Author Topic: Newbie again: Battery Tender never shows "green-charged"?  (Read 21012 times)

Offline silvermane

Newbie again: Battery Tender never shows "green-charged"?
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
I've had the bike now for a few weeks and as all my bikes I keep a Battery Tender hooked up keeping my battery fresh daily.  I've been noticing though that the Kawi is the only bike that the charging light stays red only, never changing to green like all my others?  Maybe this charger is going bad?  So I've switched a few times and still same results.  Is there something running continuously that keeps a drawl on the battery or????  Any ideas?
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Newbie again: Battery Tender never shows "green-charged"?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
Stock, these bikes don't have much of a current draw.  At least that's with the 08/09s.  I don't use a tender of any sort on mine and never had an issue with the battery.  Do you have any powered farkles drawing any power?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BMahar

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
  I also keep a Battery Tender on my 2011 Concourse and the red light stays on for a short period of time but then the green comes on.  Check for a draw on the battery or perhaps a loose connection.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
I also use one and it goes to green in a few minutes. Try your tender on another battery, the unit might be bad.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Shoe

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
Have you checked the polarity?
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
My battery is several years old and tender goes green after a short period.  Do you have the tender connected directly to the battery terminals??  If not there could be some resistance in the charging path.

Good Luck,
Fred

Offline Locol

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
You inspired me to hook up my tender pigtales and plug in the charger on my new bike. It took the tender about 3 mins. to turn green. This is the same amount of time it took on my old Uly. Something is up if yours is not turning green.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
How do you have the battery tender hooked to the battery?  You are aware that the cigar outlet is switch through the key, right?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline silvermane

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
Yikes!  You guys got me worried now :(  I'm using the alligator clips that came with the unit until I hook up the permanent battery connection.  I've hooked up the red to the red terminal I can see and the black negative to the negative leg shown in the owner's manual for charging.  You are right, all my other bikes change to green in just a few minutes/hours.  Oh boy :/

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Made me go look mine is green..
Jeff

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
My charger takes about an hour or more to turn green if it hasn't been hooked up for more than a week.  Recent Murph's AGM battery -- my other bikes can sit for months and the charger turns green in just a few minutes.  I have always suspected that there is a parasitic drain on the battery.  There are no farkles on my electrical system either.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline silvermane

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
I've tried all four of my tenders, and none of them ever turn green on the connie.  They turn green on the other three bikes bikes within an hour though.  Uhg!  The only electric mod is really not a mod, I have a dual-outlet adapter in the cigar outlet.  I've double checked it and it only is powered when "on".  I would just drop the tender but for decades I've gotten at least twice the life on ever battery.  Also, understanding how a battery works with this technology is a win-win.  Now to figure out why I can't get a full charge......................................

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »
Have you disconnected the battery from the bike,both pos and neg and tried the charger to determine if the battery will charge?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Just wondering, have you put a meter on the battery to see what the voltage is?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:37 AM »
+1 from gpink and conrad....  You need to get the battery out of the bike, see what the voltage is, and see if it will charge to green by itself to determine if the problem is withe the bike putting a drain on the battery... Or just a bad battery with a bad cell... If the voltage of the battery after charging is around 10.8 V you have a bad cell in it..

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline silvermane

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »
Good idea!  I just bought the bike and haven't touched the battery.  I do know when I ride it says 14.3.  I'll check and clean and protect my terminals.  I need to install terminal block anyway, after I check the battery issue...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
14.3 means your charging system is working but not battery condition. Let us know what you find.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »
14.3 means your charging system is working but not battery condition.

That's good to know.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »
+1 from gpink and conrad....  You need to get the battery out of the bike, see what the voltage is, and see if it will charge to green by itself to determine if the problem is withe the bike putting a drain on the battery...

Well, you don't have to take it off the bike (or disconnect it) to check the resting voltage condition.  Just charge the bike "fully" (or as much as it will take), start the bike, turn it off, wait 5 min, and take a reading anywhere accessible, but WITH THE IGNITION AND ALL LIGHTS OFF. 

If you want to test if the bike is putting a parasitic resting drain on the battery, the only way to test that is to use a multimeter on milliamps setting, make sure bike IS OFF, disconnect one pole of the battery,  then connect one lead of the meter to the disconnected battery pole and the other to the disconnected bike lead.  This will show the current drain.  It should be extremely low, like in the 10mA range or less (I don't know exactly what the maximum would be considered acceptable on the Concours).

I do know when I ride it says 14.3.

As gpink said, the voltage reading from the display is mostly meaningless.  That is the condition of the battery PLUS the alternator PLUS the voltage regulator in the alternator vs. all the current load from everything sucking power.  Think of is as an "overall health of the RUNNING electrical system".   But that reading says almost nothing about the condition of just the battery, alone.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
Well, you don't have to take it off the bike to check the resting voltage condition.  Just charge the bike "fully" (or as much as it will take), start the bike, turn it off, wait 5 min, and take a reading anywhere accessible, but WITH THE IGNITION AND ALL LIGHTS OFF. 

If the battery is still connected to the bike you would still have the possibility of a parasitic draw and not know for sure if the battery is bad. ?