Author Topic: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?  (Read 74267 times)

Offline tomp

Re: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »
Seems what you are saying is that the government really has no idea what they want, and screw manufacturers to meet their stupid new requirements, at the cost of our back pockets.  I will keep my 08, and not give in to the government's controlling stupidity, thank you very much....   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
Very much so. Big Brother looking out for us.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
Very much so. Big Brother looking out for us.
""HI, I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT, AND AM HERE TO HELP YOU.""  If you believe that, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I know you would love to own....  Believe me,with 47 years in sales, I know about what I speak.  Hee Hee Hee.... tp

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »
Seems what you are saying is that the government really has no idea what they want, and screw manufacturers to meet their stupid new requirements, at the cost of our back pockets.  I will keep my 08, and not give in to the government's controlling stupidity, thank you very much....   tp

All that being said about big gubment, I am personally glad they mandated the use of catalytic converters, unleaded gas, and the logical progression to digital fuel injection for fuel mgm't.- these items have helped to make the best running internal combustion engine in history, and will  prolong the inevitable demise to other designs of propulsion. 

Offline tomp

« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »

All that being said about big gubment, I am personally glad they mandated the use of catalytic converters, unleaded gas, and the logical progression to digital fuel injection for fuel mgm't.- these items have helped to make the best running internal combustion engine in history, and will  prolong the inevitable demise to other designs of propulsion.
Yep, but the EPA mandates have also created engines that have to run way too lean, to meet their required specs.  That's why add on  fuel management systems are now popular.  So many of today's motorcycle engines have to run too hot to meet the lean specs, creating uncomfortable  riding conditions.  Air cooled Harleys, as well as many other bikes fall into that category.  As if the minuscule amount of motorcycles on our roads really make an ecological difference. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:29 PM »
  As if the minuscule amount of motorcycles on our roads really make an ecological difference. 

Cow farts (methane) are wreaking havoc on our delicate ecological system. Or so says the EPA.      :banghead:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »
Oh, hell, I made a Kaw joke.....       ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2015, 02:59:14 AM »
^^^  :chugbeer:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
1441 is not going in the Concours any time soon.  Said that three years ago in this very thread. 

And yes, I have the ZX14 TBs, full exhaust, etc etc.  So I would like more HP for sure.

Not
Going
To
Happen
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2015, 12:34:35 AM »
It is quite possible it will happen, but if it does, it would only be with the next major redesign of the Concours.  Most of us have not expected that to happen anytime before 2016 at the earliest.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
It is quite possible it will happen, but if it does, it would only be with the next major redesign of the Concours.  Most of us have not expected that to happen anytime before 2016 at the earliest.

Agree. When Kawi is ready for a big marketing splash, gen 3 C14, will be the time to do it if they do it all.

elp_jc

« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »
I also don't believe it will happen. At least not in the same state of tune. The reason is obvious: a sportbike has a totally different use than a sport-touring bike. On a super naked? Yeah, sure. That trend started a while back. But on a 2-up sport-tourer, where better fuel economy and lower-end torque is more important? Makes little sense. Just give it enough to be ahead of its competition... and I believe it still is even at this old age :). It even beats the whale of the K1600 in acceleration and top speed. That one has more low-end torque for sure, but with its extra heft, they're pretty equal IMO. And the Connie is the first bike I ever own that is super relaxed on the highway... and I really value that. That's the reason why it has such a great range even with a smallish (by comparison) fuel tank. We should hear something about the replacement later this year, I guess. Have a good one.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:46 PM »
1441 Concours?
Not
Going
to
Happen

What would be really great would be a chassis redesign and a Concours that was 100 pounds lighter.  The bike would be instantly faster, and more economical in every way.  Better handling, etc.

Much bigger benefits than a larger engine with a little more power.  I have one Concours with 160+ RWHP, and more is definitely better.  But lighter weight is even better still.  That would be a real improvement. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
That would be really great would be a chassis redesign and a Concours that was 100 pounds lighter. 

