Author Topic: Changed the oil at 351 miles mark during break in.  (Read 8460 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Changed the oil at 351 miles mark during break in.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
This is what happens when you don't...

http://youtu.be/36WEn-9zs1U
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »
Interesting stuff... I'm curious where the 20 micron absolute rating came from with regard to the OEM kaw filter... I have to assume it was based on conjecture and generic data of "sumpin found on the internet... so it must be true"

There is much more to filter rating than the given figure....
The highest inefficiency of an oil filter is when it is new. That said, if this filter can only go to 20 microns, based on new, everytime that filter is replaced, it will allow everything just below 20 microns to pass thru it. 20 microns is ,00078"
Now, the basis of reasoning with an OEM situation where it is spec'd to do a change, is that as the filter traps more and more particles, the filter efficiency rises, to the point where somewheres right before pressure loss becomes an issue, the filter is stopping detritus down to 1 micron...
As an emgineer myself, I have great faith that unlike some lifecycle failurs of mechanical parts that could not be foreseen, the oil filtration and filter chioce and  cycle or replacement from a new engine HAS been intensively studied prior to making the chices on Lad's part saying it is safe. I'm willing to bet that in all actuality there was an very large safety margin applied to these figure. It would be foolish to believe they did not use exhaustive testing to insure these engines won't blow up, or be damaged, simply because of the costs involved, and the tainted reputation it would bring down.....

They KNOW as the filter collects debris, it becomes exponentially better at catching small particles, and I'm sure they did due diligence with respect to this.
This engine was the culmination of many years of development, and prior model 1400 Ninja abuse as a viable test bed on wear. They didn't simply stuff a development engine into a production line "hoping" it would last......

I'm not saying to neglect a fiter change, or oil replacement based on a mileage, but reasonable expectencies on a breakin imho are about 300, 900, 2000, and then you should be safe to run 3000 increments without issue. After 10k it is not unreasonable to run 4k intervals dependant on riding patterns, I.e. long freeway runs vs short hard round town blasting or dusty roads etc.

I suggest someone querry Dan Bergmen on the filter values, he has been down this road, and has viable data and testing results for many major filters compiled during the development of the spin on oil filter adapter for the C10.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
I've been doing 5k mile changes since the Kaws came home...   My prius is 10k.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
I've been doing 5k mile changes since the Kaws came home...   My prius is 10k.

I took a poll of all my vehicles and they all agreed that 5,000 mile oil changes was just fine with them, along with a shot of Lucas fuel conditioner for good measure, thank you.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »
I travelled out of state 1200 miles to get my bike.The dealer that i got it from knew full well that I wouldn't be travelling back 1200 miles to take of advantage of their first free oil change that they give to all new bike purchases. They still were adamant that the oil should be changed at 500 miles, said that they have seen all kinds of crap come out oil first change, even small pieces of gasket.
So, I stopped along the way, changed it and strapped the oil change thingy to my rear rack.