Author Topic: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?  (Read 74243 times)

Offline connie14boy

Re: When will Kawasaki put the new ZX14R Engine in the C-14?
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
Everyone seems to forget the market segment that Kawasaki chooses to compete in. It is the "value" leader in the segment, and even dropped the price $500. for 2015 while doing some questionable changes (no one here was asking for a new first gear). In order to spike sales, the company is listening to the beancounters and IMHO will sqeeze this iteration until hell freezes over. No problem with me- this bike is fantastic and I plan to run "Black Bear" for 300,000 miles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
The number of internet engineers, designers, marketing gurus, and corporate CEOs never ceases to amaze me when a manufacturer produces something that doesn't suit someone. If you know so much about it and could drastically increase profitability for Kawasaki,  send them your resume. I'm SURE they will reply immediately with a 7 digit per year salary plus all of the associated perks to go with.

Speaking for myself, I'll simply make a few modifications to to make an affordable, dependable, motorcycle a bit more enjoyable for my physical attributes and riding style.  8)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
Get a grip dude. Your bike is slow.
Nobody is saying the Connie is faster/quicker than a ZX14... and that's the way we want it. But if you want any credibility here, post facts, not hyperbole ;). Ignored, to keep thread on subject.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
The number of internet engineers, designers, marketing gurus, and corporate CEOs never ceases to amaze me when a manufacturer produces something that doesn't suit someone. If you know so much about it and could drastically increase profitability for Kawasaki,  send them your resume. I'm SURE they will reply immediately with a 7 digit per year salary plus all of the associated perks to go with.

Speaking for myself, I'll simply make a few modifications to to make an affordable, dependable, motorcycle a bit more enjoyable for my physical attributes and riding style.  8)

Nobody is saying the Connie is faster/quicker than a ZX14... and that's the way we want it.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
Everyone seems to forget the market segment that Kawasaki chooses to compete in. It is the "value" leader in the segment, and even dropped the price $500. for 2015 while doing some questionable changes (no one here was asking for a new first gear).

Well, not in so many words. However, some have commented on how gutless this bike is off the line, even though it has a large engine.  The solution was to either remove the flies or get a guhl reprogram. Kawasaki solved it the butt backwards way by changing the first gear.  I think everyone who has been guhl'd came away thinking "Yup, fixed that!" I will say that from I have read, those late opening flies are there to meet noise regulations. However, I have no idea if I'd like that shorter first, may not like having to shift early...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:51:55 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
Well, not in so many words. However, some have commented on how gutless this bike is off the line, even though it has a large engine.  The solution was to either remove the flies or get a guhl reprogram. Kawasaki solved it the butt backwards way by changing the first gear.  I think everyone who has been guhl'd came away thinking "Yup, fixed that!" I will say that from I have read, those late opening flies are there to meet noise regulations. However, I have no idea if I'd like that shorter first, may not like having to shift early...

In my mind, there is no question the stock addition and programming of the secondary bufferflies severely neuters the C14.  It is just so much more alive and responsive with those things removed or Ghul'ed away.  But there is NO question the intake noise is significantly louder.  I think their primary purpose is noise control AND economy/emissions, with an oh-by-the-way for part of traction control.  I don't think messing with first gear will in any way compensate for in-tact/stock "flies".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
Funny, but I like the amount of, or lack there of, low end immediate response.  I have to travel so often in congested traffic, that the smoothness of pull off fits traffic movement very well.  If I need acceleration, just twist the throttle a bit more and  well, Off We Go, leaving traffic as just a small spot in my mirrors.  I just wanted factory cruise control....tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

