Author Topic: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?  (Read 74223 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Brock just got 219 HP with his pipe on a 2012 ZX14R with 60 miles on it.......this motor really puts out lots of power with some ECU tweaking and pipe installation.

It seems to me that Kawasaki would want to build only one (1) 1400cc engine instead of two different ones with different bores and strokes in time to come.

With motorcycles on the decline because of the economy, a great way to boost sales at least on this bike is to put a stronger engine on board maybe next year......other than color changes....there are no real upgrades, and the prices continue to rise slightly each year.

What do you guys think about a bigger engine in the future for our C-14?

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Mister Tee

Re: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
You would think, but the whole point of a C14 engine is to have more low end and midrange over a fixed cam engine.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
You would think, but the whole point of a C14 engine is to have more low end and midrange over a fixed cam engine.

I agree, but then what are those secondary butterflies doing in my bike?   :-\
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
To slow you down, Martin.  They've heard about you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Other than possibly bragging rights against BMW's K1600 and maybe help those who routinely ride two-up with subtantial luggage, I don't seem how the extra cc's would make a difference for most C14 riders.

I don't recall ever venturing into the upper 1/3 of the RPM range, which is where the '12 ZX14R makes its magic.  I spend 95% of the time below 5k.  As a sport tourer, the C14 could always use more refinement (NVH, MPG, wind/heat management, instrumentation, seat, luggage, handling, fuel mapping, TC, etc.), even though it already does very will in those depts.  I'd rather see Kawi focus on those areas than adding more power.

I'm sure the 1441cc will replace the 1352cc sooner or later, as it makes no production efficiency sense to keep two very similar engines on the same production line.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
.......It seems to me that Kawasaki would want to build only one (1) 1400cc engine instead of two different ones with different bores and strokes in time to come.With motorcycles on the decline because of the economy, a great way to boost sales at least on this bike is to put a stronger engine on board maybe next year......other than color changes....there are no real upgrades, and the prices continue to rise slightly each year.

What do you guys think about a bigger engine in the future for our C-14?

Ninja

you really have not followed the history of the original Concours, along with the current one, and seen the exact trend they have followed (which by the way worked well for the last 30 years) dillegently...

Yeah, everyone wants more power, but just how long / how many miles do you think the average ZX / Ninja will realistically go when plused up as it is ?
Now, add in the warranty and extended warranty, and expect to get 200k miles from it.
yeah. and then loose the chain.

If Kaw were to actually listen to that request, and manufacture the C14 using the almost exact engine as you speak, you can bet you wouldn't be able to afford it; and albeit it would likely self destruct in well under 100k miles, besides costing the price of a new bike just to keep it up.

The Concours is what it is. It is bike designed to last a long time, and priced and warranteed accordingly.

But we can all dream ...heheheheh ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
If I wanted, I can already do 140 MPH two up with my wife screaming in my ear.

I don't think adding another 20-30 MPH on the top end would be good for my marriage.   :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
I don't see it happening, at least not in full power mode.  There are a few of us who do the power adders, flies out, ZX TBs, full exhaust systems, PCV, Auto tune, filter, and a coupla turbos.  But from what I have seen most are quite happy with what they have.  It is very few who will ever truly use what power is made from a bone stock C14, and even fewer who will fully realize, much less use the power added.  If mama kaw wants to offer a ZX power plant for a ST type bike I bet the easiest way would be a differant set of bars, taller screen, heated grips, and modular bags.  Sound familiar?  And a bigger tank would be a must.  All in all I would say for the masses it just isn't something a rider desires in a ST.  Besides, all you need to do for more power is buy the '08, Neutron Silver provides all the power a person could ever desire ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Seems to me that it makes sense to do the same treatment they did when they first introduced the C14. That is take the ZX14 engine and tweak it for more low end, less top end, wider torque range. So why wouldn't they take this new engine, add the VVT, change the throttle bodies and maps. So instead of 155hp at the crank stock you get maybe 165hp but not the 200+ monster of the ZX14R. It would make a nice competition to the new K1600.

Offline momo65

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
I am more than satisfied with the power my bike has, i think some refinement to what we already have would be a good touch, but that is just my opinion.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
To me, horsepower is just like Ta Ta's -  The more the better!  8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »

:thumbs: 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »

Exactly! The C14 made its claim to fame by being the baddest bad ass ST on the market in 08. They should keep up with the Joneses and use the engine they already spent bucks on to upgrade again.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
More power means more stress on drive train components- that means things will be more likely to fail under warranty and that costs money, strike one.
More power could make insurance companies scared, insurance costs could price prospective buyers out of the market, strike two.
Kawa is getting lots of sales to law enforcement. A cop bike with 200hp could be publicized in the media as extravagant and drive down sales, strike three!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
I'm amazed by how many people on this forum that don't like hp. It is the main thing that made me take a look at the C14 in the first place. I really need a touring bike but give me one with as much performance as possible at a reasonable price. That's why I love the C14.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
I am more than satisfied with the power my bike has, i think some refinement to what we already have would be a good touch, but that is just my opinion.

Yup me too...... I will go buy a ZX10R if I want to die.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
I'm amazed by how many people on this forum that don't like hp. It is the main thing that made me take a look at the C14 in the first place. I really need a touring bike but give me one with as much performance as possible at a reasonable price. That's why I love the C14.

+1

I bought a C14 because it's like a bigger, comfier sport bike with cheaper insurance and I'd personally love another 30+ hp.  It seems like others buy it because it's like a smaller, sportier Goldwing and they're content with the power it has.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
I have to agree with many of the others.  To me, the Concours is plenty powerful enough to do anything I would ever want or need.  And no affordable ST can currently out perform it.  I am more focused on reliability, efficiency, and comfort, which is what VVT, lower end tuning, shaft drive, etc offer.  The Concours offers an excellent combination of power/performance, fuel economy, and drivability backed by the industry's best warranty.

If Kawasaki wants to be creative, they should listen to the myriad of suggestions on the board, already- things like CRUISE CONTROL, HID LIGHTING, more adjustability for bars and seats, 100% LED lighting, built-in tip-over protection, and refined KIPASS that lets you unlock EVERYTHING without a key, not just the ignition.  And consider options for even more stuff ST riders often want: alarm, nav, com, and convenience lighting come to mind.

Of course, I am certainly not opposed to increased power, as long as it doesn't come at the cost of reliability, efficiency, and comfort.  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
If anyone thinks for a second, that a Connie has more low end grunt than a ZX14, they're sadly mistaken.
The VVT is pointless in my opinion. The old ZX engine would have been better left alone.
And a ZX engine will last just as long. You don't have to ride it as hard. 8)

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
IMO the more power this baby gets the faster you're going to chew through that rear tyre.  A mate has a Trumpy 2.3l and he is lucky to see 7,000kms/4350 miles out of his $600 rear tyre  :o
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390