Author Topic: helmet speakers?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline h2smokin

helmet speakers?
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
any ideas on helmet speakers. Just something to get me by I suppose. I would'nt mind something for my roadtrip in a couple of weeks. I don't like the earbuds and thought something that maybe clips into my helmet. Think I got spoiled by my gl1500, thanks

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: helmet speakers?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
I'm using the headset from my Gold Wing, I have a J&M handlebar mounted CB and run my MP3 through that and through my J&M headset.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:38:56 AM »
Checkout www.edsets.com  I've used his stuff on my Wing, now C14.  I also used J&M on the Wing... I think the EdSet's sound a bit better.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
any ideas on helmet speakers. Just something to get me by I suppose. I would'nt mind something for my roadtrip in a couple of weeks. I don't like the earbuds and thought something that maybe clips into my helmet. Think I got spoiled by my gl1500, thanks

This thread also contains relevant info that was started just an hour before yours:

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=487.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve K

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
I run an autocom system with their speakers, running my iPhone through the autocom control box for music and GPS from the phone with two-way radio to other bikes.  If you're deciding between speakers versus earbuds, two thing to think about.  First, earbuds give higher volume 'cause they're in your ear, and second, in some states ear buds are illegal while speaker are not (I think it's because police bike officers use speakers).   

Bob

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
I use these. Not very expensive. They sound pretty good too!

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/imc-helmet-music-speaker-kit

Offline Mark NL

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
I bought a StarCom1 Headset for my Zumo in early 08(speakers & Mic.)and they worked the best of any of the speakers I have Used
I did not like using the microphone ( talking on the phone while riding ) so I separated the two and used the speakers only.
I have since changed to the scala G4 which matchs my brothers set-up so we can Pair up.
The scala G4 work great for a do everything wireless set-up and the Comany really backs their product. I would highly recommend it for a wireless all in one unit, but the StarCom1 speakers are much much better, if all you want is a wired excellent speaker set-up they are the real deal. I did have to e-mail them to make sure I got the correct plug set up for my Zumo but they answered quickly and sent the right stuff the first time.

Offline Mark NL

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
I think the part name # is SH-004

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
Personally, I think adding speakers to the inside of a helmet is a fairly bad idea, from a hearing protection standpoint.  Road noise alone is damaging enough to your ears at freeway speeds.  I personally ride with earplugs if I'm going on a longer ride than my daily commute.  I can actually here traffic sounds better with earplugs in place than without.  For really long rides I have a set of Etymotic ER6 earbuds that plug into a portable radio I have in my inner jacket pocket (digital tuning - I can flip through the presets by just pushing the button through my jacket.)

Yes I know it's not legal to have both ears plugged but tickets are cheaper than hearing loss.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
I use these. Not very expensive. They sound pretty good too!

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/imc-helmet-music-speaker-kit

excellent suggestion! I've got those in my Shoei and I like them very much, but the combination of music and typical motorcycle driving noise ARE damaging, so I always use them with ear plugs. They tend to filter lower frequencies and therefore affecting the sound of the speakers, but my hearing comes first, quality second.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.