Author Topic: Info for Rotella Lovers  (Read 18096 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Info for Rotella Lovers
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »

Did someone say Busa??  ;)

Finally something worthwhile. In keeping with the fact this is an oil thread, might I suggest a little coconut oil.  :chugbeer:

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
Well now that someone finally said that, Olive oil is really a pretty good lubricant and works well in modern machinery overall. The two big problems is that being organic it tends to go rancid and like most natural oils, tends to have a poor viscosity / temperature curve. A better oil that is still natural is the oil of the castor bean, which is one of the very few, if not the only, oil to actually get thicker at extremely high temperatures. It is also one of the few decent lubricating oils that is miscible with alcohol.

Castor oil was the oil of choice in early Rhone or gnome type radial (rotary) engines as they were a contestant- loss type and the pilot of the plane ended up consuming a lot of oil from the exhaust. And yes, the pilots did suffer from the result of ingesting too much castor oil.... maybe Herr von Richthofen might have been called the 'Brown Baron' if not for the catchy color of his plane?

This has got to be a new low even for an oil thread.

Brian

Obviously I was kidding. Most oil threads are full of hooey; I thought I would add some. :)

I've used Rotella 15/40 in my last 3 rides without a single issue (100K+ total miles). I always replace the oil and filter every ~3K miles. If you want to spend ~$10 a quart on special "formulated" oil, go right ahead. I will continue to change mine every 3K miles at ~$13 a gallon.

Oh yeah, I also use cheap Napa filters... <gasp>

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »
I never said it wasn't. I am not commenting on any particular oil. I am commenting on the "study" done that compares nothing and doesn't take into account that all oils lose viscosity as it is used and breaks down. The engineers who came up with the specs take all that into account. Pick a quality oil and be done with it. The Internet is replete with horror stories or "information" regarding the suitability or unsuitability of oils, filters, you name it and the majority of said information isn't worth the price of the paper it is written on, and since it is on the Internet and not actually written on paper, it must not be worth much.

Buy oil, buy a filter, drain your oil, remove old filter, install new filter, pour in new oil and ride. Repeat as necessary. (This doesn't mean every 1500 miles.)  ::) Someone here once said he changed his oil every 1500 miles. If I did that there would be times I would change the oil every other day. On one trip I would have changed the oil after one day of riding.

Don't get me started about the old thread wanting people to send their oil in for analysis. This is simply hypochondria for motorcycles. Seriously people, the manufacturer actually knows what they are doing when the recommend oil, filters and oil change intervals. The engine will last a long time without horrific catastrophic damage due to using ordinary motorcycle oil that meets the manufacturers specifications.
(Is the a stepping off the soapbox emoticon anywhere here?)

I like this guy! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
Obviously I was kidding. Most oil threads are full of hooey; I thought I would add some. :)

I've used Rotella 15/40 in my last 3 rides without a single issue (100K+ total miles). I always replace the oil and filter every ~3K miles. If you want to spend ~$10 a quart on special "formulated" oil, go right ahead. I will continue to change mine every 3K miles at ~$13 a gallon.

Napa Gold?  If so, they are just reboxed Wix filters which are good quality filters IMO. If they are good enough for a half a million dollar piece of farm equipment then they should perform fine in my vehicles.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
Napa Gold?  If so, they are just reboxed Wix filters which are good quality filters IMO. If they are good enough for a half a million dollar piece of farm equipment then they should perform fine in my vehicles.

Yeah, that's all they carry, Napa Gold. I already knew Napa Gold were Wix automotive filters. Wix makes a damn good filter IMHO.

I had a filter discussion/debate on the old forums. Someone was claiming that Kawasaki made their own filters. Turns out, Kawasaki filters are just re-branded Denso (Japan) filters...

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »

What's the ID on that Napa Gold? Just heard my Super Techs may no longer be available.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
What's the ID on that Napa Gold? Just heard my Super Techs may no longer be available.

Napa Gold 1358

Some others:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1650.0

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
Napa Gold 1358

Some others:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1650.0

1356 is the long (more capacity) version.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.