elp_jc

« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
I'm very used to high HP cars and motorcycles, and don't mind at all the power of my C14. It's more than enough for what it is. I think Kawi purposely limited power in 1st gear and maybe 2nd. Suzuki did the same thing with my ex-Hayabusa. Back then there was no TC, but it took off like a rocket. I by passed the limiters, and it was a handful, and not any quicker, so I put it back to stock. Now with TC would be a different story, but without a lenghtened wheelbase, it wasn't really manageable. Same thing with today's megaHP RWD cars; they just can't put the power down. I can beat the crap out of my brother's Ferraris with my new (stock) GTR, with less HP (but AWD -or FWD assist, since it's 100% RWD without slip). My Vette had similar power, but was also a handful. I enjoyed the challenge of driving it at its limits, but it's not for the novice. I've had plenty of track schools in both cars and motorcycles, and I don't agree with the adage of there's never enough HP. Have seen plenty of guys with lots more HP than me, and in the mountains, leave them for dead in both cars and bikes... AND in sportier machinery than mine. Maybe it's my age, but I'm done riding bikes 190+ mph ;D. Now, if I can't beat this leukemia, then maybe. Ha ha. Have a good one.

Offline tomp

« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:19 AM »
Now, if I can't beat this leukemia, then maybe. Ha ha. Have a good one.
No platitudes here.  I am really sorry that the Big C is attempting to take you over. May God bless and heal you.  My ex fought off Lymphoma a couple of years ago, but lost my mother to it at the same time.   Good things happen every day, and I pray good things for you.  You may or may not be a believer, that's your decision in life.  I am, and this is what I think and do for you. Know that you do have internet friends out here.   tomp

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2015, 09:02:59 AM »
If everyone is happy with the power the C14 has then why are so many pulling the flys, putting Area P full exhaust and PC-V's on their bikes? Clearly there is a market for a faster C14.

Offline tomp

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
If everyone is happy with the power the C14 has then why are so many pulling the flys, putting Area P full exhaust and PC-V's on their bikes? Clearly there is a market for a faster C14.
Just a wild guess here, but if all C14 owners in the US were polled, not just the members of this forum, I would bet that around 80-90% are riding stock bikes, and very happy with them.  Kinda like when a few % of owners of any given motorcycle have the same or similar problem, the forums make it seem as if every owner is suffering with the same malady, which scares potential buyers away, after visiting the forum and getting exaggerated information .. 

Example, I read a review of the 15 C14, and the reviewer made some negative comments.  A commenter stated his thanks for the review, and said he would never own one now, after reading just one rider's opinion.   Silly man, he will now never own the finest ST mount, just because someone told him not to, kinda.   Just some wandering thoughts on a day off... tomp

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »

Do you really think that if KHI produced a Concour with, let's just say, 175 rwhp, people would leave it stock? For me, modifying a motorcycle is part of the ownership experience. I don't want my bike to be just like anyone else's. It's also an ego thing. I don't want to be slower than "the same bike". I put in cams and did some other work to my last bike and didn't tell the guys I rode with about doing it. It really chapped their behinds when I would keep up with modified bikes and say "Boy, I guess that engine work you had done wasn't really very cost effective, was it?" 8)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »
It really chapped their behinds when I would keep up with modified bikes and say "Boy, I guess that engine work you had done wasn't really very cost effective, was it?" 8)

YOU SNEEKY DUDE, YOU....    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »
I will also not let them know how fast the Concour really is until there is some $ involved. Even then I will do my best to just barely win. Sandbagging is an art form.....    ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
I guess I feel that power is a lot like bacon. No such thing as too much.  ;D

elp_jc

« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
I'm not going to touch my bike mechanically; it's as good as I've ever owned right off the bat. Only changed the can, but with the quietest dB insert, since I just couldn't stand the stock abomination. Plus I saved a few pounds ;). I'll even leave the charcoal crap alone, since it affects idle. The can backfires momentarily when chopping the throttle, but that doesn't bother me, so will leave the air injection crap too, to protect the cats. It's nice for a change not having my garage stink when I park the bike (especially hot), or gear smell like crap due to dirty exhaust ;D. Plenty of power for the purpose of the bike. Will render final judgment after a long trip, but that would only lead to ergonomic changes, not mechanical ones, I assume. Have a great afternoon gang.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »

LOL! You made me snort coffee!
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »

:battle:

Some of us are semi or full vegetarian!  ANY amount of bacon is too much!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
I like bacon in moderation.