Author Topic: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT  (Read 53567 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: CycleWord Comparison of Concours 14 vs Bmw K1600GT
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
Thanks. I was sick of the other one, it was so tiny you couldn't even see it was a Concours!  So I took one of the pictures of my bike used GIMP [ http://www.gimp.org ] on it with a "painting" effect.  Zoomed and cropped, voila!

Here is a bigger version (click to see):   (And original below it)

Nicely done bro!  :hail:

Would be even better if it was black though...  ;)

Offline joelc1400

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
The article shows both bikes' top speed ~145mph? Seriously?

The C14 in six gear will top out at that speed, but in 5th gear add +10Mph

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
I am not hoping for Kawasaki to do a 6 cly Concours but as I stated in my original post I would like
selectable mappings with the sport mode being more like a zx14.

I may not understand your comment, if its about the ECU the '10s and 11s have selectable "economy" and "haul-*ss" mode map settings.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »
Stevewfl,

I know the 10's and 11's have a selectable modes so You can select eco mode and "Haul-*ass" mode but isn't the "Haul-*ss" mode
the same mode that the 08 and 09 runs in all the time which is still not near as strong/fast as a zx14.

We have the zx14 based engine I just want a selectable mode that takes the "de-tuning" out of the picture.
Like a flies open all the time or maybe open at 3,000 instead of 6,000 rpms.

The HYBUSA has 3 modes that You can select with a push of a button and their SPORT mode is ZX14 FAST or FASTER!

thanks,
c14-Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »
Stevewfl,

I know the 10's and 11's have a selectable modes so You can select eco mode and "Haul-*ass" mode but isn't the "Haul-*ss" mode  the same mode that the 08 and 09 runs in all the time which is still not near as strong/fast as a zx14.

We have the zx14 based engine I just want a selectable mode that takes the "de-tuning" out of the picture.  Like a flies open all the time or maybe open at 3,000 instead of 6,000 rpms.

While I agree with your desire, and think another mode would be helpful (because the "normal" mode of the C-14 is still balanced for decent MPG), you can't expect all THAT much change.  The ZX14 is faster primarily because it weighs less and has an entirely different intake and exhaust system.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »
Stevewfl,

I know the 10's and 11's have a selectable modes so You can select eco mode and "Haul-*ass" mode but isn't the "Haul-*ss" mode
the same mode that the 08 and 09 runs in all the time which is still not near as strong/fast as a zx14.

We have the zx14 based engine I just want a selectable mode that takes the "de-tuning" out of the picture.

The HYBUSA has 3 modes that You can select with a push of a button and their SPORT mode is ZX14 FAST or FASTER!

thanks,
c14-Pilot

Just to clarify, the Hayabusa modes are for rain or loaning your bike to your grandmother to ride.  They not a "faster" modes, they are slower modes.

I understand your comment and what you are looking for, but just to be clear, the Concours engine has a lot of changes to give it more mid-range for touring duty.  The engines have a lot of internal differences from the ZX.   And the post above does not even come close - it's not just exhaust and intake.  They have different compression ratios, much different throttle bodies and cams.  That is basically everything about the engine except the displacement.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »
No oil drain plug?  BMW (Bike Made Weird).
no drain plug ?!? Taking it off my wish list (Post lottery win wish list)
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »
Stevewfl,

thanks,
c14-Pilot

OHHH gotcha, you compared directly witht he ZX14 bike.  Different everything, not just map.  And as was said, fuel mileage is so horrid sport-touring is about not an option because of distance between tanks.  Also not as "torquey" down low.

But I miss my old "rip your face off acceleration" and mega-straight line top speed performance!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »
Guys, I think your maybe looking at it wrong.  I love the K1600GT, the gadgets are great if you want them.  I love it when a manufacture comes out with a bike like this, it forces the bar to be raised and we ALL benefit from that!!!  I wish the price on the beemers was lower but I'm not concerned about that, Kawasaki isn't going for that demographic. 

Raise the bar and we all win, eventually!  I want to ride one ASAP!

Sofa King

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Guys, I think your maybe looking at it wrong.  I love the K1600GT, the gadgets are great if you want them.  I love it when a manufacture comes out with a bike like this, it forces the bar to be raised and we ALL benefit from that!!!  I wish the price on the beemers was lower but I'm not concerned about that, Kawasaki isn't going for that demographic. 

