Author Topic: LEOs in action Collier county  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Re: LEOs in action Collier county
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »

Now, I'm not anti LEO - my Dads a retired TX DPS officer, and I'm still in the Army myself - but

While running from the cops is never a great idea.....this kind of thing happens way too much.

Worst is probably this: U.S. Marine Killed by SWAT in Arizona, Full Details to Date - May 28, 2011  Shot the kid 60 times in his own home.

Am frankly surprised at the militarization of police that I see when I travel back home. Guys in N Richland Hills TX wearing Tac vests and sporting high & tight haircuts....really?

Another poor judgement here: Utah Police Drug Raid Video showing the murder of an innocent homeowner.  Shot a man in his house.

LEO's, wanna do some down range time? Waste some ragheads, clear buildings where they fight back?- cool, sign up...  Otherwise, quit dressing up like a Ranger Joe's catalog model and return to protecting & serving vs intimidating & dominating.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
Furbo, I get your sentiment, but lets not forget that LEOs are "downrange" every time they strap on their duty belt.  Their tours last years, not months.  Often underpaid, undertrained, and lacking good leadership it is inevitable that there will be some ranger joes on duty.  Until we hold all guilty accountable these things will continue to happen.  At issue is leadership not having the intestinal fortitude to toe the line.
Sadly with the soon to come massive drawdown we will see a lot of service members who were marginal performers (not a knock, just simple fact, they will keep the cream) looking for work.  The pay will lower as there will be a bigger pool of people willing to do the job for less.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
I'm not anti LEO either but there is nothing wrong with a little civilian oversight. I also have little sympathy for the idiot running from the police for a traffic violation. But it's clear to me the guy was surrendering. I think it would have been safer for the officers involved to stand back with weapons drawn and order the guy to the ground. If he doesn't comply then Taser or tackle would be appropriate. I understand the adrenaline thing but if they cannot control it then more/better training and/or find another line of work. I know it's a hard and dangerous job but like crab fishing, that's what the job calls for.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »
I know it is cheesy, but I think Col. Jessup summed it up quite nicely ......

What pissed me off about the movie and that character was not about questioning the use of a "code red" for training purposes but the fact that he ordered it and then was happy to let a corporal and a PFC take the hit for it. Zero honor in that. That's the truth that Col. Jessup couldn't handle.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
Concerning traffic stops. When you comply-nobody dies.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
I guess that once you run for 2-3 minutes, you can't stop and surrender without the potential of getting the crap beat out of you. The guy did have an ounce of pot on him, so I imagine that's why he ran. I'm sure it wasn't because he was worried about getting a ticket for going 67 in a 45.

I didn't see the video. Having trouble getting the link to play it.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
I guess that once you run for 2-3 minutes, you can't stop and surrender without the potential of getting the crap beat out of you. The guy did have an ounce of pot on him, so I imagine that's why he ran. I'm sure it wasn't because he was worried about getting a ticket for going 67 in a 45.

I didn't see the video. Having trouble getting the link to play it.

An ounce? The story said a gram, do you have any idea how little pot there is in a gram? A nickel (5 cents) weighs ~5 grams. Don't ask me how I know...    8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:37:07 PM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
An ounce? The story said a gram, do you have any idea how little pot there is in a gram? A nickle (5 cents) weighs ~5 grams. Don't ask me how I know...    8)

Left over roach.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Has he got bugs in his reefer?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »
That's not mine officer, honest, I was holding it for a friend of mine who's a bug.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
I thought a nickel bag was $5.00?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
inflation

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
OK, saw the video (finally). I'm a former Fl State CO, plenty of training in use of force. While I expected to actually see an excessive use of force - I didn't. Here's the problem; when he hit the ground he held his hands under his chest. At that point responding officers would HAVE to be concerned that he's going for weapon. The strikes to his ribs and "give me your hands" orders was so they could get his hands cuffed behind him. Honestly, I'm with the cops on this one. Steve

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
Glad the comments are calming down a bit ;D  I agree.  I am with the boys in blue on this one.  Don't want a rough take down, don't run.  Now again, we all know that some police abuse their power, but I didn't see that here.  Also, big difference between policing in NYC etc vs podunk USA. 
Many officers will go their entire career without drawing their weapon.  Depending on where they're serving, some may need to draw it every week......

Offline booger

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
Honestly, I'm with the cops on this one. Steve

I am 100% A-OK with they way the officers handled the guy physically.  But I honestly feel the officer threatening to kill him is not acceptable.  That is an officer out of control.  Adrenaline or not.  That is not a normal thought process.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
Guy puts the side stand down, gets off.
Cop says "put your hands up"
Guy signals a touch down.
Cop approaches guy WITH WEAPON DRAWN and basically cold cocks him. Support is 3-5 seconds away (and jump on the pile too).

Me thinks, "Put your hands up", wait 5 seconds for support, cuff the guy, do the paperwork.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
OK, saw the video (finally). I'm a former Fl State CO, plenty of training in use of force. While I expected to actually see an excessive use of force - I didn't. Here's the problem; when he hit the ground he held his hands under his chest. At that point responding officers would HAVE to be concerned that he's going for weapon. The strikes to his ribs and "give me your hands" orders was so they could get his hands cuffed behind him. Honestly, I'm with the cops on this one. Steve
Where I run into a problem with it is the initial takedown.  The guy clearly had gotten off his bike and had his hands in the air.  Then the cop hits him in the face.  It appears to me that the biker's actions after that point are simply protecting himself from the officers' punches.
Guy puts the side stand down, gets off.
Cop says "put your hands up"
Guy signals a touch down.
Cop approaches guy WITH WEAPON DRAWN and basically cold cocks him. Support is 3-5 seconds away (and jump on the pile too).

Me thinks, "Put your hands up", wait 5 seconds for support, cuff the guy, do the paperwork.

Rick
That sounds more like what would be expected of me, as a CO.  We run into this kind of thing often between inmates.  One hits the other - once - and gives up.  At that point, we can't tackle the initiator.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157