Author Topic: New brake pad questions  (Read 7047 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
New brake pad questions
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
So the dealer put on the new tire for me and then said my brakes were worn out and should be replaced.  I looked online at brake pads and check the forums and then decided that since I was pretty sastified wth the factory brakes pads there was no need to go with aftermarket pads and I would just have the dealer do the brakes since it was already in the shop anyways. Well much to my surprise they installed EBC brake pads... Is this standard practice to use aftermarket pads or are these the same pads as the factory pads?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New brake pad questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »
Those may be the only ones they had in stock.  However,  I would think that they would have used Kwak pads being that they are a dealer.  You could always ask them why they did it though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
I had EBC pads ONCE, they would humm so loud every time I applied the brakes I took them off. Hope they are better now.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
....Well much to my surprise they installed EBC brake pads... Is this standard practice to use aftermarket pads or are these the same pads as the factory pads?
You did not give us the production year of your bike, it may make a difference in the eye of the mechanics/dealer.
The 08 / 09 brakes were a bit finnicky, and in 2010 a new compound (improved) was made by Kaw, many dealers were retrofiting these as they were improved. If you have an 08/09, EBC's HH Sintered pads WERE an improvement over the originals, but i believe averyone that is using the newer compound Kaw pads (2010 and up) find them to be fine.
I would question the dealer, as they SHOULD only be installing Kawasaki brand replacement parts UNLESS you specify aftermarket specialties.....

My opinion is I like the EBC's, I have been running them for 10k mi., they hiss a bit but stop and control perfectly. I did have an issue of the thickness of the pad though, they are a bit skimpy on material compared to the factory pads.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DaveO

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »
ive had  more trouble than not when using aftermarket pads.
Never had problems with OEM .

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:01 AM »
I have been running the EBC's for a few thousand miles right now and I'm totally happy with them.  Zero issues of any sort.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lolife

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
Not that it makes any difference in your situation but I used to have a Honda & that dealership only stocked EBC pads & the Kaw dealer I use now only stocks EBC pads. 

I think the reason comes down to money.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »
I had EBC pads ONCE, they would humm so loud every time I applied the brakes I took them off. Hope they are better now.

I had the same experience with EBC pads installed on my CBR929. I sent mail to EBC asking what the scoop was. The reply was that they had heard of the noise issue but it was peculiar to Hondas, there is no safety concern and would go away with time.  Several thousand miles later and they are as noisy as the first day I installed them. I didn't replace them because they have a bit more grip and I like the feel better than the stock pads.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
Sure like my Galfer pads.........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Z71

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
I have heard good things about Ferodo pads.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
Wasn't Ferodo in a movie trilogy?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
That was Galfer the White

Offline Z71

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline Spanky

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
My dealer has EBC also. I was told it is because they are half the cost of stock pads and just as good. They have been on my bike for about 10k and are fine so far.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:56 AM »
My dealer has EBC also. I was told it is because they are half the cost of stock pads and just as good. They have been on my bike for about 10k and are fine so far.

My dealer gave me that exact same reply when I asked them the other day....   Seams strange that they would push aftermarket over the factory pads.  So far they have been working fine but I did get a little noise when applying them so I will continue to monitor them to see if that continues or not because I never heard them when running the factory pads.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
I would have to assume the big reason is there is more leeway in and also a more substantial markup potential in the EBC pad vs OEM
 ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:51 AM »
I've had a set of EBC HH pads in mine and they were great.
Oems lasted 25k, EBCs lasted 22k.

Currently about 1k into a set of Ferodos that I am not too impressed with.
They squealed when new and made crunching noises.
They settled down after a few hundred miles but don't bite like the OEMs and EBCs did.
To be fair they were cheap. A new set of EBCs costs 85UKP here and the Ferodos were 65UKP.

I'll be going EBC again when these either wear out or get on my nerves.
Still on the original rotors @ 48k miles.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
Well so far I'm not to impressed with the EBC's they are noisy compared to the stock pads...  I had 28k on stock rear and never a sound out of it but now with a few hundred miles on the EBC rear it is noisy when stopping.  Front brakes are still original OEM's but getting close to time to replace them as well.

I will ensure those get replaced with OEM pads because I will do the job myself and I may just request the dealer redo my rear with OEM's as well since they never informed me they were using after market pads.  I'm sure that will go over like a lead brick....   :-\

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
My original front pads were worn out at 22,000 miles and I had them replaced with more OEMs. They lasted about 25,000 and I replaced them myself with EBC HHs. I have 21,000 on the EBC and just checked them, they look like they will last another 20,000.  I do not notice any significant fifference in braking performance. They did squeal badly at first but I applied some Carcraft anti-squeal compound and the squeal is gone for good.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »
How do the hh do on the rotors, are they harder on them than say oe?
Is the noise worse with the hh ? Went oe on my replacement rears and they sure are proud of those little pads. Planing for the fronts soon.
Thanks guys