Author Topic: Wheel Removal  (Read 11636 times)

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
Wheel Removal
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
I know guys that have done their own tire changes, but haven't done it myself or seen it done on the C14.
Is it worth saving $65.00 to pull the front and rear wheel, take them to the shop for tire changes, then put them back on?
What's involved?  Time, tools required?
Thanks,
Tom
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Wheel Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
too easy to even consider paying.

I did a google search, these may help you:

Concours 14 Rear Tire Replacement

Concours 14 Front Tire Replacement
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »
I'll check 'em out-
Thank you!!!
Much appreciated.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »
I take them off and let my local tire guy change them.  He charges me $20 per wheel to change and balance.  So it's not worth it to me to invest in the time and tools to do it myself.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »
Rear wheel is easiest wheel removal I've ever done on a bike. Front is almost as easy. Definitely not worth it to pay someone else. Local Cycle Gear charges $20 for tire installation and I've had all my tires installed there.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »
I agree with the folks above. The Concours is very easy.  I like working on my own stuff for a few reasons.  One is that I've been working on my own stuff for 40 years now and I just like doing it.  But it also gets you familiar with your bike.  You'll see if anything else needs attention, and if you ever have a breakdown on the road you'll be much better prepared to deal with it.  It also saves me $30 for each to take it off myself.  From the time I walk out to my garage until the rear tire is in the trunk of my car is no more than 15 minutes, and that includes getting out tools, moving the bike etc.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:21 AM »
Good video but he should of mentioned about being careful not to damage the TPMS and also applying molly grease to the back wheel

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
I take them off and let my local tire guy change them.  He charges me $20 per wheel to change and balance.  So it's not worth it to me to invest in the time and tools to do it myself.
I am getting the same fees here ($20.00 per wheel).
If I were to bring in the bike it would be:
$40 for the front
$65 for the rear.
 * so $40 vs $105....

These prices don't make sense since it's actually easier to remove the rear wheel than it is to remove the front wheel (on the C14 anyway). Maybe it's got something to do with the tire change itself...

Thanks for the great info!
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
The C14 is the easiest bike to remove and mount the wheels I have ever seen. With the center stand you don't even need a jack. I do it all myself not just to save money but to save time. I have found that at times I can ride it in and have them do it while I wait, still takes a couple of hours. Other times I have to leave the bike or the wheels. I hate that, 2 round trips and my closest dealer is 30 min away. I can completely change, balance and remount a wheel in about an hour. Can do front and rear both in under 2 hours. Less then just the driving time to and from the dealer.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »

+1

(Unless I get rich enough to buy a stand and wife allows me to bolt one to the garage floor)  ;D
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
I'll give you another reason to do as much work yourself as you can. I just got my Goldwing out of a 2.5 week stay at the dealers for replacement of the ECU (Ext. Warranty work). I noticed there was a N/C item on the receipt for replacement of two trim pieces that I had just removed 3 times myself so I knew they were in perfect condition. Odd, but I figured I was ahead on the deal until I checked closely and found a 3" scratch in a saddle-bag that wasn't there when I dropped the bike off.  I failed to check it closely before I left so my bad. I once left forks for new seals and when I got them home I couldn't insert the axle through the lower forks.
They had boogered up the original bolts in the bottom of the both forks and replaced them with hardware store bolts whose heads were longer. When I disassembled the forks to replace those bolts, I found they had assembled the forks with no washer between the spring and spacer.  One bump and I would have driven the spring up into the spacer, and probably crashed.
The moral of the story is, if they work on your bike, they will screw something up, so the less chance you give them the better. A service manual will pay for itself many times over, and it makes most work pretty easy.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
I have done all my own changes on all my bikes. I have already replaced the rear and hands down the easiest of all the bikes I have owned. I have not done the front yet...I was wondering if you just use the center stand and somehow strap down or weigh down the back so the front wheel is off the ground? If so how are you holding the back down and is the center stand enough clearance?

thanks

Joncon11

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »
How about both at once? :o Not as bad as it looks, center stand proved to be very stable for this evolution.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
How about both at once? :o Not as bad as it looks, center stand proved to be very stable for this evolution.

Same here...  :)

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Rear wheel is easiest wheel removal I've ever done on a bike. Front is almost as easy. Definitely not worth it to pay someone else. Local Cycle Gear charges $20 for tire installation and I've had all my tires installed there.
Couldn't agree more....The C14 wheels are very easy to take off, assuming you have the proper tools.  I had to go out & buy a 27mm socket for the rr castle nut, and two 22mm deep sockets for my homemade frt axle tool...which i got the idea on here. Yes, highly recommend just taking the wheels off yourself, its not that hard.

I just replaced my tires this weekend, and just took the wheels in. They had the PR2's mounted & balanced in around 30min. This is off topic, but yes the PR2's are night & day difference compared to the OEM's. Very nice!
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
I have done all my own changes on all my bikes. I have already replaced the rear and hands down the easiest of all the bikes I have owned. I have not done the front yet...I was wondering if you just use the center stand and somehow strap down or weigh down the back so the front wheel is off the ground? If so how are you holding the back down and is the center stand enough clearance?

thanks
If you have something suitable on the floor to hook to, a tie down strap on the rear rack will work or if you have a top case you could put about 25 lbs in it. But I find it easier to just jack up on the headers with a floor jack.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.