bridgestone BT 023 (GT spec front) installed on Monday. They have been getting great reviews. They should offer a good balance between performance and longevity.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »
I got 4500 out of the stock bricks but to be fair to them an 1100 mile high speed weekend finished them off to a square profile.  PR3's front and rear went on last night.  I put about 75 miles getting home after the install via mostly backroads and they seem GREAT.  Turn-in is very light, they hold a chosen line well.  Smooth on the highway.  Now that I think about it I didn't recall hearing the front tire howl like the stock one did when leaned over.  I deliberately went to the parking lot of a local school to do a series of low and moderate speed tight turns and I was very impressed with the way they handled.  The final 'test' was the entrance into my street.  About two weeks ago the town applied tar to a bunch of cracks in the road right where I need to turn.  Those tar snakes would have the stock tires side step EVERY time, with the side step getting worse as speed increased.  Last night I hit them at a pretty good pace leaned over and the bike was rock solid.  I'm taking ARC 2 on Sunday, so stay tuned for more feedback!
2010 C14 ABS

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:37:49 AM »
I got 8200 miles out of the front stocker and 9200 out of the rear. Tire pressure helps a lot. I live in PA and had a combination of hard twisty riding and a lot of cross country interstate riding. If you under inflate you will wear the tire much faster.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
Or at least that's the current theory as apparently nobody has worn out a pair yet as too new.

People have worn through them at this point.  I think JamminJere got about 4k out of the rear.  I'm at about 3200 and might get another thousand out of mine.  Both of us are in PA if that matters, and we both put on some miles two up as well.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 08:26:17 AM »
I noticed last night these 2008 tires appear brand new  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
I had a hard time deciding between the PR2's and the Pirelli Angels.  I needed the tires before next Tuesday and the PR2's would not be here until Wednesday so my mind was made up for me.  Hopefully I will like the Pirelli's.  I guess anything is better than the stockers.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
I noticed last night these 2008 tires appear brand new  8)

AMAZING!!  No matter what size the bike is.. Steve has a hot chick on the seat.... ;D

Yeah I only got 4000 miles out of my first rear PR3...  But they were a really fun 4000 miles. I didn't buy this bike to see how many miles I could get out of the tires. I do ride two up with gear quite a bit, my wife is an excellent pillion and likes to move at a "ride it like we stole it pace".. I accelerate hard out of the corners while still leaned over a lot.  When I'm riding solo, at times I'm even worse..

So please don't use my mileage as a guide on what this tire can do for you..

If you can get 8 or 9K out of the stock tires, and we went for a ride together on the same route, there's a good chance you wouldn't see me more than about thirty seconds that day..

YMMV

JJ

There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

If you can get 8 or 9K out of the stock tires, and we went for a ride together on the same route, there's a good chance you wouldn't see me more than about thirty seconds that day..

YMMV

JJ
:)

I just shot ice tea out my nose!