Raise the bar and we all win, eventually!  I want to ride one ASAP!

Also, I think it's important to realize what a compliment it is to this design to be compared to a motorcycle that is *so* much more expensive.  Of ALL the bikes out there, ours is the one that is getting the comparison.  Think about it, if Kawasaki wanted to build a machine in that price bracket what could Kawasaki build?  I like BMW's, had an old 3 series car and have friends with K and R bikes, but ultimately, I still think it's the Ultimate Draining Machine, your wallet that is...

Offline mkorn

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Also, I think it's important to realize what a compliment it is to this design to be compared to a motorcycle that is *so* much more expensive.  Of ALL the bikes out there, ours is the one that is getting the comparison.  Think about it, if Kawasaki wanted to build a machine in that price bracket what could Kawasaki build?  I like BMW's, had an old 3 series car and have friends with K and R bikes, but ultimately, I still think it's the Ultimate Draining Machine, your wallet that is...

Very good point!
  i would love to see a real cruise on the C14 ...
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline stuckinohio

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »
Here's my take.  I recently demo'ed the GT and GTL.  The GT is incredible.  Particularly the Engine.  Its amazingly smooth. And I love the cruise control, ability to raise the seat up and the option to have a stereo. I also like the riding position better,

I demo'ed the K1300GT right after I bought my 09, and I can say the C-14 is better than the K1300Gt, but this K1600GT is top notch.  I would buy one in a second, If I had the money (which I dont!)

Offline firetruck41

• No pictures means No Posting
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
I would like to see kawasaki redirect some of that top end power, in favor of more low and midrange monster grunt. how much time do we spend above 100mph. that's my 2cents
2011 connie. silver
corbin seat on order
motorcycle larry lowers.murphys risers
Givi E55 mono-key. passenger peg lowers

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
I would like to see kawasaki redirect some of that top end power, in favor of more low and midrange monster grunt. how much time do we spend above 100mph. that's my 2cents

More than I ought to!! ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »

They already did that.  The Concours engine is exactly what you want taken from the ZX-14.  Like quite a few others, I wish they would put the ZX engine in the Concours without neutering it.  Those six gear ratios are what you use when you want more acceleration.  If you don't want a SPORT/touring bike you can always buy an ST1300 sport/TOURING bike. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »
From the article
BMW has brought an end to three years of crushing dominance by Kawasaki’s Concours 14. The Bavarian Motor Works last earned the honor of Best Sport-Touring Bike in 2006-07 with its K1200GT and stepped up in a big way this year with its all-new K1600GT. Sure, it’s way more expensive than the C-14, but the standard-features list is long, and the accessories list is even longer. But even without the integrated navigation system, adaptive headlight, ESA II and more, the K1600GT’s torque-monster inline-Six and superbly comfortable, easy-steering chassis have changed the very idea of what sport-touring can be. If you don’t have the money, consider selling a kidney.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jsa

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
I just read the Cycle World comments and after spending over an hour on the K1600GT I don't understand how anyone can even put it in the Sport-Touring class, unless you limit Sport-Touring to very smooth and pretty straight roads.  The K1600GT is definitely the king of comfort when the road is smooth, although the C14 isn't far behind, but when the roads get twisty and bumpy in places the K1600GT is really out of its element and the ESA doesn't help much because it really doesn't do much, just some minor adjustments in rebound damping in the rear shock.  Riding the BMW around a 15 mph hairpin was like being on a big, overweight cruiser.  Overall, I liked the K1600GT and would buy one if it were not for the maintenance schedule and that my nearest BMW dealer is 150 miles away, but it would be my touring bike, not my sport touring bike.

They really should compare the K1600GT to the ST1300, since the BMW is really a heavier, faster version of the ST1300 with a lot more bells and whistles.  In the mean time, Don Canet should stick to evaluating motorcycles he knows something about; race bikes that are (barely) street legal.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
How much are they?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
i guess if we take price out of the picture you can compare these bikes ... but at 10 grand more ... it just can not be worth it.

I think the C14 is awesome for the price ... it handles well, has great power gets decent mileage for what it is and is comfy for long trips.

2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s