Author Topic: Special Thanks to the Incredible Hulk  (Read 11130 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Special Thanks to the Incredible Hulk
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Just want to give special thanks to Lou Ferrigno aka The Incredible Hulk.  Apparently Lou has started working for Kawasaki installing oil filters because whoever put this filter on my bike didn't quite understand what torque values are.   WTH?   Honestly, that thing had to have been put on by a machine because this is ridiculous.   I really didn't want to take off the fairing to change oil.

How many of you remove the fairing to change oil?

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Special Thanks to the Incredible Hulk
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
I thought the same thing when I did my first oil change, and I installed my filter the same way I would install any other oil filter - hand tight.  For whatever reason, it appeared to tighten itself even more because on the second oil change, it seemed to be on even tighter than the first filter was.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
I agree.  Getting that filter off was ridiculous for the first change.  I used a hammer to pound a long screwdriver through the filter for leverage and could get it to turn about 1/8 of a turn.  I had to keep pounding the screwdriver through, rotating 1/8 turn, remove screwdriver, pound through again, repeat. 

edit:  I was stubborn and did not remove the fairing BTW.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
I have a channel lock filter wrench for the OEM installed hulk filters, after that I always just hand tighten them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
I think that is pretty standard on any factory installed oil filter. I think they do tend to tighten up after being subjected to the engine vibrations and heating/cooling cycles. At least until the gasket shrinks. Then they get really loose.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
I used this wrench and had absolutely NO PROBLEM:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1449&str=4

well worth it

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »
Yeah but no one has complained that an oil filter leaked or fell off a C-14 yet....  ;D

Yep, that factory filter is really put on there. My first filter change involved the ole' screwdriver through the oil filter body trick after which I ripped the oil filter body off the oil filter flange. Opps. It took two pair of Channel Locks and a lot of really bad words in interesting combinations to remove the flange of the filter and leave the mating aluminum face intact. And not a small coating of oil on my arms, my shoulder, etc. Not pretty.

Brian

Just want to give special thanks to Lou Ferrigno aka The Incredible Hulk.  Apparently Lou has started working for Kawasaki installing oil filters because whoever put this filter on my bike didn't quite understand what torque values are.   WTH?   Honestly, that thing had to have been put on by a machine because this is ridiculous.   I really didn't want to take off the fairing to change oil.

How many of you remove the fairing to change oil?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Yeah but no one has complained that an oil filter leaked or fell off a C-14 yet....  ;D

Yep, that factory filter is really put on there. My first filter change involved the ole' screwdriver through the oil filter body trick after which I ripped the oil filter body off the oil filter flange. Opps. It took two pair of Channel Locks and a lot of really bad words in interesting combinations to remove the flange of the filter and leave the mating aluminum face intact. And not a small coating of oil on my arms, my shoulder, etc. Not pretty.

Brian

;D ;D ;D   I was beginning to think I was the only one who found odd combinations for all those bad words.   Glad to see I'm not alone.   If I'm getting ready to start a project, my son usually says "Oh great, now dad's gonna say a bunch of naughty words"  ;D

Offline Shoe

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I think the gasket swells and forms a tight seal.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
I didn't have any problems at all getting my factory installed filter off the bike.  You guys must be unlucky.  Course all I put back on are the K&Ns.  I don't remove any fairings to get them off either or tighten them within an inch of their lives.  They don't leak either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
I didn't have any problems at all getting my factory installed filter off the bike.  You guys must be unlucky.  Course all I put back on are the K&Ns.  I don't remove any fairings to get them off either or tighten them within an inch of their lives.  They don't leak either.
I think they must be a bunch of girly men. I have taken off every filter with just my bare hand, unless it is still too hot, then I wear one of my white Motor Maid gloves.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
I think they must be a bunch of girly men. I have taken off every filter with just my bare hand, unless it is still too hot, then I wear one of my white Motor Maid gloves.

Totally agree.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline R Nelson

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »
I remember my factory filter was on super tight too.
My Current Rides:
2008 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
2006 Ford F150 SCAB, 5.4L

Offline booger

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:23:03 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
I had to use a big ole pair of channel locks to get the stocker off. I ain't no girly man either!    >:(     ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
Are you sure?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »
I am here to pump......you up!

Offline Restless

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
Yes, the first one is the worst and then you have control from there on out.  I used a wrench similar to this one to get both the first "hulk" filter off as well as future ones if the gasket swells.  It works great without removing any plastic and no cussing.  One of the best things about this bike is how easy the oil change is and no plastic ever has to be removed.  Might take 20 mins tops and most of that is waiting for the old oil to drain out.  :thumbs:

2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
A MANLY man never needs to wait for the oil to drain. He just sets his jaw, squints his eyes and stares at the crancase. The oil flies out and into the drain pan quicker than a Pedrosa holeshot.

Seriously, why pay for a silly wrench (save it for a sultry wench)? Just grab that filter with a MANLY grip and twist with Unbending Intent1

1"The Second Ring of Power" by Carlos casteneda
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Restless

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
A MANLY man never needs to wait for the oil to drain. He just sets his jaw, squints his eyes and stares at the crancase. The oil flies out and into the drain pan quicker than a Pedrosa holeshot.

Seriously, why pay for a silly wrench (save it for a sultry wench)? Just grab that filter with a MANLY grip and twist with Unbending Intent1

1"The Second Ring of Power" by Carlos casteneda

OK, whatever...   :rotflmao:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"