Author Topic: Special Thanks to the Incredible Hulk  (Read 11122 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Special Thanks to the Incredible Hulk
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »
Are you sure?

Pretty sure, I'll ask my wife.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »
A MANLY man never needs to wait for the oil to drain. He just sets his jaw, squints his eyes and stares at the crancase. The oil flies out and into the drain pan quicker than a Pedrosa holeshot.

Seriously, why pay for a silly wrench (save it for a sultry wench)? Just grab that filter with a MANLY grip and twist with Unbending Intent1

1"The Second Ring of Power" by Carlos casteneda

Does a manly man need to remove the drain bolt first?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
That takes a SUPERmanly man.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
No, a manly man just pokes his finger through the pan to drain the oil. To button things up, he just squeezes the sides of the pan around the hole together sufficiently so nothing leaks.

Real men don't even need tools.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
Here we go...... 8)

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
Chuck Norris just stares at the oil filter and the bike is so scared it changes its own oil.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »

Real men don't even need tools.

That's NOT what she said..

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
wow this post really took a turn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
wow this post really took a turn

They all have lately.........fun that way!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
Just get yourself one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html

Sears, Home Depot and Lowes all sell a version.

If you really wanted to get cheap, you could also puncture the side of the filter with a flat head screwdriver. Then, us the screwdriver to apply torque to remove the filter. It's a little messy but works in a pinch.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
I tried the screwdriver trick but didn't make out very well- look back a few posts in this thread.

What has worked well for me is this home- made thing:

(razor blade shown only to show the size of the slits in the wrench)

The wrench slips on the end of the filter easily, and after the hose clamp is tightened the filter wrench won't slip, or at least it hasn't for me. Loosen the clamp and it slides off easily too. This won't cause the filter to leak either like the screwdriver method.

Brian

Just get yourself one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html

Sears, Home Depot and Lowes all sell a version.

If you really wanted to get cheap, you could also puncture the side of the filter with a flat head screwdriver. Then, us the screwdriver to apply torque to remove the filter. It's a little messy but works in a pinch.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rawman

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
I always do my own oil changes so at 550 miles I removed the front oil drain bolt and the rear diff drain, but it took a supersized washer and visegrips to remove the differential fill bolt.  Then I tried to remove the oil filter......
After half an hour fighting with it and 3 different types of oil filter removal tools, I pounded a large screwdriver through it to get some leverage.  It just tore through the metal without budging.  At that point my kids were running scared after hearing the choice words coming from the garage....
I thought I was gonna have to push it on the trailer and bring it to the dealer with my tail between my legs.  I gave it one last shot with only about 1/3 of the filter remaining and finally got it to turn!  So I too, give thanks to the Incredible Hulk for wasting a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing a fricken oil change.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
I always do my own oil changes so at 550 miles I removed the front oil drain bolt and the rear diff drain, but it took a supersized washer and visegrips to remove the differential fill bolt.  Then I tried to remove the oil filter......
After half an hour fighting with it and 3 different types of oil filter removal tools, I pounded a large screwdriver through it to get some leverage.  It just tore through the metal without budging.  At that point my kids were running scared after hearing the choice words coming from the garage....
I thought I was gonna have to push it on the trailer and bring it to the dealer with my tail between my legs.  I gave it one last shot with only about 1/3 of the filter remaining and finally got it to turn!  So I too, give thanks to the Incredible Hulk for wasting a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing a fricken oil change.

Can you imagine having to take it to the dealer in that condition? You'd never be able to show your face there again.  :o

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
Can you imagine having to take it to the dealer in that condition? You'd never be able to show your face there again.  :o

I couldn't imagine. 

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
I heard the rumors so I started with strap wrench with a 12" adjustable wrench......... The hulk definitly torqued it; but the combo worked....

Offline DaveO

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
a big ass pair of channel locks is my tool of choice for stubborn oil filters.
I remove one bolt from fairing  and pull back on it gently,to give a little extra room to work

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »

Always* use a phillips screwdriver for this tip. Don't take my word for it, go try both on an old filter you may still have sitting around. I've always found that the phillips goes in with considerably less effort than the flat blade. It also has to be long enough to go all the way through both sides of the filter when it's being stubborn. 

(*almost always: use #2 phillips or smaller, I don't recommend #3)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
I just lightly tap my oil filter 3 times with my FOB and it unscrews itself, because KiPass is that bad-azz
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Excavator

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
On my first change I was expecting problems (after reading the stories) so I took my small strap wrench and started flexing my muscles prepairing for the fight.......Turns out I could have gotten it loose by hand, guess I was one of the lucky ones.   ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »
On my first change I was expecting problems (after reading the stories) so I took my small strap wrench and started flexing my muscles prepairing for the fight.......Turns out I could have gotten it loose by hand, guess I was one of the lucky ones.   ;D

Maybe Bruce Banner put yours on at the factory instead of the Green Guy?