And 2 inches lower + an adjustable seat.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
I'll say it one last time.
The 2012 and up ZX14R is a full 60 HP more than the Connie, and a full 150 LBS lighter.
If you haven't tried the 14R, you can't imagine. I know you think your bike is fast, and it is compared to your Buddy's bike. But compared to the 14R, it's impossibly slow and overweight.
You don't want that engine in your bike. Even if I've given it 5 more HP, and 5 less pounds, you don't want near that thing. It's insane. :o

I love my Connie. It's an awesome bike, but it has a totally different mission than the ZX14R. The worlds fastest production vehicle under 100,000 bucks.

It's a strap kit and pipe away from the mid-eights.

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
I agree it wont happen.  I like my concours 14 engine, but  its not a great engine for  a touring bike.    It really does nto start working well until its at 120mph.    Its fun, but something with more low end would be nice.

With the butterflies removed , its pretty good. Even though its more powerful than my Ninja 1000, you'd swear its not. Thats as much to do with gearing, but the overall feel.

The bigger zx14 motor is really more of the same. The zx14 would be incredible if it were set up for long distance riding.  For 99% of street use, its riding position is comical. It feels great when your over 100mph, but under that, forget it. Its power is awesome, but BMW does that 200hp figure with 1000cc's, and a hundred pounds less weight than even the zx14.

They wont go to the big 14 motor because I think the party about over with regards to the massive engines and emissions. The next generation will likely be a smaller, 140 hp version of Kawasaki's h2.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:15:32 PM by rcannon409 »

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
I don't see it happening: the ZX14R is the fastest production bike in the world.

"Oh, and by the way, we also stick the exact same motor in our sport tourer."

Would kinda take something away from their top dog, no?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only reason they de-tune ... yeah I said it Max(!), de-tune ... the C14 motor: so there's a performance gap between the two models sufficiently big enough in Mama Kaw's collective minds to make the big ZX stand alone.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »
"Oh, and by the way, we also stick the exact same motor in our sport tourer."  Would kinda take something away from their top dog, no?

Did it the first years of the C14 when it was the same displacement & block of the ZX14?  Not really.  It is just a matter of reusing existing R&D and parts.  And that saves time, money, and brings better products to market more quickly, resulting in more sales and more profit while also making repair easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only reason they de-tune ... yeah I said it Max(!),

It is not "de-tuned".  It is tuned for different parameters which are important for a sport touring bike, such as longevity, reliability, comfort, efficiently, and smoothness, not for peak HP at the expense of everything else like on a super sport bike.

elp_jc

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »
I'll say it one last time. The 2012 and up ZX14R is a full 60 HP more than the Connie, and a full 150 LBS lighter.
And I'll say it one more time too: Stop exaggerating ;D. Go to Kawasaki's website and get the weight figures for both bikes (remember to deduct the bags on the Connie for an apples to apples comparison). And magazines for RWHP figures. It's 40 HP difference compared to newer C14s, and less than 100 lbs weight difference. The ZX14 is a supersport bike (drag bike), just like the Hayabusa. It's no sportbike; way too heavy, long, and low. Like somebody said, try a BMW S1000RR if you want a superfast and nimble 200HP sportbike (it even comes with cruise control now, electronic adjustable suspension, quick-shifter, heated grips, etc). And the reason it's faster (top speed) is because it's not speed-limited. Maybe it is, but no such comparo yet.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2015, 01:34:11 AM »
And I'll say it one more time too: Stop exaggerating ;D. Go to Kawasaki's website and get the weight figures for both bikes (remember to deduct the bags on the Connie for an apples to apples comparison). And magazines for RWHP figures. It's 40 HP difference compared to newer C14s, and less than 100 lbs weight difference. The ZX14 is a supersport bike (drag bike), just like the Hayabusa. It's no sportbike; way too heavy, long, and low. Like somebody said, try a BMW S1000RR if you want a superfast and nimble 200HP sportbike (it even comes with cruise control now, electronic adjustable suspension, quick-shifter, heated grips, etc). And the reason it's faster (top speed) is because it's not speed-limited. Maybe it is, but no such comparo yet.
I understand you're new to this interweb thing... You're the one that needs to research things.
Screw Kawasaki's website. Go get some real info. Connies are lucky to put down 140 HP. ZX14R's lay down 190 something all day long. Get a grip dude. Your bike is slow.
The grass isn't always greener.